Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Prince De Galles, Luxury Collection, Paris, France [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2019, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from Oct 2017:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...-and-stay-2199
Print Wikipost

Prince De Galles, Luxury Collection, Paris, France [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:48 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm wondering if people read the same OP as me.

Perhaps the most important reason to have status is so you don't get the worst room in the hotel when burning points. Yet that's what OP got. And it sounds like he was a good sport about it. Now he reports his experience here, fairly and neutrally IMO (and I have an ultra sensitive whine monitor), and the regulars are piling on with attitude, criticism, and insults.

This forum is becoming a very nasty place.
I wasn’t trying to be nasty, just pointing out the reality of the crazy competitive hotel world right now. Years ago when we used points in Europe, even in the beginning as Golds we were almost always upgraded—-often to incredible suites. But now, years later, with much higher status, those upgrades are harder to score. When I planned this trip last year I used extra points in many cases to guarantee Suites rather than take my chances.

After PdG we went to Athens to the Grande Bretagne. . I had used extra points for a Speciality Select (those will be sorely missed ) to guarantee at minimum a Junior Suite. . I also applied SNAs really hoping for one of the view suites I’ve heard so much about. For my first time in 5 years my SNAs failed and to my surprise the hotel was unable to upgrade above the Junior Suite I booked. I was disappointed but I looked online and could see the hotel was 100% sold out and on top of that an important head of State was visiting (President of Germany)

We are returning to the GB next week for a single night and will see if we have any better luck, but again I can see the hotel is fully committed.

It reinforced our decision to splurge with cash at Mystique and Domes of Elounda. I had read too many reports from disappointed guests who ended up in subpar rooms.

Everywhere we go people tell me that this is a record breaking tourist year. We all have to temper our expectations.

I NEVER remember seeing sold out Hotels like this in October in the past, but it is the reality now.
bhrubin and Kobetraveller like this.

Last edited by damon88; Oct 13, 2018 at 1:15 am
Old Oct 13, 2018, 5:20 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I'm wondering if people read the same OP as me.

Perhaps the most important reason to have status is so you don't get the worst room in the hotel when burning points. Yet that's what OP got. And it sounds like he was a good sport about it. Now he reports his experience here, fairly and neutrally IMO (and I have an ultra sensitive whine monitor), and the regulars are piling on with attitude, criticism, and insults.

My criticism rests with the fact that if you don't complain about the poor treatment and perhaps noncompliance by at least asking for a manager then you really don't have a leg to stand on to come on here and complain, even in a passive manner.

The original poster emphasized that he placed a value on having a room on a high floor. I don't consider a standard room on a high floor an upgrade. I don't think it's unrealistic to expect as a platinum you would get a room on a floor above the first, if you asked for one.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Oct 13, 2018 at 5:28 am
Old Oct 13, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Yes... yes it is.

Regards
Old Oct 13, 2018, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
My criticism rests with the fact that if you don't complain about the poor treatment and perhaps noncompliance by at least asking for a manager then you really don't have a leg to stand on to come on here and complain, even in a passive manner.

The original poster emphasized that he placed a value on having a room on a high floor. I don't consider a standard room on a high floor an upgrade. I don't think it's unrealistic to expect as a platinum you would get a room on a floor above the first, if you asked for one.
OP complained about wanting a “room on a high floor with a view” and getting a room on the first floor with a view facing the indoor courtyard.

All entry level rooms at this property face the courtyard, whether on the first or the fifth floor.

OP got exactly the room s/he booked on dates where the hotel was oversold. There’s simply nothing of really relevant to share and the implication on his post that s/he was disappointed because s/he felt, despite these conditions, the hotel had not fully recognized her/his platinum status merits the reactions it got on this thread
Old Oct 15, 2018, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier

Anyone stayed here recently after August 18?

How is the hotel handling the platinum breakfast? Still continental only ?
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier

anyone knows this?
Anyone have an update? Looking to book a few nights in Paris and wondering about the lounge here.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 5:42 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by msantosnj
Anyone have an update? Looking to book a few nights in Paris and wondering about the lounge here.
There is no lounge at this hotel.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin
There is no lounge at this hotel.
Thanks. Is breakfast at the hotel restaurant still just continental?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
I am here now and it appears so.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 11:17 am

Could anyone share the email contact info for the GM? Cant seem to find it anywhere
Old Nov 27, 2018, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by msantosnj
Thanks. Is breakfast at the hotel restaurant still just continental?
Yup, you can also upgrade to American (extended buffet + hot dish) for 11 euro. I stayed 5 nights during thanksgiving weekend and ordered the American but was only charged the 11 euro difference for 2/5 nights. So YMMV, i think some waiters are under the impression American is covered as the plat amenity and some waiters know the difference.

Was upgraded to the "deluxe" room. They said all their suites were occupied because of the mens fashion week
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by dodgery1
Yup, you can also upgrade to American (extended buffet + hot dish) for 11 euro. I stayed 5 nights during thanksgiving weekend and ordered the American but was only charged the 11 euro difference for 2/5 nights. So YMMV, i think some waiters are under the impression American is covered as the plat amenity and some waiters know the difference.

Was upgraded to the "deluxe" room. They said all their suites were occupied because of the mens fashion week
What is their definition of continental?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:00 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

What is their definition of continental?
As with most Europan luxury hotels, a Continental breakfast usually includes a cold buffet offering with the standard meats, cheeses, and breads/pastries. Some may include hard boiled eggs. IIRC that was also true here.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:43 pm
Suspended

As with most Europan luxury hotels, a Continental breakfast usually includes a cold buffet offering with the standard meats, cheeses, and breads/pastries. Some may include hard boiled eggs. IIRC that was also true here.
I would argue that is not compliant. A plain reading of the new terms and conditions say a property without a lounge has to provide breakfast in the restaurant. A "continental breakfast" is only provided in lounges at properties with lounges.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:56 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

I would argue that is not compliant. A plain reading of the new terms and conditions say a property without a lounge has to provide breakfast in the restaurant. A "continental breakfast" is only provided in lounges at properties with lounges.
You’re mistaken. The breakfast benefit is taken in the restaurant in Luxury Collection hotels. The terms do not specify that the breakfast benefit must be a full American breakfast. Even SPG terms did not specify more than a continental breakfast. The PdG offering continental breakfast compies with the terms. And did so under SPG terms, as well.

That has been true for many but not all Luxury Collection hotels in my experience. Even the SLS Beverly Hills only comp’d the continental breakfast buffet in its restaurant for its Plat breakfast benefit. As did the Prince de Galles. But the Hotel Imperial Vienna was more generous and offered a full breakfast.

It is a small surcharge to get the full breakfast with hot items if you want it.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
As with most Europan luxury hotels, a Continental breakfast usually includes a cold buffet offering with the standard meats, cheeses, and breads/pastries.
Smoked salmon is not included at this hotel. I don't know where it falls in the LC definition of breakfast foods (and I am rarely in Europe); I would have assumed that it was included since meats are. However, see below.

Originally Posted by dodgery1
So YMMV, i think some waiters are under the impression American is covered as the plat amenity and some waiters know the difference.
I sat at the same table every morning. The waiter responsible for my section knew the difference, but told me that if I wanted smoked salmon, it was OK with him and he wouldn't say anything.

Last edited by Dr. HFH; Nov 28, 2018 at 9:07 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.