FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Ritz-Carlton Lake Tahoe [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1520240-ritz-carlton-lake-tahoe-master-thread.html)

buckeye91 Nov 11, 2022 6:41 pm

Any recent stays here?

anothertraveller12 Dec 28, 2022 1:23 pm

Just noticed this for the first time when booking here (my window is 30 day cancellation) and am curious what the actual effect of cancellation is when using points.

You may cancel your reservation for no charge before 11:59 PM local hotel time on xxxxxx (30 day[s] before arrival). Please note that we will assess a fee if you must cancel after this deadline. If you have made a prepayment, we will retain all or part of your prepayment. If not, we will charge your credit card. This fee equals 99 percent of your room charge for your entire reservation.
Is the fee in this instance the points used for the stay?

Also it doesn't mention changing the reservation after the deadline - can that be done within 30 days of the reservation without incurring a fee?

phant0m Mar 4, 2023 10:19 pm

How are the accommodations here? Rooms looking a bit dated. Any plans for revamp this off season?

buckeye91 Jun 8, 2023 4:21 pm

Bump for any recent experiences

TNLONTraveller Jun 8, 2023 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by buckeye91 (Post 35315562)
Bump for any recent experiences

Stayed in late May on an FHR rate. Enjoyed the property & stay. The pool is under reconstruction, which means only the smaller spa pool is open, but it meant you could use the other spa facilities as well (giant hot tub, steam room, dry sauna). Breakfast was nice but could only be taken in the restaurant which was kind of lame. Also the welcome smores/hot toddy only last for a half hour (from 5-530) which seems too stingy given its advertised as a part of the resort fee. Still, was the nicest of 3 hotels we stayed in the Tahoe area & would return.

Boraxo Jun 8, 2023 11:25 pm

I can't imagine visiting during the summer with the big pool closed. There is barely enough space as it is when everything is open. For sure rooms are definitely nicer than Viewline fka Squaw Creek and Hyatt Incline. But the latter is on the lake and the former has an outstanding pool.

FTDDD Jan 22, 2024 9:16 am

Any recent updates? Thanks

phant0m Jan 22, 2024 9:48 am

Originally Posted by FTDDD (Post 35931742)

I'll be there in March.

Boraxo Jan 22, 2024 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by FTDDD (Post 35931742)

Anything specific? There is nothing new at Northstar except for added capacity on a couple of lifts and a new parking rez fee on weekends (that won't apply to RC which has its own parking).

fortunately there is a good snow coverage now with more falling so skiing should be excellent for the rest of the season.

FTDDD Feb 1, 2024 11:13 am

Just looking for general advice which room type/location etc to ask for to make skiing as convenient as possible. Bit confused by the PURE rooms mixed in.
The ENHANCED Nightly Upgrade awards obviously didn't clear.
We also have a rental car and would like to avoid the valet charges. Is there any option to self-park in the area?

Cheers

Boraxo Feb 1, 2024 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by FTDDD (Post 35961329)
Just looking for general advice which room type/location etc to ask for to make skiing as convenient as possible. Bit confused by the PURE rooms mixed in.
The ENHANCED Nightly Upgrade awards obviously didn't clear.
We also have a rental car and would like to avoid the valet charges. Is there any option to self-park in the area?

Cheers

Unfortunately self park options are non-existent at the top of the RC hill because otherwise skiers would park here to avoid fees and hassles of the northstar lots. I do not think you can park overnight in the ski lots but even if you could it would be a big time suck to take the shuttle to the village or the lots.

anothertraveller12 Feb 23, 2024 10:50 pm

Had a recent stay here and it was better than I remembered from my previous visit. Really can't beat the ski-in/ski-out setup here. I felt like the hotel is aging well (it's been 5+ years since I last came, and the rooms still seem in great shape), and the service was also improved. I had an excellent experience checking in, housekeeping has been great, excellent food, and the views from the room are stunning.

The main issue is the eye-watering cost. Everything has doubled in that 5 year period... resort fee, rollaway fee ($50->$100), menu prices, room prices ($2k/night for a slopeside king during ski week, while the presidential suite was $4k), it's extraordinary. The food costs really shocked me - as an example, a shrimp dish (without sides) at Manzanita for $45 - that seems high, but in the right ballpark. Through room service though, it was marked up to $55, plus a mandatory 22.5% service fee, plus a 3.5% other random fee, plus an $11 delivery fee. Oof.

phant0m Mar 11, 2024 11:03 am

Originally Posted by anothertraveller12 (Post 36026267)
Had a recent stay here and it was better than I remembered from my previous visit. Really can't beat the ski-in/ski-out setup here. I felt like the hotel is aging well (it's been 5+ years since I last came, and the rooms still seem in great shape), and the service was also improved. I had an excellent experience checking in, housekeeping has been great, excellent food, and the views from the room are stunning.

The main issue is the eye-watering cost. Everything has doubled in that 5 year period... resort fee, rollaway fee ($50->$100), menu prices, room prices ($2k/night for a slopeside king during ski week, while the presidential suite was $4k), it's extraordinary. The food costs really shocked me - as an example, a shrimp dish (without sides) at Manzanita for $45 - that seems high, but in the right ballpark. Through room service though, it was marked up to $55, plus a mandatory 22.5% service fee, plus a 3.5% other random fee, plus an $11 delivery fee. Oof.

Is it easy to get to the hotel from the airport via Uber?

Boraxo Mar 11, 2024 11:54 am

Originally Posted by phant0m (Post 36071281)
Is it easy to get to the hotel from the airport via Uber?

Yes, if there are no snow storms. In the past month you would have needed an Uber with 4wd at certain times, and for 3 days the roads were largely impassible during a major blizzard. The road up to the property is steep and winding and can be quite hazardous when icy or covered with snow. My Acura MDX skid into a snowbank almost a decade ago during a storm - thankfully a couple of guys with shovels and pickup trucks stopped to help dig me out.

If the road is impassible you can take a lift from the Northstar base village - the lift has gondola cars so it would be easy to bring up luggage, etc.

anothertraveller12 Mar 13, 2024 10:48 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo (Post 36071415)
Yes, if there are no snow storms. In the past month you would have needed an Uber with 4wd at certain times, and for 3 days the roads were largely impassible during a major blizzard. The road up to the property is steep and winding and can be quite hazardous when icy or covered with snow. My Acura MDX skid into a snowbank almost a decade ago during a storm - thankfully a couple of guys with shovels and pickup trucks stopped to help dig me out.

If the road is impassible you can take a lift from the Northstar base village - the lift has gondola cars so it would be easy to bring up luggage, etc.

Can confirm last mile issues - we were totally fine the whole way up to the Ritz until literally the last mile. It had already started snowing, but on this road it was accumulating more and was steeper, so the only time we had traction issues were just as we arrived.