Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica CA [Master Thread]

Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica CA [Master Thread]

Old Sep 19, 13, 12:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium
Arrow Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica CA [Master Thread]

Looks like the change to Le Meridien Delfina took place on 18 September 2013.

http://www.lemeridiendelfina.com

This property was previously the Sheraton Delfina, and historical details can be viewed here :

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...l#post21729438

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Nov 5, 13 at 1:44 am
Old Sep 19, 13, 8:27 am
dw

Programs: AA Plat Pro, IHG Spire Amb/Kimpton IC
Originally Posted by davidw70 View Post
Looks like the change to Le Meridien Delfina took place on 18 September

Wasn't there a club lounge at this property? Seems like any mention of it has been removed from the new website.
Old Sep 19, 13, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by dw View Post
Wasn't there a club lounge at this property? Seems like any mention of it has been removed from the new website.
New lounge was put into small pool house, very nice hope it's stll there
Old Oct 6, 13, 11:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by davidw70 View Post
Looks like the change to Le Meridien Delfina took place on 18 September

Wow I missed that.

Originally Posted by dw View Post
Yes, the lounge is/was in a separate building next to the pool.

It was a very well kept and stocked lounge.

After my last stay, I'm looking forward to seeing how the property is transformed.
Old Oct 6, 13, 1:08 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Called today-want to book for an upcoming vacation. NO lounge. Cont Bfast in lieu of points for plat only. No bfast buy-up option.

Not really sure if I will keep my reservation as the no-lounge is the topper...TA reviews are horrific.
Old Oct 6, 13, 6:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40 View Post
Called today-want to book for an upcoming vacation. NO lounge. Cont Bfast in lieu of points for plat only. No bfast buy-up option.

Not really sure if I will keep my reservation as the no-lounge is the topper...TA reviews are horrific.
Personally, I don't see not having a lounge as an issue. Trip Advisor? I can't take that site serious in any form!

I stayed there when it was still a Sheraton and enjoyed my room and service.
Old Oct 7, 13, 2:06 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
So they have transitioned from a Four Points to a Sheraton to a Le Meridien by downgrading features like the lounge??????

Do Starwood Corporate oversee standards when properties seek to change brand? Could a Four Points unilaterally claim Luxury Collection status?
Old Oct 7, 13, 5:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by DCF View Post
So they have transitioned from a Four Points to a Sheraton to a Le Meridien by downgrading features like the lounge??????
The higher-end SPG properties (LC, W, M) don't have lounges as part of their brand standards (nor do most upper-end hotel brands anyways)
Old Oct 7, 13, 5:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
The higher-end SPG properties (LC, W, M) don't have lounges as part of their brand standards (nor do most upper-end hotel brands anyways)
Agreed. Although I think you meant to at St. Regis. LOL
Old Oct 20, 13, 1:28 pm

Programs: Delta GM +MM; SPG LT Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Anyone stayed there since the transition? especially plat policies re breakfast, internet, parking... if it's continental breakfast, is it at the coffee bar or restaurant?
I'll call next week before my stay to confirm all the new policies, but sometimes forewarned is forearmed.

My 2 cents:
Unfortunately, I've been staying here for 10 years for work and there's been an inverse relationship between their aspirations to be high end and customer service - when it was a 4 points motel, everyone was friendly and it felt like a great value; the transition to Sheraton kept the great service, but it began slipping about 4 years ago and the past 3 have been getting worse; worried that the "step up" to Le Meridien will mean a new low in customer service.
Unfortunately, the negative element is mostly due to 2 thing - 1 in their control and the other outside their control.
- customer service and policies that aren't always customer friendly (like using the free parking spots for valet or even handicap spots for valet of non-handicap cars or the experiment in charging for unreturned key cards, clear non-compliance with Sheraton lounge policies, etc.) and...
- the essential tension between trying to make what is in it's bones a motel a 5 star hotel (or at least charging 5 star prices) in a location that is adjacent to the ocean, but always going to be compromised - window units for a/c, very small rooms, undersized parking lot, an ocean 5 blocks away, and the noise and functions of a high school across the street are never going to be in the same league as some of the luxury properties nearby that are on the ocean or larger more serene lots or closer to shopping/restaurants.
Before the criticism begins, it's not my choice, but a corporate choice that puts me there year after year for a conference for 1-2 weeks. There are very nice and convenient elements - clean and comfy beds and some very nice staff - it's just a shame when the cons for a hotel are mostly fixable, but clearly the year-upon-year result of management choices.
Old Oct 20, 13, 6:26 pm

Loss of lounge is definitely a negative for any more stays in future for me, we did like the new, now gone, pool house lounge
Old Oct 23, 13, 6:48 pm

Programs: Delta GM +MM; SPG LT Plat; Hyatt Diamond
called and spoke with front desk - we'll see if the policy sticks between now and my stay next week...
the plat breakfast is now only an option under the platinum amenity option (others being 500 points or local amenity of in room movie and santa monica guidebook.)
The breakfast is in the lobby bar and is an all-cold continental including scones, yogurt, fruit and granola. (I'll update when on property in a couple weeks if there's more options.) This is for up to 2 guests (not sure about how kids are treated) and CAN be upgraded as a $15 per person dining credit, but I forgot to ask if they have a full buffet or if it's a la carte.
He also mentioned that plats get a 10% dining discount at their 3 dining outlets - lobby bar/restaurant, mezzanine restaurant and coffee bar open for breakfast only.
Old Oct 23, 13, 10:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 4.2.2; GT-I9505 Build/JDQ39) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/31.0.1650.29 Mobile Safari/537.36)

I was there two weeks ago. It seemed a bit improved from the Sheraton days. Parking in the garage is free now so that's a surprising change they aren't trying to nickel and dime me like the w Westwood and their $30 parking.
Old Nov 4, 13, 8:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
There is free parking offered but the lot does fill up at times, in which case you may have to use the valet (or hunt for street parking).
Old Nov 5, 13, 4:40 pm
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
I think that we should all give this property a chance.

It is quite a transition upwards going from a Four Points to a Sheraton to a Le Meridien, but the change is feasible because the rooms were always a decent size and so the key question will simply be whether the fittings and service meet the level expected of a Le Meridien.

The other thing they probably should do is market themselves as a sort of upscale overnight property for people transiting through LAX.

Those of us from Australia and New Zealand tend to depart LAX around 10pm, and many of those arriving from Australia do so around 8 or 9 am.

Santa Monica is a desirable overnight transit place (and we have strong currencies currently) and so there would be a definite market for an innovative upscale hotel to offer flexible arrival and departure times and airport transfers. People arriving early in the morning want a confirmed bed, but rarely want to pay an upscale hotel for the previous night when they aren't even in the country.

I would suggest a 24 hour check-in option at a rate of $300 for a base room, with additional hours available in blocks of $60 per 4 hours.

This would work as follows:

a) Pax arriving from Australia at 8 am, departing next day at midday.
$300 for 24 hours + $60 for 4 hour extension = $360

b) Pax arriving from East Coast at 1 pm, departing for Australia/NZ next day on 10 pm flight
$300 for 24 hours + $120 for 8 hour extension = $420

That would be really attractive to that niche of the market, but it's a really high-yielding upsell for the hotel too.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: