Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2014, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, QF Gold

Now have I been sleeping and missed this new hotel? I did a search and couldn't see any mention..

http://www.marriott.com.au/hotels/tr...porateCode=P42

Opens this month? Researching now!

Ah it was the Sebel Pier One.. http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_...uth_Wales.html
Old Jan 31, 2014, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Mentioned here.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...stralia-2.html
Old Jan 31, 2014, 9:35 pm
Original Poster

Urgh sorry.. search sucks sometimes! Please merge!

Update from that thread is it shows as Cat 7 now
Old Feb 3, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Looks like a cool hotel!
Old Feb 3, 2014, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

No “urgent” changes to the heritage listed building is expected following renovations last year to guest rooms and meeting facilities, but Mr Magid admitted the central entrance area was “tired” and along with the restaurant, can expect refurbishment pending DA approval and is earmarked for completion by September.
To celebrate its inauguration into Autograph Collection and for a limited time, the hotel is offering guests who stay two nights or more a complimentary upgrade to a water view suite with breakfast for two and double Marriott Rewards points.
http://karryon.com.au/marriott-takes...+over+Pier+One
Old Mar 26, 2014, 7:56 am

Stayed here last week for 6 nights (on vacation, on points). My quick review:

-Fairly small room, small window with a view of the Harbour Bridge.
-Room had minimal storage space for clothes (3 tiny drawers in closet), what appeared to be a dresser held the minibar and coffee/tea service
-Free breakfast was quite good, lots of variety
-Hard to explain the staff attitude but I didn't feel like we were all that welcome at the hotel. They were friendly when approached but never greeted us, etc. throughout the stay.
-Good location in The Rocks, lots of places to eat and drink within walking distance, public transportation not too terribly far (Circular Quay ~15min walk)
-While it felt nice it didn't seem worth the points and category ranking...I cleaned out my account to stay here thinking it was a bit more of a luxury hotel and it felt a bit dated and worn out. The intention was for it to be a more comfortable part of the vacation after motel hopping in NZ however we ended up enjoying those motels over this place...apples and oranges I know but worth pointing out.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the trip report! Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From your description it sounds like the Sydney Marriott is a better choice.

What is is with the drawer space? Sydney Marriott has virtually none. It is extremely annoying.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
From your description it sounds like the Sydney Marriott is a better choice.

What is is with the drawer space? Sydney Marriott has virtually none. It is extremely annoying.
Yeah, I would say so. Originally I was being points stingy and planned on staying in the North Ryde Courtyard as the Marriott didn't seem worth the difference to me. I guess the on the water appeal and pictures of harbour view suites drove me to the Pier One when it was announced. Granted I am very happy I didn't stay up in Ryde as the commute to do touristy things would get old quick but given another chance I would've stayed at the Marriott.

Crazy to hear about drawer space elsewhere. I was really looking forward to unpacking for a week after living out of a car the previous week...just ended up living out of a suitcase instead!
Old Mar 26, 2014, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We were on a two week tour of New Zealand, Sydney and Hong Kong and not being able to fully unpack drove me batty.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 1:51 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1MM,
Stayed here for the week of New Years and its one of my new favorite hotels. Its location cant be beat. Walkable to the Rocks area, about 15-17 minutes walk to the Circular Quay ferries, and cabs are only a few minutes away. There isnt a ton right by the hotel, but that can be a good thing. The views of the Harbor Bridge are spectacular. You will hear the train on the bridge, but that stops at night, and I didnt hear it much from our room. We stayed in a room that was on the west end of the hotel, meaning, closest to the bridge. Our view was under the bridge so we had a view of the Sydney Opera House, the bridge, and the majority of the harbor. This was clearly better than the other side where you also see water, but no landmarks. Our windows were small though, maybe 4x2 or something, definitely not the floor length of the other side, but I would rather have the amazing view we had.

We were there for New Years Eve, a great private party they hosted, and the most amazing view of the Harbor Bridge fireworks that I could ever imagine. I HIGHLY recommed this location and their parties. Hard to beat the location. Our local friends had a boat tour and their boat had to be so far back from the bridge, it was like watching it on a small TV. They were very envious that we got to be so close.

The staff is great, I have business cards from the Chef in the restaurant, the front desk Director, and the GM of the hotel, Kim, all of whom were fantastic. The breakfast is awesome, and aside from the confusing method of ordering coffee, the buffet and order stations are quick and plentiful. Be sure to check out whats in the tall glass refrigerators along the walls. Bottled water, amazing smoothies, and fresh cut fruit and yogurt. For coffee, there is a barista bar...sometimes when you are seated, your order is taken. Some days, we were pointed to a seat and we figured out that we had to walk up to the baristas to place an order. And yes, they make a great flat white!

Our room was larger than most, I could tell from the floor plan on the back of the door. There are 4 suites in the whole hotel, so I wouldnt expect upgrades beyond just a view. But our room was large with high ceilings on the third floor, and plenty of space for our bags. We were on the second week of a two week trip so we had lots of bags. Beds were very comfortable, and the wifi worked well. The bathrooms were very nice, although the sinks were a little small.

The lobby is very nice, the bar is beautiful with a great view. As someone else mentioned, the staff isnt the warmest at the bar. You kinda feel like you are at a posh club, and feel the similar attitude of such, but not enough to keep us from enjoying the great food, drinks, and views both there and on the patio along the water.

Again, I highly recommend this place. And try the free Sydney walking tours that take about three hours, starting at 1030a or 230p near city hall, and end near the hotel.
Old Jan 11, 2015, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Sounds like a great property!

Cheers.
Old Apr 8, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum
Does anyone have any recent updates on this property or comparisons with the Marriott at Circular Quay? We are planning a trip for New Years on award points and are looking to choose a place to stay. Both are relatively close to each other and Category 8, so any comments/suggestions?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 3:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Rhyick
Does anyone have any recent updates on this property or comparisons with the Marriott at Circular Quay? We are planning a trip for New Years on award points and are looking to choose a place to stay. Both are relatively close to each other and Category 8, so any comments/suggestions?
I second that. I am deciding between either hotel as my trip is in August 2016. Both seem pretty nice after reading many posts. This is a vacation and I love having hotels with a lounge where I can always get bottles of water, beer and have food to eat which saves on personal costs.

I read that the Pier One doesn't have a lounge. For those that have stayed or or seen both, is that enough to sway someone towards the with the Marriott at Circular Quay instead?

Or is the Pier One so nice that it overcomes not having a lounge?

Thanks in advance for the help

Last edited by alrvd83; Dec 29, 2015 at 9:43 pm
Old Dec 30, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
You can't beat the location of the Circular Quay one. On the other hand, it has dated decor inside in the public areas (although rooms are modern and refurbished) and when I was there in September the lounge was still a conference room, so not a great lounge.

I didn't go into the Pier One, but did see it as I walked down from the top of the Harbour Bridge! It is almost underneath it. As others have said, is next to the Rocks area, but to be fair Circular Quay is 5 mins walk from the other end of the rocks area too.

It all depends what you want your hotel for. We just wanted a good base and we ate and drank outside of the hotel. For that Circular Quay was great. Pier One I'd guess is a 15 min walk to Circular Quay, so not as close, but could well be a nicer hotel.

T

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.