Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis Langkawi, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 12, 2023, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

St Regis Langkawi, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2016, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by dshih
Sorry, but what does PTS and CTS stand for (just for Amex correct)? Also - how do you book as the Starwood Luxury mentioned above - I am Platinum SPG but I am not too familiar with the program.
Yes PTS and CTS are Amex FHR Platinum Travel Service and Centurion Travel Service.
Old May 26, 2016, 7:20 pm

After reading the discussion on high prices at StR KUL, I decided to nose around the sky-high prices at StR LGK.

Just figure this:
. for a 2-night weekend in June, Expedia SIN is selling a flight plus hotel deal for SGD1428
. and mind you, it's a StR Pool Suite which is one tier higher than the SNA upgrade
. for the same nights, same flight, same room - the combined price on Expedia and SPG is SGD2278!
. and Expedia quotes "24-hour airport shuttle service is available. Contact the property in advance to get details." - does this mean the Bentley???

That is SGD850 more! I could rent a Merc and a driver, and pay for the airport lounge with that, and still have money to spare.

The only thing missing is stay/night credit and points. And I could use that $850 and book a room at Westin LGK and leave it empty as a mattress run and STILL come out ahead!

Is this why they can afford to price it at such rates?

I realise that these package deals can be good, but man, I never realised they were THAT good. Maybe I should relook this whole loyalty thing... :P
Old May 27, 2016, 7:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
Maybe I should relook this whole loyalty thing... :P
I think we'd ALL benefit from reconsidering this whole loyalty thing
Old May 27, 2016, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
After reading the discussion on high prices at StR KUL, I decided to nose around the sky-high prices at StR LGK.

Just figure this:
. for a 2-night weekend in June, Expedia SIN is selling a flight plus hotel deal for SGD1428
. and mind you, it's a StR Pool Suite which is one tier higher than the SNA upgrade
. for the same nights, same flight, same room - the combined price on Expedia and SPG is SGD2278!
. and Expedia quotes "24-hour airport shuttle service is available. Contact the property in advance to get details." - does this mean the Bentley???
I don't understand the problem. Why not book with Expedia?
Old May 27, 2016, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pricesquire
You'd need to book an LP rate via an LP agent.
How do you book via an LP agent?
Old Jun 10, 2016, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FYI it seems that FHR CTS pricing is $500 per night for a St. Regis Suite, with the 4th night free plus $100 F&B credit and a $200 F&B or Spa credit. And a free lunch or dinner for two. I think I'll give it a try later this summer. It will be interesting to see what the SPG Plat upgrade is combined with the FHR upgrade.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, MT Ambassador, HH Diamond, Accor Diamond, Avis President's Club, National Emerald Club
Anyone been to this hotel and can comment on how the beach is?
Old Jun 22, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
I've been keeping tabs on this hotel as I'll be headed there later on this year for 5 nights.
Recent reports on TripAdvisor state that the man-made lagoon is still not ready, and that the beach is not great (or just not yet ready - not sure which).
Old Jun 23, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: AC SE100k, MT Ambassador, HH Diamond, Accor Diamond, Avis President's Club, National Emerald Club
I'll be going there mid July. Anyone that's been there have any recommendations?
Old Jun 24, 2016, 2:39 am

Originally Posted by Aker
I'll be going there mid July. Anyone that's been there have any recommendations?
Moderate your expectations?

Joke aside... what recommendations are you seeking
Room / food / things to do in KL?
Old Jul 15, 2016, 10:58 pm

I was hoping to get more intel coming to this thread about my upcoming stay next week but guess I will need to report back my findings instead.

I got a $250 USD rate, Andaman is showing at $233, so figured what the hell. It is only a two night stay for a quick weekend get away to celebrate anniversary.

I stayed at the Andaman before; but pre-reno which was 4 years ago. I really enjoyed the Andaman's location and beach so will be able to provide a comparison. I was PLT at the time and got an upgrade to 3rd floor sea-view.

PLT right now and have submitted SNA for my 2 night stay at the St. Regis. Booked the Bentley as well.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TIA for whatever you can tell us kmcbrid2. I'm interesting in the Bentley too!
Old Jul 24, 2016, 9:04 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt DIA, M&M SEN, AB Platinum
Just got back from a quick 2-night weekend stay at the StR Langkawi .. some impressions, aside from the usual benefits that come with staying at a StR:

Pros
  • Room. They front desk was extremely welcoming in honoring all kinds of SPG benefits. Terrific upgrade (as a SPG Plat on a cheap 250 USD rate) to a 200m2 Panoramic Suite. However, didnt like the suite to much (far from the beach, no use for the abundant space) so went for a StR Beach Pool Suite instead. The latter was excellent with the private plunge pool, two daybeds, and direct access to the beach in 10 meters distance. Not sure though how this looks in high season in the normal rainforest rooms?
  • Breakfast. Think it ranks in one of the top5 breakfasts of my hotel history. Western, Malaysian, Chinese, Japanese offerings, extensive a-la-carte menu inclusive. Think Champaign, Lobster, and Wagyu in the morning. Plus they had a fridge well stocked with ice-cream, better have an eye on your kids here!
  • View. Sitting at the over-the-water hammocks at Kayaputi for sunset is truly hard to beat
  • Transfer. Admittedly it was not the Bentley. But the extended BMW 7 series was also just fine. And return transfers seem to be included in the room rate.

Cons
  • No real outdoor seating, aside from 2 tables at L Orangerie for breakfast (where you feel somewhat alone on the huge terrace) and an outdoor area at Kayaputi (which is more of a bar&lounging space, albeit OK for dining)
  • Beach. Not really bad, the man-made lagoon is completed and all palms are planted... might just need a few weeks in rainy season to loose the brand-new feeling. Color is more yellowish and there are some shell fragments, so dont expect the Maldives feeling though

Happy to answer any further questions ..
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:20 am

Programs: SPG Platinum,Hilton Diamond
great review!mind sharing some photos here?
Old Aug 2, 2016, 6:55 am

Great Pool Suite, one of the best in S.E. Asia

St. Regis Langkawi

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

St. Regis Langkawi

Jalan Pantai Beringin 07000 Langkawi, Malaysia MY

Great Pool Suite, one of the best in S.E. Asia (0 Photo)

St. Regis Langkawi

Looks like Zimac bet me to the punch so I will offer a slightly shorter review.

Bottom-line- At 250USD/night with pool suite St. Regis Lankawi is an outstanding value which I will try and return to. This was the best use of my SNA as a platinum over the past 5 years. However, if I’m with my kids then I would not book the St. Regis but rather the Andaman if I could only choose a property in Langkawa.

Background- I’m platinum and submitted a SNA which was approved. I then requested a pool suite which I received. This was only a 2-night stay and was to celebrate wedding anniversary.

I’m not a fan of vacationing in Malaysia since I can’t get my swine with my morning PLT breakfast at SPG hotels. I’m definitely not a fan of Langkawi since there are so many better beach locations to go to in S.E. Asia. However, the St. Regis Langkawi has made an impression on me and provides a great value for a quick get-away weekend for me. If the St. Regis keeps its rates sub $300/night and I can score a pool villa using a SNA then I will plan to go back to St. Regis.

Compared to the Andaman

The Andaman is better for families. I stayed with my kids 4 years ago (pre-reno) and had a great time. Andaman has a far better pool (with slide) for the kids than the St. Regis does. There is a small kid pool at St. Regis and I mean small! I think it might have been 6’x3’. There are only two lounge chairs available at the StR main pool for parents to sit at and watch their kids.

I think the beach is better at the StR for kids simply because it does not have all the dead coral to step on that the Andaman has. But I think the Andaman stills has better views and I love the large trees on the beach that provide shade at the Andaman.

I have not stayed at the Westin so I cannot compare it to StR or the Andaman but I would continue to choose either StR or Andaman over Westin for a Langkawi stay.

Pros/cons

Cons-

The StR location makes it seem like you are staying on a lake. The views into the ocean are surrounded by islands which make it appear you are on a lake.

New Staff- The hotel opened in late May and it seems like the staff are still on the learning curve. The hotel was 90+% occupancy when we stayed and the staff seemed overwhelmed during the morning breakfast. Several people got upset with slow service from the staff. It took us 30 minutes to a coffee but for us it was not a big deal. The pool suite and Bentley had already put us in our Zen zone so waiting for a coffee was no big deal. However, if we would have had our kids, where prompt delivery of items keeps kids in check and parents from getting mad at the kids, then we would have lost our Zen very quickly. I think the staff will overcome these issues as the hotel is new. One staff member, who apologized for the service even though we didn’t’ complain, told us that this was the first weekend the hotel was almost full. The hotel had only been at 20-40% occupancy up until the weekend we stayed.

The Beach is not fully ready. By this I mean the palm trees on the beach have not grown their palms and the landscaping has not fully bloomed yet since the hotel has only been opened for 2 months.

Pros-

The Bentley! What a way to start your holiday and to end it by riding from and to the airport in a Bentley. It seems odd to have such a nice car roll-up to an airport such as Langkawi but who cares! I have never ridden in a Bentley but with an in seat massage and slow jazz playing I want one now. I’m not sure how exactly the free service works but there was a guy checking out same time as I was and rode to the airport in van instead of the Bentley. Based on Zicmac comments I’m wondering if it was because you have to actually book the Bentley before hand.

Pool suites- The pool at the StR is small and no chairs to sit in and hangout. So getting a pool villa is really worth it, the pool in the pool suites is about half the size of the main StR pool. I also must say it the pool suite is the best I have ever had. I have stayed in a pool villa at the LM Koh Sumai and Hyatt Maldives. The StR pool suite is a garden oasis that you want to hang out in all day. We only went to the beach when we were waiting for the staff to finish our room. The rest of the time we just hung out in garden and pool.

Staff- Even though I noted issues with service in earlier paragraph I must say that the staff learned our names after first greeting and addressed us by our name for our short 2 night stay. This is the reason I think the staff overall service will only improve in time.

Even though the hotel was at 90+% occupancy the main pool was not full nor were there a lot of people in the beach chairs. I saw maybe 5 couples between the main pool and the beach.

Airport lounge- You get access to airport lounge at the airport which in Airside. It is not big but provides refuge from the Langkawi airport.

Champagne with Breakfast. They had a lobster omelet as a choice from the menu. However, was not a fan of yet so maybe breakfast is not ready for prime time. I think they have quantity but not the quality in my opinion. Great selection but not my top 5 breakfast experiences within SPG, maybe top 10.

Recommendations

Pool suite- If you stay here I would try and get a pool suite. The only other thing to do is sit in a lounge chair on the beach. I don’t know if we would have enjoyed our time at the StR if did not have the pool suite. Depending on the pool suite you get we can have some great privacy in the pool. The StR has mounted sheer white curtains around the pools so you can draw these curtains and enjoy privacy. The curtains are also above the pool so the rooms above you cannot see directly into your pool. I have never seen this done before but great concept to ensure your privacy. I’m sure Muslim ladies will enjoy this feature as it will allow them to enjoy swimming in privacy without a full wetsuit.

For pool suites I would stay away from 101,102 and 105-108. You can see directly into these pool suites from the main building so you lose the privacy of the pool suite.

I would not recommend the overwater suites. Maybe I’m jaded because of overwater villas in Maldives and StR Bora Bora but Langkawi is not an overwater villa location. Additionally, you can see directly in the pools in the overwater suites from the beach. So not the same privacy as the pool suites. Not sure why they designed it this way as it would seem simple to put up a privacy screen to the sire facing the beach but they didn’t.

There is an overwater restaurant that the StR has, which you can also get to from the Westin by bridge, which looked really nice. We didn’t eat there but you may want to check out. They have this suspended canopy (think of catamarans) that you can lay on and watch the sun set while having cocktails. We didn’t find out about this until the last day when we decided to walk around the property but wish we did as we would have enjoyed it. This is what Zicmac is referring to as the view.

Other info-

There appears to be several putting greens which appear to not be completely ready yet.

There is a small island, large enough for a table, where I think you have dinner on. The water is submerged during high tide.

Spa looked nice, we used it to change into beach clothes when we arrived while waiting for our room. The spa rooms have frosted windows with water falling down it for ambiance.

Butler service- I have stayed at a StR only 1 other time and that was at Bora Bora. So I haven’t figured out the StR Butler service yet. The head Butler at StR Langkawi introduced himself when we checked in a

Conclusion-

I now want to come back to Langkawi with just my wife again so we can enjoy the StR pool suite again. I think it could give places in SE Asia like Sheraton Pranburi Villas, Naka Island, Westin Siray Bay and Vana Belle a run for their money if the StR was not in Malaysia. 

Great Pool Suite, one of the best in S.E. Asia

Would you like to write a review on the St. Regis Langkawi?

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.