Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Waikoloa Beach Marriott (Kona, Hawaii) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Westcoaster
Hotel website: Waikoloa Beach Marriott (Kona, Hawaii)

Daily resort fee of USD 30 in addition to room rate includes self-parking, cultural activities, beach rentals and more. NOTE: Effective September 14, 2017 they no longer include self-parking in with resort fee benefits. Parking is charged separately.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2004, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Anyone stay at this property before? As a platinum, what kind of treatment should I expect? Does anyone know how far the Volcano NP is from this hotel? Thanks.
Old May 13, 2004, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I stayed there in 2001, before it was a Marriott. Very nice place in a good location. Volcano National Park is way on the other side of the island, about 90 minutes away, as I recall.

Bruce
Old May 13, 2004, 11:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I was there in Oct 2002 on an ALON stay at the Hilton next door. We went over to the Outrigger (now the Marriott) for a couple of boat cruises. The boat cruises all took off from their marina.

I recall that the hotel had kind of a...spartan...look to it. Marriott Hotels tend to have a more upscale appearance to them. This property did not have the look and feel of, say, the Renaissance Wailea and clearly appeared to be a full step down from the Hilton next door.

Since it was an Outrigger at the time, I wonder if a lot of money was sunk into upgrading the property in the past year. It certainly has a nice location and a better beach area than HWV. If they were able to go in and give it a true "Marriott feel", then it would be a great place to spend a Hawaiian vacation.

I don't recall exact distances, but it sure seemed like about three hours to get to the volcano from there - not 90 minutes. (But I could be wrong...it just seemed like a loooooong drive.)
Old May 13, 2004, 11:36 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by pinniped
I was there in Oct 2002 on an ALON stay at the Hilton next door. We went over to the Outrigger (now the Marriott) for a couple of boat cruises. The boat cruises all took off from their marina.

I recall that the hotel had kind of a...spartan...look to it. Marriott Hotels tend to have a more upscale appearance to them. This property did not have the look and feel of, say, the Renaissance Wailea and clearly appeared to be a full step down from the Hilton next door.

Since it was an Outrigger at the time, I wonder if a lot of money was sunk into upgrading the property in the past year. It certainly has a nice location and a better beach area than HWV. If they were able to go in and give it a true "Marriott feel", then it would be a great place to spend a Hawaiian vacation.

I don't recall exact distances, but it sure seemed like about three hours to get to the volcano from there - not 90 minutes. (But I could be wrong...it just seemed like a loooooong drive.)
You're right - three hours should do it, driving down the Kona side. Might be a tad shorter via the Hilo side but not by much. Fellow kama`aina slippahs has posted Big Island driving times in the OP's post in the Hawai`i Forum

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 13, 2004 at 12:02 pm
Old May 13, 2004, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for everyone's responses, it definitely helps w/the planning! So if I will only spend 1 nite there, do you think it's a bad idea to stay at the Marriott & do the commute? I'm guessing the answer is yes. Are there any hotels that are decent near the NP?
Old May 13, 2004, 12:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by subdawg
Thanks for everyone's responses, it definitely helps w/the planning! So if I will only spend 1 nite there, do you think it's a bad idea to stay at the Marriott & do the commute? I'm guessing the answer is yes. Are there any hotels that are decent near the NP?
I don't know the Big Island all that well beyond my one trip there two years ago, but I do know that there is one hotel inside the NP itself. We ate lunch there and thought about what a wonderful place to stay it would have been had we known about it. Beautiful views across the volcanic landscape from the hotel... I am guessing that it is in high demand during peak season, but I have no idea what the rates/availability actually are.

If that doesn't work, Hilo is the closest large town to the volcano. Something South of Kona might not be bad either, but I don't know what is down that way. I would probably stay in Hilo - decent access to the volcano, plus decent access to the northeast rainforest part of the island.
Old May 13, 2004, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Hilo is much closer to the park, and it has an airport, too. If you can spend your one night there, it would save you lots of driving time.

Bruce
Old May 13, 2004, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by bdschobel
Hilo is much closer to the park, and it has an airport, too. If you can spend your one night there, it would save you lots of driving time.

Bruce
Or just do what I've always done....fly in and out of Hilo the same day
Old May 13, 2004, 3:22 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by subdawg
Thanks for everyone's responses, it definitely helps w/the planning! ... Are there any hotels that are decent near the NP?
No problem - hope you have a wonderful trip and enjoy the Aloha State.

I'd suggest you perform a search in the Hawai`i Forum for "Volcano House" to read FTers' review of the hotel that is within the Park. A search for "Hilo Hotels" will reveal a few threads about the choices there (don't expect much) There are also a few bed and breakfasts in Hilo.

www.tripadvisor.com is also a good source of hotel reviews
Old May 18, 2004, 2:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
We stayed there in 2002 just before it became a Marriott. Decent hotel, not as nice as the Ihilani we were in the first part of the trip. Good location with shopping center across the street. But everything is pricey! Good beach and pool.

We did the volcanoes thing. It's a couple of hours via northern route. We did that because it's an easier drive and we wanted to have breakfast in Waimea. We left early morning, got into park about lunchtime. Stayed after sunset to watch lava flows near ocean at night. Back to hotel around 1am. Try to maximize your time at the park as it is really something to see!
Old May 20, 2004, 6:53 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
The best hotel near the volcano is Kilauea Lodge, just outside the national park, in the village of Volcano. It also has an excellent restaurant. But you pay accordingly.

We were not too enamoured with the Marriott at Waikoloa - the accommodations we were given were not as good as you'd expect at at a mainland Marriott, though I understand the better rooms are fine if you can get them. It does have the advantage of being only a couple of minutes' walk from Roy's, one of the best restaurants on the Island (another is Merriman's in Waimea).

The eating facilities at the Marriott are not wonderful and quite expensive, but the area between the hotel and the sea is great - much better than the ghastly Hilton next door.
Old May 20, 2004, 4:39 pm

Programs: CO Gold (RIP UA), AA PLT (2MM), MR PLT
jk5598224

I stayed their in Dec of 2003. It was just OK to below average. Other than the Marriott badges, it is a Outrigger with Outrigger quality. This Outrigger aka Marriott is night and day compared to any of the other Hawaii properties IMO. (I have stayed at the JW, Kauai Marriott, Ren Maui and Honolulu Marriott.)
Old Aug 23, 2004, 11:42 am

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Waikoloa Marriott Comments Please - Thanks.

Am headed to Waikoloa Marriott in a few days, would welcome input re:

1. Pool chairs - Are there enough?

2. Jacuzzi - Is there one? If so, does it have a view?

3. Beach - How far is it? Website suggests hotel is on the beach, yet others have said it isn't?

4. Platinum Upgrades - What are the chances of PLT upgrade if on an award?

5. For those who have stayed at Wailea Marriott, please compare the properties. I love Wailea Marriott..

Aloha and Mahalo...
Old Aug 23, 2004, 4:12 pm

Gee, freeup.....I thought you had stayed in every Hawaii hotel by now!

Can't help you much except to confirm that the hotel definitely is on the beach, and a nice one at that (stayed there for my honeymoon many moons ago when it was a Sheraton property, and was there again last summer for a luau while staying at the nearby HWV.)

Have fun!
Old Aug 23, 2004, 4:57 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
Thanks Lori

Aloha Lori and thanks...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.