Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Prince De Galles, Luxury Collection, Paris, France [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2019, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from Oct 2017:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...-and-stay-2199
Print Wikipost

Prince De Galles, Luxury Collection, Paris, France [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Airline Nobody
Just got back from a 5 night stay on points here and the experience left quite a bit to be desired, though there were some redeeming moments. This is long - sorry!

I'm Platinum Elite (qualified on stays with SPG pre combined program) and didn't use any SNAs for this trip, so I wasn't expecting to get the absolute best room available. However, based on trip advisor reviews online and in this thread I probably got my hopes up a bit too much expecting an upgrade. My "room preferences" are for a high floor with a view, but I was assigned room 125, the standard king room on the first floor with a view of the bar. While we checked in I reiterated my preferences and my desire for something that was maybe on a higher floor or perhaps with a balcony and I was met with a cold "we're overbooked and that's all that we have - would you like points or breakfast as your platinum benefit?" I guess I was supposed to be happy with not being walked. The agent at the desk did tell us that he would try to get us a room upgrade if possible later in the stay. When I asked the next morning because there were balcony rooms and suites bookable online, he told me that he remembers me and there's still nothing - as I expected I never heard from him again.

The room itself is okay - the mirror behind the bed was dusty, the glass table tops have been scratched to hell, the showerhead is covered in hard water stains, and the carpet is pulling up next to the nightstand. Welcome gift in the room on night one was a large bottle of Evian, one glass (the room was booked for two...?) and four macarons. On the third night (Monday, of all nights?!?) the bar outside the window starts playing club music at 8:30 pm. Unfortunately, this happened to be the day we were planning on getting to bed early. I called down to guest services, who said they'd check on it, but when they called back 20 minutes later they told me that they weren't sure where it was coming from and immediately hung up... at this point I walked down to the front desk and requested to be moved; this is where Erica was wonderful. She assured me that she would block out an upgraded room for the last night of our stay but there was still nothing that could be done for that night or the next. I told her that I knew it was busy and I wasn't upset at her - rather I was just a bit let down by the whole situation. She understood and was apologetic. However she also called over to the bar and told me they weren't sure when they'd be stopping the music, which left me a little dumbfounded.

We were eventually able to move to a mosaic suite on our final night thanks to Erica's help (seriously, she was so lovely and kind). We called down about 9:00am and told guest services that our bags were packed so they could move us to the other room. Apparently the person in the suite before us elected to stay basically all day (even past 4:00) so that suite wasn't ready until close to 5:45. Erica offered complimentary drinks in the bar, though, so the late room gets a pass.

Pros:
  • Concierge was helpful for everything we wanted to do (mostly simple dining recommendations as well as confirming one reservation for us), but we didn't ask them to do anything particularly difficult. Still, they were reasonably nice and helpful.
  • The bar was decorated wonderfully - if drinks weren't 30 bucks a pop I'd be there every night.
  • Erica at the front desk was a saint in helping to move us to a nicer suite if only for one night. That room had a beautiful patio and was quite spacious.
Cons:
  • Staff is very hit or miss - some front desk agents are great while others act like you've murdered their pets or something. One server at breakfast was great while the others avoided making eye contact at all costs, even when repeatedly flagged down.
  • Speaking of breakfast, we were told that the whole buffet (charcuterie, hard boiled eggs, pastries, and juices) was available to us as the platinum benefit. We elected not to order eggs because the buffet was sufficient, but I'd imagine that you'd just pay the difference (like 10euro) if you wanted to upgrade. The spread was okay but I seriously can't fathom who would spend 39 euro on the buffet unless they had a fat expense account or just heaps of money.
  • The above mentioned room maintenance issues (see attached pictures)
Unsure:
  • We were so underwhelmed by our overall experience at the hotel that we elected to cancel our reservations at La Scene for Tuesday and go elsewhere (spent that money at the A.P.C. Surplus... good choice I think ). I will say that the restaurant was beautiful when we were there for breakfast.
I should note that I am young man (24) traveling with my also young boyfriend and we used points for this stay. Maybe if we were paying cash or if we looked older and/or richer we would have had a better experience. Nothing was really bad, it's just that very little of it was truly good. Bottom line for me is that for 240k points/5 nights (booked at reduced point price currently available) it seems passable. For the 340k points/5 nights this will cost starting in 2019 please stay elsewhere.

callmedtop likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mag_nate
I should note that I am young man (24) traveling with my also young boyfriend and we used points for this stay. Maybe if we were paying cash or if we looked older and/or richer we would have had a better experience.
Wouldn't be the first time that happened in Paris. Being judged (and dismissed) on appearance is particularly common in this part of the city.

Thanks for the report. Hope the rest of your visit exceeded your PDG experience.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
My "room preferences" are for a high floor with a view, but I was assigned room 125, the standard king room on the first floor with a view of the bar. While we checked in I reiterated my preferences and my desire for something that was maybe on a higher floor or perhaps with a balcony and I was met with a cold "we're overbooked and that's all that we have - would you like points or breakfast as your platinum benefit?" I guess I was supposed to be happy with not being walked. The agent at the desk did tell us that he would try to get us a room upgrade if possible later in the stay. When I asked the next morning because there were balcony rooms and suites bookable online, he told me that he remembers me and there's still nothing - as I expected I never heard from him again.
You should have asked for a manager, especially when better rooms were still being sold. There's no way that everyone on a higher floor was platinum or higher.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
You should have asked for a manager, especially when better rooms were still being sold. There's no way that everyone on a higher floor was platinum or higher.
upgrades are dependant on availability at check-in for the whole duration of the stay.

Anything else, like changing rooms midstay, is just a courtesy and goes above and beyond what is required for plats.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Wouldn't be the first time that happened in Paris. Being judged (and dismissed) on appearance is particularly common in this part of the city.

Thanks for the report. Hope the rest of your visit exceeded your PDG experience.
It was a great trip in Paris and beyond - thanks!

I thought about it, but despite the generally complain-y tone of my post, I really don't like to cause problems. I wasn't about to go full "do you know who I am?!?" over a room that we weren't spending that much time in anyway. It wasn't worth my time or energy.

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier

upgrades are dependant on availability at check-in for the whole duration of the stay.

Anything else, like changing rooms midstay, is just a courtesy and goes above and beyond what is required for plats.
Fair enough - I'd hope that any hotel of this caliber would go above and beyond what is required, though. I acknowledge that they went above and beyond in moving me and I had high praise for the front desk agent that went out of her way to assist me. I'm not actively angry at them or anything but they by no stretch of the imagination inspired me to visit them again.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:49 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I'd hope that any hotel of this caliber would go above and beyond what is required, though. I acknowledge that they went above and beyond in moving me and I had high praise for the front desk agent that went out of her way to assist me. I'm not actively angry at them or anything but they by no stretch of the imagination inspired me to visit them again.
I think you may come to realize that they did go above and beyond what is required, despite even being oversold for a portion of the time of your stay. And despite it being a free stay on points. At one of the most expensive hotels in Paris.

If you think the PdG under-delivered under those circumstances, while still having upgraded you to a suite for even a portion of your free stay, then I think you may need to reset your expectations for any stay at a luxury hotel in the future. Chances are pretty good that there were plenty of paying guests who booked room categories and suites above that which you had booked, and they still managed to treat you well.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin

I think you may come to realize that they did go above and beyond what is required, despite even being oversold for a portion of the time of your stay. And despite it being a free stay on points. At one of the most expensive hotels in Paris.

If you think the PdG under-delivered under those circumstances, while still having upgraded you to a suite for even a portion of your free stay, then I think you may need to reset your expectations for any stay at a luxury hotel in the future. Chances are pretty good that there were plenty of paying guests who booked room categories and suites above that which you had booked, and they still managed to treat you well.
In the post you quoted, I-literally word for word-acknowledged that they went above and beyond? My lack of excitement about the hotel extends beyond them not upgrading me to a suite which, while a bit dissapointing, is really minor in the grand scheme of things.

I think you’re right about my expectations with luxury hotels though. I’m sure my expectations will evolve in time.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 5:50 pm

I dont’t think the fact it was an award booking should have any bearing on the guest’s platinum recognition. Award stays are paid stays — Marriott pays properties an amount that is not very far off what a competitive corporate rate would be for the same night.

That said, award stays are for an entry-level room category. It’s only natural that properties would rather upgrade a plat member with a revenue reservation for a higher category room.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:12 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I dont’t think the fact it was an award booking should have any bearing on the guest’s platinum recognition. Award stays are paid stays — Marriott pays properties an amount that is not very far off what a competitive corporate rate would be for the same night.

That said, award stays are for an entry-level room category. It’s only natural that properties would rather upgrade a plat member with a revenue reservation for a higher category room.
I don’t mean to say that the award booking was a factor in treatment by the hotel. I mean to say that the award booking should have been a factor in the expectation of the guest—since it books to an entry level room as you reiterated.

Upgrading a Plat member is obviously something a hotel would like to do—when it’s possible. In this case, being oversold, the hotel couldn’t upgrade for the entire stay and yet still went above and beyond to do it later in the stay. Even on an award stay, amply demonstrating the hotel treated the booking as well as any paid stay.

FWIW I stayed here last year on an award stay and also was upgraded. And the hotel was sold out. But I was Plat100 with Ambassador. But the hotel clearly has a record of treating award stays just as well as paid stays. And the hotel clearly also has a record of treating Plats well whenever possible.

It’s too bad the guest couldn’t dine at La Scene for dinner—it was very good. Breakfast and dinner service here are completely different quantities.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver

Yes, but the original poster said there were better rooms available.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 6:36 pm
Suspended

I thought about it, but despite the generally complain-y tone of my post, I really don't like to cause problems. I wasn't about to go full "do you know who I am?!?" over a room that we weren't spending that much time in anyway. It wasn't worth my time or energy.
Yet you come on here and complain. Give me a break.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:42 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
It’s a shame the PdG didn’t wow you, but I can absolutely understand how such a grand Paris hotel would seem underwhelming in those circumstances.

I’m spending a lot of time in Paris at the moment, and half of your descriptions (esp. wrt staff) my immediate reaction was “That’s so French/ Parisien”, not that it’s an excuse! Parisians being angry at you for being a customer is unfortunately the French equivalent of New Yorkers expecting a tip for saying hello.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Not knowing the PdG (i'm a long time Westin Vendome loyalist) but in Europe in general, the first floor has the highest ceilings and is more desirable. Top floor is where the servants used to stay. I get totally annoyed when hotels like the Park Hyatt convert the attic rooms with dormer windows to "suites". The Westin in Dublin also did that.

Thanks for the post, confirming my cash stay at the Westin Vendome (as the price is low enough to make me want to keep the points).
Old Oct 12, 2018, 8:42 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
I was at PdG last week at roughly the same time as OP. The hotel was definitely sold out during this time. A great room was important to us on this points stay(celebrating a big anniversary) so we booked Specialty Select our first night and applied an SNA and actually used extra points to guarantee a Suite the second 2. My SNA cleared 5 days out and the hotel was gracious enough to upgrade us to a gorgeous Makassar Suite for all 3 nights. But I am PPE with Ambassador and a longtime return guest.

There is a lot of competition for rooms these days as hotels are experiencing record breaking occupancy levels and tourism is surging worldwide. With all due respect I think OP’s expectations were too high.

bhrubin likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I think you may need to reset your expectations for any stay at a luxury hotel in the future
Yet you come on here and complain. Give me a break.
Originally Posted by damon88
With all due respect I think OP’s expectations were too high.
I'm wondering if people read the same OP as me.

Perhaps the most important reason to have status is so you don't get the worst room in the hotel when burning points. Yet that's what OP got. And it sounds like he was a good sport about it. Now he reports his experience here, fairly and neutrally IMO (and I have an ultra sensitive whine monitor), and the regulars are piling on with attitude, criticism, and insults.

This forum is becoming a very nasty place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.