Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Prince De Galles, Luxury Collection, Paris, France [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2019, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from Oct 2017:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...-and-stay-2199
Print Wikipost

Prince De Galles, Luxury Collection, Paris, France [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by bhrubin

You’re mistaken. The breakfast benefit is taken in the restaurant in Luxury Collection hotels. The terms do not specify that the breakfast benefit must be a full American breakfast. Even SPG terms did not specify more than a continental breakfast. The PdG offering continental breakfast compies with the terms. And did so under SPG terms, as well.

That has been true for many but not all Luxury Collection hotels in my experience. Even the SLS Beverly Hills only comp’d the continental breakfast buffet in its restaurant for its Plat breakfast benefit. As did the Prince de Galles. But the Hotel Imperial Vienna was more generous and offered a full breakfast.

It is a small surcharge to get the full breakfast with hot items if you want it.
The terms and conditions say "breakfast." Period. A croissant or muffin, juice, and coffee is not breakfast.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
In my experience, most Luxury Collection hotels in Europe provide an unlimited all inclusive breakfast, from the menu to the buffet.

​​​​​​​I just came back from Italy and that was the case at the Excelsior Gallia in Milan, and the Danieli and Gritti in Venice.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
The terms and conditions say "breakfast." Period. A croissant or muffin, juice, and coffee is not breakfast.
Do you ever get tired?

The definition of breakfast:

"break·fast
/ˈbrekfəst/
noun
noun: breakfast; plural noun: breakfasts
1. a meal eaten in the morning, the first of the day."

This might be shocking, but the fact that a "croissant or muffin" isn't what you personally would eat for breakfast, does not, ipso facto, redefine the meaning of the word...

Regards
Always Flyin and bhrubin like this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
Do you ever get tired?

"break·fast
/ˈbrekfəst/
noun

This might be shocking, but the fact that a "croissant or muffin" isn't what you personally would eat for breakfast, does not, ipso facto, redefine the meaning of the word...

Regards
To take this one further a single item, like a croissant or a Tic-Tac, is not a meal. Meal - any of the regular occasions in a day when a reasonably large amount of food is eaten, such as breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 11:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Do you ever get tired?

"break·fast
/ˈbrekfəst/
noun

Regards
The fact that the terms and conditions deliberately use "continental breakfast" on references to what is to be provided at properties with a lounge but then use "breakfast" on references to what is to be provided at properties without a lounge is significant. The "breakfast" in a restaurant provided to guests with eligible elite status is clearly not intended to be the same as the "continental breakfast" provided in a concierge, executive, club, or M Club lounge. Moreover, the spirit and intent of the benefit is an offering more substantive than bread, juice and coffee.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 3:41 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Do you ever get tired?

"break·fast
/ˈbrekfəst/
noun

Regards
Some people take pains to only be absolutely literal and technical in their interpretation of all things. Such persons prefer to ignore our view of common sense or reading between the lines and instead require absolute literal precision in their reading and ability to draw meaning. The fact that words sometime mean different things in different cultures matters little to them. The fact that the world does not routinely play to such literal minutia or absolutism does little to stop their Insistence that it should.

This is like the OCD of literal interpretation. They do not tire of their insistence. Ever.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:17 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Honestly, unless someone here knows something they’re not telling the rest of us, the answer is surely that it’s not clear what Marriott intended to mean with the term “breakfast”, but that we know in practice at least for the time being whatever properties decide to give is what you will get (and on a literal reading of the T&C’s that’s entirely fair).
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
... at least for the time being whatever properties decide to give is what you will get ....
Not just for the time being, either. If a property doesn't honor a breakfast (or any other) benefit, all we can do is complain; and it typically won't be resolved quickly enough to have it matter for that particular stay.

(and on a literal reading of the T&C’s that’s entirely fair).
Marriott, itself, specifies "continental breakfast" sometimes, and "breakfast" at other times. Since Marriott makes the distinction, we are entitled to [try to] hold them to it. To be complete, however, PdG has a fairly large selection of baked goods, not just croissants, all of which are included. They were quite good, too.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Not just for the time being, either. If a property doesn't honor a breakfast (or any other) benefit, all we can do is complain; and it typically won't be resolved quickly enough to have it matter for that particular stay.
I imagine if a platinum premier or platinum premier ambassador pushed back the property would give them a full breakfast. The issue is not enough guests push back.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Honestly, unless someone here knows something they’re not telling the rest of us, the answer is surely that it’s not clear what Marriott intended to mean with the term “breakfast”, but that we know in practice at least for the time being whatever properties decide to give is what you will get (and on a literal reading of the T&C’s that’s entirely fair).

Indeed, I would say it's pretty clear that Marriott has deliberately left the term undefined so that properties can choose in their discretion what to provide. By contrast Hyatt, has specified exactly what its properties are required to provide ("complimentary full breakfast (which includes one entrée or standard breakfast buffet, juice, and coffee, as well as tax, gratuity and service charges)"). The fact that Marriott has elected not to provide this level of detail pretty much kills any argument that its generic reference to "breakfast" has a specific, fixed meaning.

The course many of us have settled on is to patronize those properties that treat elites well, and avoid those properties that do not. Arguing that the T&Cs require something they do not is really an exercise in futility.

Originally Posted by nologic
In my experience, most Luxury Collection hotels in Europe provide an unlimited all inclusive breakfast, from the menu to the buffet.

I just came back from Italy and that was the case at the Excelsior Gallia in Milan, and the Danieli and Gritti in Venice.
^
The breakfast at Excelsior Gallia is spectacular.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:27 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
I don’t know how it works at Marriott, but in the past at SPG “continental breakfast” meant continental breakfast & “breakfast” meant “full breakfast.” SPG enforced this at Palazzina G when they only offered continental when their rate included breakfast.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:40 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
<snip>The issue is not enough guests push back.
That's probably because most of human kind doesn't spend large portions of their time obsessing about hotel breakfasts...

Regards
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:43 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

That's probably because most of human kind doesn't spend large portions of their time obsessing about hotel breakfasts...

Regards
Especially true when we’re considering a 5 star luxury hotel like the Prince de Galles.

I think it’s fair to say that if one is overly concerned about what one may or may not get for free at a luxury hotel, one may be better served and more appreciative of the experience and cost of a non-luxury hotel.

I’m all about getting more value from a hotel—even a luxury hotel. But I think it becomes superfluous and reasonably stunning when someone is going to complain about whether or not eggs are included in a free breakfast at a luxury hotel. If one so desires eggs, pay for them already...or stay at another hotel where they are included.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:47 am

deleted
bhrubin likes this.

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 6:33 am
Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:56 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by markle
Have a planned stay here in January for a weekend break - has anyone stayed here over the past few weekends, and if so, has their stay been impacted by the gillets jaunes protests?

Obviously it's too early to predict exactly what will be happening in January, but I am wondering whether I should be looking to hedge my beta and find a place to stay that isn't so close to the Champs Elysees.
You’re probably fine, as you said, but perhaps a refundable booking at the Westin Vendome would be a great back up (or even the newly renovated Renaissance Vendome).

I have a booking at the StR SF in a few weeks but wasn’t sure if the recent strike would end there by the time of our stay. So I booked the RC and FS as back ups, just in case. Fortunately, the strike ended this week, and so we needn’t have been concerned. But always better to be safe than sorry!
damon88 likes this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Dec 12, 2018 at 5:26 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.