FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   JW Marriott Grosvenor House (London, UK) [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1529215-jw-marriott-grosvenor-house-london-uk-master-thread.html)

lexdevil Jul 10, 2014 6:25 am

Is the lounge still closed for renovations?

I know that it was supposed to be closed through late June, but I see on Tripadvisor that it was still closed in early July. Does anyone know if it is still closed and/or when they now expect it to re-open? I have a stay coming up in early August and would probably switch to ensure lounge access.

SkiAdcock Jul 10, 2014 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by lexdevil (Post 23173917)
I know that it was supposed to be closed through late June, but I see on Tripadvisor that it was still closed in early July. Does anyone know if it is still closed and/or when they now expect it to re-open? I have a stay coming up in early August and would probably switch to ensure lounge access.

I just called Grosvenor House. The exec lounge re-opened yesterday. I'll adjust the wiki & exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.

lexdevil Jul 10, 2014 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 23176151)
I just called Grosvenor House. The exec lounge re-opened yesterday. I'll adjust the wiki & exec lounge sticky.

Thank you!

lexdevil Jul 10, 2014 8:32 pm

Inadvertent re-post.

cmcc Jul 11, 2014 1:38 am

New JW Grosvenor Concierge Lounge

We arrived here on Wednesday, which is the first day the new lounge opened and, wow. It is now on the ground floor just to the right of the elevators. It is many times larger than the old one, I have no idea how they found that much space. The decor is very modern, open from 6 AM to midnight, tons of great food for breakfast, supper, desserts, and wine and beer starting at 7:00pm.

SkiAdcock Jul 11, 2014 9:46 am

Originally Posted by cmcc (Post 23179010)
We arrived here on Wednesday, which is the first day the new lounge opened and, wow. It is now on the ground floor just to the right of the elevators. It is many times larger than the old one, I have no idea how they found that much space. The decor is very modern, open from 6 AM to midnight, tons of great food for breakfast, supper, desserts, and wine and beer

Thanks for the update! Look forward to seeing it.

Here's what it says on the website:

Open: Sun-Sat, Open: 6am-12am
Complimentary food:
- Continental breakfast
- afternoon tea
- hors d'oeuvres
- dessert
Complimentary non-alcoholic beverages
Business services, for a fee
Complimentary wine and sparkling wine
Complimentary WIFI
Access is included for up to two people per room

Cheers.

dayone Jul 11, 2014 10:13 am

The sparkling wine was French Champagne in March.

lexdevil Jul 11, 2014 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 23180680)
Here's what it says on the website:

Access is included for up to two people per room

Cheers.

Definitely need updates on this.

1. Is it enforced? How is it enforced?

2. Is is two people at a time, or the same two people each time? In other words, can my son go have breakfast in the lounge after his father leaves the lounge? Are they controlling the number of people eating/drinking, or are they controlling the number of people physically present in the lounge at a given time?

3. Are children people? I'm not joking. They are generally not people when it comes to charges for extra people in rooms.

4. Can I pay something (points or cash) to get a third person into the lounge? If using the lounge at the Grosvenor House means I have to choose between my husband and son, I think I'll switch my stay to the Park Lane.

dayone Jul 11, 2014 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by lexdevil (Post 23182251)
1. Is it enforced? How is it enforced?

2. Is is two people at a time, or the same two people each time? In other words, can my son go have breakfast in the lounge after his father leaves the lounge? Are they controlling the number of people eating/drinking, or are they controlling the number of people physically present in the lounge at a given time?

3. Are children people? I'm not joking. They are generally not people when it comes to charges for extra people in rooms.

4. Can I pay something (points or cash) to get a third person into the lounge? If using the lounge at the Grosvenor House means I have to choose between my husband and son, I think I'll switch my stay to the Park Lane.

From my experiences at GH:
  1. Lightly. The agent at the desk isn't going to tackle you if you try to bring in more than two, but I have seen groups turned away. Two is the rule, but adherence is favored over enforcement.
  2. It's two people per room, the same two people.
  3. Children are people. They eat, drink and sit.
  4. I don't know about an extra person charge, but I bet something is available. I doubt points could be used. At other properties with similar policies, a daily fee can be paid.
My "rule" is that I don't like to see amenities abused. If the policy says two people, don't expect that three is OK, but certainly ask how you can be accommodated. Don't challenge or circumvent the policy. If the rules are unacceptable, stay somewhere else.

lexdevil Jul 12, 2014 12:38 am

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 23182359)
From my experiences at GH:
  1. Lightly. The agent at the desk isn't going to tackle you if you try to bring in more than two, but I have seen groups turned away. Two is the rule, but adherence is favored over enforcement.
  2. It's two people per room, the same two people.
  3. Children are people. They eat, drink and sit.
  4. I don't know about an extra person charge, but I bet something is available. I doubt points could be used. At other properties with similar policies, a daily fee can be paid.
My "rule" is that I don't like to see amenities abused. If the policy says two people, don't expect that three is OK, but certainly ask how you can be accommodated. Don't challenge or circumvent the policy. If the rules are unacceptable, stay somewhere else.

Apparently the Park Lane has the same limit, though we have stayed there in the past and used the lounge, never being made aware of the limit. I would feel entirely comfortable doing so again, given that we are not heavy lounge users. We eat breakfast and grab soft drinks in the evening. I might have a glass of wine, but neither my husband nor our son drinks. We're well behaved and we don't linger. My guess is that a lot of solo travelers make a bigger dent than the three of us do. You may think I'm just rationalizing our "abuse," but I don't feel guilty in the slightest.

I can, apparently, purchase access for my son at £35 per day, but that seems a bit ridiculous. $60 per day for a Continental breakfast and some soda pop is just not worth it. At the same time, requiring me to choose between forgoing my lounge benefit or exiling my son or husband (or paying $60 for some toast, fruit, and soda pop so we can have breakfast together) is really inhospitable. Given that I spend over $30k per year at Marriotts, I think it's fair that I be cut some slack on this. I don't want to sound like some DYKWIA a**hole, but I believe that I'm worth a bit more to Marriott than a United frequent flyer comped Gold or someone on a Platinum challenge. I go pretty far out of my way to be loyal to Marriott, only staying elsewhere when there is no other option. Letting our son eat breakfast with his parents is fair and a good business decision.

SkiAdcock Jul 12, 2014 10:54 am

Well given we don't have any reports that the lounge attendants are strictly enforcing the 2, it might be a bit premature to get in a huff about it ;)

Cheers.

jr1202sr Jul 12, 2014 2:07 pm

Is Liquor Free still in the Lounge?

dayone Jul 12, 2014 2:50 pm

It's clear that the OP and I are on different sides on this issue.

lexdevil Jul 12, 2014 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 23184758)
Well given we don't have any reports that the lounge attendants are strictly enforcing the 2, it might be a bit premature to get in a huff about it ;)

Cheers.

I'm definitely not in a huff about treatment by the hotel. I'm betting that the Grosvenor House enforces this policy in our case just like the Park Lane did last time I was there (namely not at all). Thus far my interactions with the hotel have been 110% positive. I am impressed and expect to remain so.

I'll totally cop to being defensive about this. I just didn't like the (admittedly indirect) accusation that I "abuse" amenities.

VA1379 Jul 12, 2014 5:02 pm

The old lounge had a bathroom and a place to shower. Does the new lounge have this? Also, do they have computers in the lounge for guests to use?