Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Taipei Marriott Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taipei Marriott Hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2015, 9:59 am
jix

Programs: Marriott Gold, JGC, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, AC 25K
Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
I just hope it won't say it will be opening in November 2015, as I am planning to stay there in late October
Just completed a stay at Marriott Taipei. Accordingly to them, the hotel will open officially in October.

Will post pictures and full review later this week, below is a brief summary of the current state of things as compared to similar hotels in the city. (Westin/Sheraton, in this case)

Room: Rooms are still being made ready floor by floor. There are some small areas that needs polishing but overall good quality bed and bath.

Facility: None ready, other than lobby. Gym, pool, and restaurant will be available for use when opened.

Service: Generally what you expect from top hotel in the city, warm and helpful attitude. English skill seems proficient for the staff encountered. Again, small area that needs polishing but nothing major.

Overall: Currently the hotel is still new, with protective films in many places including elevator panels and front desk counter, so it gives a feel of newly constructed home that's not quite ready to be showcased.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 9:59 am
jix

Disclaimer: This is a factual review of the stay I completed last week. Since Marriott Taipei has not opened yet, the official hard and soft product will likely be adjusted accordingly on or after the official opening some time later this year. Some of the points mentioned in the review below may only be isolated to the room/staff I encountered and does not represent all the rooms of the hotel or the service of the staff. I have strong confidence that the hotel will be in much better shape and fully ready when opened later this year.

Not reviewed due to facility not yet opened: Restaurant, fitness center, and pool.

Arrival: Arrived via car at the hotel entrance but did not find anyone outside. All doors were shut so we turned around and circled around the hotel again thinking there may be a different entrance. Turned out that the entrance was correct but since they're not officially opened yet all doors were closed and no staff is present outside. We parked near the main door and as soon as we stopped and walked out, the hotel staff came to get the doors and luggage.

Check-in: Lobby was big, with check-in counter situation not far from the entrance, passing through the elevators on the left side. There were about 10 staff behind the counter and around us which is slightly overwhelming. The staff were friendly and welcoming with proficient English skills, the whole process took about 10-15 minutes with us chatting about the hotel and them being excited with their first guests. There is bar adjacent to the check-in lobby and has some nice couch with a relaxing atmosphere, although it seems unmanned during the time we visited.

The room type was explained by the agent. A king size bed with a view of Miramar complex. No elite benefits was mentioned, additionally the check-out time was also not mentioned until asked (11am). The manager and a bellboy then took us up to our room along with our luggage chatting about our trip prior to arrival of the hotel.

Bedroom: The bedroom was on 16th floor, near the corner with a view facing the Miramar complex on the north side. The king size bed feels rather more like 2 double beds combined and was very spacious. The mattress was on the firm side, tho I forgot to check the label before leaving as we hurried to check out the next day.

The room came with the standard amenities: slippers, bathrobes, desk/chair, and working station. There are many universal power ports on the walls by the bed and desk, as well as a HDMI port and ethernet port.

Mini bar was not available during the stay, the fridge was empty except with 2 bottles of water. Per the room description there is a mini bar available so I expect them to stock the fridge once they figure out the pricing and such. The counter above had the regular 2x mugs, glasses, and a small selection of tea/coffee and a water kettle.

Technology: The wireless connection had decent signal inside the room, tho it was unsecured and works as soon as connected and I expect the hotel to implement a login splash page once they open. Speed wise, it looks like they capped the download and upload speeds at 4M each when tested.

The TV in the room was about 50 or 52 inch from Panasonic. The TV software contains cable TV channels, on-demand movie, wireless mirror streaming via Miracast (iOS, Androis, PC), personal message, headline (RSS). The Miracast function was pretty useful and we tried connecting Andriod tablet to the TV and it was pretty quick and seamless. The TV was not yet ready during our stay, so there was no cable channels and the only available media to watch was the hotel's movie on demand service. The selection was not too impressive (much older than say current airline movie selections) so the service was not used.

HDMI connection port was found on the wall but no cable was found in the room. We asked for a cable to be delivered but the port did not seem to work as it was supposed to connect directly to the all-in-one media center from Marriott, but no HDMI-in option was available in their customized software. In the end we just connected the HDMI directly to the TV's HDMI port.

Bathroom: Spacious, clean and well lit with a dual tone marble theme. On the counter there are Thann amenity provided but no cups or glass put on the counter. Rain shower but no washlet installed in the toilet, which is rather rare now in high end hotels across Taipei.

Now the not so good part.

I find that the bathroom may have been constructed poorly or in a rush, despite the hotel staff telling us that the room was previously tested throughly.

In the marble surface inside the shower, there were heavy scratches that can't be caused by regular use, it was more likely scratched by furniture dragging. Also inside the shower there were also little pieces of sharp marble left on the shower floor, presumably left by hurried construction, and poses as a safety hazard as it can actually cause harm when stepped on by bare foot.

A visible dent/crack showing the black metal plate was also found inside the bath tub, likely caused by large object dropped onto the tub.

One of the amenity provided had some sort of dirt covering it, but this is more for the housekeeping staff service for not noticing before placing in bathroom.

Water wise, the temperature control was not very steady with hot/warm water randomly switching inside the shower room. Also, during the first time the bathtub was used, the water that came out contained dusty particles/rust and we had to let the water flow for quite a while before using it.

Room Service: We had dinner and breadfast in the room during our stay, given that we couldn't really go out anywhere nearby due to the Typhoon. The service was excellent with very very timely arrival (requested dinner at 8pm to be delivered at 9pm, then door bell rang precisely at 9pm) as well as reasonable preparation time (requested breakfast around 9am and it was delivered 15 minutes after.)

The meal was excellent in both presentation and taste. I was rather impressed with the options available given that the restaurant in the hotel has not yet opened.

The only slight down side to the service was that, in both times the personnel did not set the break on the trolley (which we dine on) and we had to do it ourselves to prevent the table from moving. It was especially noticeable during the rocking motion of the building when the strong wind hit.

Evening Turndown: When we returned to the room we found the room had the turndown service completed. I only noticed a pair of slippers was placed on each side of the bed and the curtain completely closed. No weather card was placed or chocolate offered.

Check Out: At check out, we informed the front desk becoming coming down since earlier the guest elevators were closed due to high winds. Nevertheless it was working when we came down, and as soon as we arrived at the lobby 5-6 staff members came to greet us to get our luggage, and check on us if we're alright last night after the typhoon. They seem genuinely concerned about our trip and were trying to help us in all ways possible to get to our next destination.

When my Uber arrived (kudos to the driver for driving out at such weather and stop right at the hotel entrance that's rather unmarked and completely deserted) a team of the lobby staff guarded us to our car. While it was only about 20 meters from the front door to to curb, the strong wind made it difficult to walk and open our eyes to watch out for debris. They took our luggages, held the hotel door, ran to the car and held the door for us to get in, then placed the luggages in the car and stayed outside all the way until we turned at a corner.

Typhoon Soudelor: It is worth mentioning that the we checked-in on the night when typhoon Soudelor hit Taipei. For the entire night and most of the morning after, we felt our room was trembling back and forth being on the 16 floor. The wind was extremely strong and can be heard throughout the day, as we didn't get to sleep much worrying about the situation. The hotel however provided quite well for us and were very proactive in helping with our needs and the building was, after all, very safe to remain in as there was no substantial damage afterwards.

The surrounding area was hit quite bad, with trees down and building signs blown away as there were very few tall buildings nearby to lessen the blow. The parking cashier's booth next the hotel entrance was blown away, the nearby Carrefour logo was gone too and most of the trees on the ground have been pulled. The Marriott logo on the hotel was no where to be found when we left.

Last edited by jix; Aug 15, 2015 at 12:52 pm
Old Aug 12, 2015, 11:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Thanks for the report jix

Regardless of some of the not so good parts, I am looking forward to my stay in late October!
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update & pics. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 10:59 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Thanks for the review. You checked in just as typhoon Soudelor hit.

We happened to see the news (in Canada) reporting a 300km typhoon approaching Taiwan. Fortunately it weakened a bit before hitting Taiwan. Ha, good to know the hotel held up.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 2:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Thanks for the report.

Crazy the M blew away overnight
Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:50 pm
jix

Originally Posted by beckoa
Thanks for the report.

The Carrefour logo too on the building next door.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
Thanks for the report.

That big red M does not seem to be aerodynamically designed. I guess Marriott does not do any windtunnel testing on their logos
Old Sep 16, 2015, 9:04 am

Cat 6 property. Website says exec lounge open daily; located on 19th floor.

Cheers.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 11:24 am

Hotel officially open; press release on Marriott website today.

http://news.marriott.com/2015/09/mar...ott-hotel.html

Excerpts:

"Combining Marriott Hotel’s design and innovation with local Taiwanese warmth and hospitality, the Taipei Marriott Hotel is the first five-star international hotel in the dynamic Dazhi area of Taipei, the capital’s new commercial hub. The largest integrated destination complex in Taiwan, the Taipei Marriot offers 320 luxury hotel rooms, a modern convention center, a high-end shopping mall and luxury apartments.

Perfect for business and leisure travelers, the Taipei Marriott Hotel is only 10 minutes from Songshan International Airport and five minutes from Neihu Technology Park by car. The MRT Jiannan Rd. station, beautiful Mt. Jiannan Trail and Miramar Shopping Center are also short walks away. The Taipei Marriott Hotel is the closest five-star hotel to the National Palace Museum, a favorite cultural attraction for both locals and visitors.

a rooftop garden and chapel. Its lush green landscape surroundings offer an oasis to travelers who seek escape after a long day in bustling Taipei. As a part of Marriott’s “Green Hotel Development” initiative, indigenous shrubbery and flowering plants can be found throughout the grounds interspersed with pieces of art and sitting areas. Inspired by the nearby butterfly biosphere reserve on Mt. Jiannan, an aluminium sculpture named “Butterflies” and created by Spanish artist Manolo Valdes, sits in the center of the landscape to serve as a tribute to nature and the arts.

a fully-equipped health-club on the 19th floor offers a 24-hour fitness center with state-of-the-art equipment and a rooftop swimming pool with wonderful views of the Miramar Park Ferris Wheel. "
Old Oct 22, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Has anyone stayed here since the official opening?

I am checking in on Sunday for a 2 night stay and curious about elite perks etc (Gold). On the website there is a notice that construction is ongoing in the Executive Lounge and the Pool is closed.

Jix thanks for the pictures - nice looking hotel.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:39 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum Premier
I'm checking in Saturday and wondering the same! Is the exec lounge open yet?
Old Oct 23, 2015, 11:36 am

If your stay is this weekend, please post after your stay.

Cheers.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM; HH Diamond; GM for everything else
I usually stay at a small local hotel that is a block away from this Marriott facility.

Just checked the room rate for both weekend days and weekdays in December. NTD6880 (about $240 USD) per night at the lowest. This rate would be out of my company's travel policy.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum Premier
Here's my review:

Great staff, one of the best full-service Marriott's that I've stay at so far, better than any of the Marriott's I've stayed in the states so far (5-yrs Platinum)

Concierge Lounge is open despite what their website says. Gym and shower facilities were top notch. Rooftop pool was not open yet when I visited.

Looks like they finished up "polishing" all of the issues that was from jix's stay (posted earlier in this thread).

Loved the bed (was on the firm side, which is traditionally Asian). I had this fancy TOTO washlet toilet with a million buttons that I never used except for the one flush button. Room was well designed, although on the small side. Loved the buttons bedside that controlled every light in the room (wished they did this more in other Marriott's).

I got the welcome gift at check-in instead of the 500 points. Definitely worth it, as the half bottle of wine was nice (although already decanted when arrived), and the traditional Taiwanese sweets.

Only issue was the area: it wasn't in the most busiest area in Taipei (compared to the W Taipei), although access to the MRT was easy. There is a new shopping mall nearby with a movie theater, and some kid's attractions. Also some supermarkets to buy items you might need. Food options were limited to some very limited shops across the street, or the nearby 3 very large food courts with numerous options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.