Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Tokyo Marriott Hotel -- Shinagawa, Tokyo, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tokyo Marriott Hotel -- Shinagawa, Tokyo, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2014, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA Plat. Ex: DL PM, AA EXP, VX Gold,
Originally Posted by bmchris
OK. So that will be 1 King or 2 Singles? There won't be bedding for 3, right? I'm interested, since my situation is similar.
Plan would be to squeeze two into one of the "singles" - though I'd welcome guidance from anyone with experience if this isn't going to be physically possible. Photos leave me optimistic.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: AS; Aeroplan; Hilton (Diamond); Marriott (Platinum);
Originally Posted by avsrock90
Plan would be to squeeze two into one of the "singles" - though I'd welcome guidance from anyone with experience if this isn't going to be physically possible. Photos leave me optimistic.
Yeah, I'm staying at the Prince Sakura with two kids (7 and 9) as well as Ms Banffflyr, and thinking that I'm going to have some challenges with extra fees, etc... I'd be interested to hear about the experience at this property, specifically the Body Mass Index to bed size ratio
Old Dec 15, 2014, 11:52 am

Prince hotel you can get 2 doubles. Marriott is only 2 twins. From what I can gather from their websites.

2 doubles, from my experience, is fine unless your kids fidget. My kids move a bit in their sleep. I can't sleep with them. So I put the kids in the same bed. They seem to be able to get enough sleep even with fidgetting, while I don't. I can sleep in a double with my wife fine, since she sleeps like a log.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: AS; Aeroplan; Hilton (Diamond); Marriott (Platinum);
Originally Posted by bmchris
Prince hotel you can get 2 doubles. Marriott is only 2 twins. From what I can gather from their websites.

2 doubles, from my experience, is fine unless your kids fidget. My kids move a bit in their sleep. I can't sleep with them. So I put the kids in the same bed. They seem to be able to get enough sleep even with fidgetting, while I don't. I can sleep in a double with my wife fine, since she sleeps like a log.
Great. Tentatively have a 2 double room booked for Prince. Any thoughts on if they will charge for the 2 kids if they sleep in our beds?
Old Dec 26, 2014, 9:42 pm

Deluxe or Superior room

What's the difference between these 2 types of room?
Deluxe as per description is that it's a corner room.
Not sure which room I should choose.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 4:24 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Good hotel

Just had a one night stay here over the weekend. Suprisingly it is next to my company's Japan HQ. This used to be the La Floret hotel.

Location: About 10 mins walk by foot from Shinagawa station (Takanawa exit). There is a shuttle bus provided - go to Bus stop number 6. It is complimentary and runs rather frequently during the week and less in the weekend. It is not a Marriott exclusive bus, so it can get crowded especially during peak hours. Attached here is the schedule as valid as posted.

Becareful that around Shinagawa itself, there is basically not much to do especially in the weekends when offices are close.

Lobby:
The lobby is rather hidden, when you enter the hotel, you are greeted first by the Lounge and Dining G (restaurant). There is a concierge at the entrance. I reported to him and he looked up my room and told me to proceed directly to the Exec Lounge to check in. There was someone waiting at the entrance already to greet me.

Check-in:
Was fast and efficient as expected by Japanese standard. Given all the different vouchers for breakfast at the Lounge and Dining G, Nightcap coupon (because the lounge closes at 10pm), 10% off voucher for dining and internet access.

Room
Very well appointed. A modern contemporary style room. If I remember correctly I was upgraded to a Deluxe room, which in Japanese standard was a rather huge room. I had a view out to the Shinagawa station and the port area. Could also see planes landing and taking off in the afar HND airport. (becareful for light sleepers - you can still hear the train running on the 20th floor)

Bathroom/Toilet:
Very well equipped. However the bathtub was most probably from the old establishment. Other than that, I did not see any other things which looks to be from the old hotel. Water pressure was strong for a nice powerful shower.

Executive lounge:
Located at the ground floor (same as the lobby). Not the most exciting one as there are no windows/view. Evening offerings are ok. Sufficient to make a meal out of it (though in Japan - why make lounge food your main meal). Here is a copy of the EL guidelines.

Overall, a good hotel with good connections to the different parts of Tokyo for tourist or business. I will certainly return to this property if I am in the area as it is connected to both HND and NRT conveniently.

Cheers
Old Jan 13, 2015, 4:44 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by nldogbert
Overall, a good hotel with good connections to the different parts of Tokyo for tourist or business. I will certainly return to this property if I am in the area as it is connected to both HND and NRT conveniently.
Thanks for the timely review. Contemplating this property for a 4 night stay next month since it is "dirt cheap," (€108/night +/-). With the Platinum benefits, seems like a "steal." I'll be with my 13 year old daughter, so just two of us in a room.

Any reason why this would be a bad choice for a first visit to Tokyo? (keep in mind, my main activity during this weekend+ stay will be the daughter visiting a friend who moved away last year.... we are staring in Kyoto for two days, at the Ritz on points)
Old Jan 16, 2015, 3:11 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Just had a one night stay here over the weekend.
Thanks for the excellent recap. We just returned from a five day stay at the property; we checked in on Saturday (10 Jan) so we may have been there at the same time. Our experience basically mirrors yours, so I will try and fill in a little on our personal experiences in the hope it will be useful to others.

I booked a 30-day advanced booking rate (but still refundable) of 11,500 yen a night, which booked into a Superior Room. I had contacted the property in advance to request an upgrade and upon check in (in the lounge), I was told our room was a Deluxe room with a bay view. Our assigned room was on the 17th floor and faced Haneda. We did note some rail traffic noise from below, but it was not disturbing. Our room faced the rising sun almost directly, so the excellent blackout curtains were appreciated.

Here's the view:

The free internet was fast. I do believe there is a device limit, as I couldn't get my iPhone registered after connecting my laptop, iPad, and wife's iPhone. I had rented a personal WiFi, so it wasn't an issue. I also was pleased that I was only charged the standard local telephone call rate of 10 yen, rather than some metered mark up.

We arrived from Shinkansen from Osaka via the Shinkansen and found the bus stop for the shuttle easily. During our stay, we mostly used the shuttle to get to Shinagawa and walked back. This was largely to the early shuttle cutoff time on the weekend/holiday or not wanting to wait for the next shuttle.

We have been to Tokyo before and my wife lived there for many years so is both fluent in Japanese and also familiar with navigating the city. This is a big help in dealing with the transit options to the hotel, which largely are dependent on JR Rail from Shinagawa. This being the case, having use of the tail end of our JR Rail Passes for the Shinkansen came in handy the first two days. After that, we just loaded money onto our SUICA cards. I'll also note that while the Kitashinagawa Station is closer to the hotel, it is only served by the Keikyu Main Line and runs largely away from Tokyo so I don't think it's a viable option for most hotel guests. The JR Yamanote Line from Shinagawa is most likely going to be the most used to reach points of interest, either directly or by connecting to Tokyo Metro.

For our departure, we elected to use the Limousine Bus to NRT, mainly for the convenience of not having to schlep luggage to Shinagawa for the N'EX. It was pouring rain yesterday, so that was a plus (the stop FROM the hotel to Shinagawa is across the street from the station so it's about a 3 min walk outside). When using the bus, it's important to note that some busses start at the Marriott and others stop there after making stops at other hotels. I picked a bus that started at the Marriott to ensure better seats and also noted that it made fewer stops than the bus that departed before it. Reservations were made at the Bell Desk a few days in advance, and I had no problems charging it to the room. There's something to be said about the convenience of door-to-door pickup and dropoff service versus dealing with the N'EX stations and also the bus isn't that much slower during non-rush hour times.

We found the staff quite friendly and enjoyed our breakfasts each day. We also enjoyed having the lounge available to us to stock up on waters, sodas, and snacks. There is a convenience store in the basement of the Gotenyama Trust building next door for additional options. There is also a row of decent ramen stands just adjacent to the Shinagawa Station on the side closest to the hotel so it's maybe a seven minute walk to the hotel if you don't want to backtrack to the shuttle stop.

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Any reason why this would be a bad choice for a first visit to Tokyo?
My wife and I had this discussion during our stay and our consensus was that for the first time visitor, the lack of proximity to transit and other points of interest would be a challenge. Our basic strategy was to leave the hotel in the morning and not return until we had finished all of our activities for the day. Sometimes, especially during the weekend, that meant walking back up the hill from Shinagawa. We found ourselves timing our departures based on the shuttle schedule, which isn't too hard, but still a limitation. It also meant we missed the afternoon and evening lounge options and night caps (no large loss).

Shinagawa is a fine station for JR Rail, especially the Shinkansen and the Yamanote Line, but many places are better reached via the Tokyo Metro, so that involves extra transfers. Again, this is where local knowledge of how to navigate the transit system comes in handy. One night, we took the Toei #96 Bus from Roppongi, which involved a 10 min wait in the chilly (mid-30s) bus stop. The Tohei Bus stop is just past the hotel; maybe a two minute walk back to the property. I cannot stress how useful a smartphone with a pocket WiFi is for navigating the streets of Japanese cities and finding transit options via GoogleMaps or other such apps.

I suspect, in general, a first time visitor will be looking for a base of operations that is easily convenient to points of interest and would like to make frequent stops during the day back at the hotel to drop off items and relax/rest (something like this member's experience). The Tokyo Marriott isn't quite suited to that as the time/logistics of transiting Shinagawa via the walk/shuttle make the logistics tiring and limiting. Given the low price we paid compared to the benefits we received, it really is an attractive option for Marriott Elites, but there is a small penalty for the location.

Originally Posted by canadianidol
What's the difference between [a Superior and Deluxe Room type]?
I am not certain, but I suspect a Superior Room is on a lower floor (the rooms start on the second floor). I'm not sure what the views are for the West-facing rooms, but I've gotten the impression from my stays in hotels in Japan that preferable views are also considered an upgrade.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 16, 2015 at 7:17 pm
Old Jan 17, 2015, 12:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
My wife and I had this discussion during our stay and our consensus was that for the first time visitor, the lack of proximity to transit and other points of interest would be a challenge. Our basic strategy was to leave the hotel in the morning and not return until we had finished all of our activities for the day. Sometimes, especially during the weekend, that meant walking back up the hill from Shinagawa. We found ourselves timing our departures based on the shuttle schedule, which isn't too hard, but still a limitation. It also meant we missed the afternoon and evening lounge options and night caps (no large loss).

Shinagawa is a fine station for JR Rail, especially the Shinkansen and the Yamanote Line, but many places are better reached via the Tokyo Metro, so that involves extra transfers. Again, this is where local knowledge of how to navigate the transit system comes in handy. One night, we took the Toei #96 Bus from Roppongi, which involved a 10 min wait in the chilly (mid-30s) bus stop. The Tohei Bus stop is just past the hotel; maybe a two minute walk back to the property. I cannot stress how useful a smartphone with a pocket WiFi is for navigating the streets of Japanese cities and finding transit options via GoogleMaps or other such apps.

I suspect, in general, a first time visitor will be looking for a base of operations that is easily convenient to points of interest and would like to make frequent stops during the day back at the hotel to drop off items and relax/rest (something like this member's experience). The Tokyo Marriott isn't quite suited to that as the time/logistics of transiting Shinagawa via the walk/shuttle make the logistics tiring and limiting. Given the low price we paid compared to the benefits we received, it really is an attractive option for Marriott Elites, but there is a small penalty for the location.
OK, I "think" you have convinced me not to stay here. While the (refundable/changeable) rate for 15,000 yen/night seems tempting; I think you have given me good thoughts with regard to hotel selection. Onto "plan B!"

Thanks!
Old Jan 17, 2015, 9:25 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
One thing I will add is that for me, part of the fun of staying in Tokyo is access to the wide variety of food and shops. Unfortunately, the immediate area around the Marriott is lacking in both. Our last day, we were looking for a quick bite to eat and didn't feel like eating in the hotel restaurant so we took the shuttle to Shinagawa Station (most major train stations have decent food options for the commuters). We weren't thrilled with what was available in the public area outside of the fare control gates so we ended up going to one of the ramen stands that I mentioned above.

By comparison, if you stay at one of the Ginza or Tokyo Station properties, you will be in the middle of a wide variety of shops and restaurants which is great for wandering. We found great options in the basement level of the Tokyo Station and the Daimaru department store next to it. I also highly recommend a trip to the food floor of a store like Mitsukoshi for an amazing selection of decent quality food at a reasonable price.

I'd recommend a first-time visitor to look for a property that is more centrally located and/or has better proximity to the Tokyo Metro system.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
FlyinHawaiian provided an exec lounge in the exec lounge sticky that had additional information. I've updated the exec lounge sticky to reflect that the lounge is open, but thought the additional info would be of interest to FTers. Thx to FH for the input.

"Tokyo / Marriott / OPEN; Breakfast in restaurant

The above is true as of January 2015.

The hours are 0600-2200, seven days a week, with coffee, tea, soft drinks, and light snacks available. Guests are encouraged to take items out of lounge for use in room or elsewhere.

Breakfast is offered in "Restaurant G" in the lobby between 0630 and 1000. Coupons are given for each day.

Afternoon Tea is 1430-1700

Evening Snack is 1730-1930

Full Bar is 1730-2130

Night Cap (cookies, nuts, beverage) is offered in lobby lounge/restaurant 2200-2330. A coupon is given for the duration of the stay."

Cheers.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 5:03 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
FlyinHawaiian provided an exec lounge in the exec lounge sticky that had additional information. I've updated the exec lounge sticky to reflect that the lounge is open, but thought the additional info would be of interest to FTers. Thx to FH for the input.

Cheers.
This info was in the picture of my post that I attached
Old Jan 24, 2015, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
This info was in the picture of my post that I attached
Well thanks to both of you then!

Cheers.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 12:56 am

FlyinHawaiian, you convinced me to book elsewhere; so I booked the Ritz-Tokyo. Thank you for all of your insights.
Old May 18, 2015, 1:48 pm

Are there any recommendations for a laundromat near the Marriott? We're going to be washing 2 family week loads, so hotel rates will be prohibitively expensive. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.