Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection [Master Thread]

Pier One Sydney Harbour, Autograph Collection [Master Thread]

Old Dec 30, 2015, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you are going to be using the ferries and/or train for transit I would stay at the Marriott.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by toothy
You can't beat the location of the Circular Quay one. On the other hand, it has dated decor inside in the public areas (although rooms are modern and refurbished) and when I was there in September the lounge was still a conference room, so not a great lounge.

I didn't go into the Pier One, but did see it as I walked down from the top of the Harbour Bridge! It is almost underneath it. As others have said, is next to the Rocks area, but to be fair Circular Quay is 5 mins walk from the other end of the rocks area too.

It all depends what you want your hotel for. We just wanted a good base and we ate and drank outside of the hotel. For that Circular Quay was great. Pier One I'd guess is a 15 min walk to Circular Quay, so not as close, but could well be a nicer hotel.

T
The lounge being a conference room...now that's funny lol Doesn't sound to appealing but were the food/drinks good? It's always nice to have a lounge to stop by throughout the day for water bottle or beer at anytime.

Is this rock area a bad area or something?
(I have never been to Australia by the way)

This trip is myself and 7 of my male friends...a 10 day trip to Asia and Australia, so essentially a fun guy trip...sight seeing, eating, partying etc. With that now being said, which one would you choose?

PS...our trip last yr, we all stayed at the riding school renaissance in Vienna. That lounge was awesome for drinking and eating anytime throughout the day!
Old Dec 31, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
If you are going to be using the ferries and/or train for transit I would stay at the Marriott.
As we have never been to Sydney, I am not quite sure. When I travel internationally or domestically, I usually just use Uber.

Based on my post above, which one would you now suggest?

You are the forum master, so i respect your opinion!
Old Dec 31, 2015, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by alrvd83
The lounge being a conference room...now that's funny lol Doesn't sound to appealing but were the food/drinks good? It's always nice to have a lounge to stop by throughout the day for water bottle or beer at anytime.

This trip is myself and 7 of my male friends...a 10 day trip to Asia and Australia, so essentially a fun guy trip...sight seeing, eating, partying etc. With that now being said, which one would you choose?

PS...our trip last yr, we all stayed at the riding school renaissance in Vienna. That lounge was awesome for drinking and eating anytime throughout the day!
No the rocks isn't a bad area. It's the most historical part of the city and has lots of restaurants, bars, galleries, etc.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 11:07 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Wait a few months and you'll be able to stay at the Westin or Sheraton instead - both of which are much better than Pier One and the Marriott!
Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Given the Autograph Collection doesn't have a lounge you've probably answered your own question as to which one to stay at

Originally Posted by DCF
Wait a few months and you'll be able to stay at the Westin or Sheraton instead - both of which are much better than Pier One and the Marriott!
Well someone could stay at either of those now , but until the rewards programs merge & points accrue or awards can be redeemed (probably not 'til 2017) both sides are probably going to stick w/ their current programs.

Cheers.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by DCF
In the case of Rhyick, if s/he waits a few months properties may be sold out for New Years. For Rhyick I would recommend booking New Years 2016/2017 the day inventory is released, or even look for paid rates as in my case 5 years ago they posted very reasonable rates (269 AUD) for New Years which were available for about two weeks, until they realized their mistake and upped the rate to 599 AUD.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by aaupgrade
In the case of Rhyick, properties may be sold out for New Years. For Rhyick I would recommend booking New Years 2016/2017 the day inventory is released, or even look for paid rates as in my case 5 years ago they posted very reasonable rates (269 AUD) for New Years which were available for about two weeks, until they realized their mistake and upped the rate to 599 AUD.
In the case of Rhyick, he posted in April of this year about NYE so presumably he's there right now & enjoying (or has enjoyed) his stay there. For those looking to next year good advice.

Cheers.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 9:09 pm

I stayed at the Marriott for two nights in August, 2014, and two nights at Park Hyatt (near to where the Pier One is). I much prefered the location of the Marriott, and the lounge was great. Had a nice high room with a view as a Gold. Was treated well.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 3:02 am

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond

Yes you can pop into the lounge to get water, tea, coffee etc anytime. Alcohol is available at certain times. My comment about it being a conference room is simply that it doesn't really have any atmosphere, but if there's a group of you, then you'll make your own.

The Rocks is a good area. Plenty of bars and restaurants and as others have said, is the oldest area in Sydney, so has some real character.

Reading it's a group of you, I'd go for the Marriott.

T
Old Jan 2, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by joetro
I stayed at the Marriott for two nights in August, 2014, and two nights at Park Hyatt (near to where the Pier One is). I much prefered the location of the Marriott, and the lounge was great. Had a nice high room with a view as a Gold...
The lounge you experienced in August 2014, which I visited in February 2015, was, indeed, great. Beautiful views, great attendants, wonderful food and refreshments, lots of guests in that lounge---but plenty of room. Unfortunately, the property management decided to move the lounge to the first floor--and judging by some comments here, the results have not been good.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 3:36 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by DCF
I wish folks would add "IMO" to these kinds of posts. But, maybe it's implied.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ohmark
The lounge you experienced in August 2014, which I visited in February 2015, was, indeed, great. Beautiful views, great attendants, wonderful food and refreshments, lots of guests in that lounge---but plenty of room. Unfortunately, the property management decided to move the lounge to the first floor--and judging by some comments here, the results have not been good.
Well, since it is not open yet I'm not sure how anyone can have an opinion on the new lounge. People don't like the temp lounge- but temp lounges are usually marginal at best.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 10:44 am

aaupgrade posted in the Marriott property specific thread that the new lounge is expected to open in August.

Cheers.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 2:19 pm

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I just booked 3 nights at the Marriott for August 27th

But one thing sucks, for rewards redemption it only lets me choose a 1 king bed room. Since I need 2 beds, I hope it's not too difficult to request 2 beds and possibly get that granted...

Last edited by alrvd83; Jan 3, 2016 at 2:25 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.