Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Le Meridien Delfina Santa Monica CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
A further datapoint here following my SNA issue above.

It would appear that the property has designated all suites (which I think are only differing types of junior suite) other than accessible junior suites (and I suspect there are few of those) as speciality suites so the odds of any effective upgrade moving forward as a plat with or without the use of SNA are going to be very low.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles

It would appear that the property has designated all suites (which I think are only differing types of junior suite) other than accessible junior suites (and I suspect there are few of those) as speciality suites so the odds of any effective upgrade moving forward as a plat with or without the use of SNA are going to be very low.
Looks like this property read all the SPG rules and gamed the entire system to not provide SPG elite benefits : i.e. no lounge, no suites, etc.

Lol. Time to vote with our wallets, and we should all vote wisely!
Old Dec 18, 2013, 10:13 am

Can you really put an "accessible" suite in a category called "standard" suites? And does this mean that spg platinums are fighting (and getting) the one type of suites that disable people need? Holy cow. If this is true, I would say "avoid at all costs" is more accurate.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred

This is a weird hotel that has a lot of irregular rooms. It's two building melded into one.

I took a tour of this property when it was a Sheraton and they don't have a lot of suites. Not being an apologist, just offering information. In addition, i'm not sure if there has been in any physical alterations to the property.

Something else to consider, if the property is transitioning to a Le Meridien from a Sheraton, it may be possible that rooms/floors have been taken off line as they remodel/renovate and change the brand standard.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by heakja
Can you really put an "accessible" suite in a category called "standard" suites? And does this mean that spg platinums are fighting (and getting) the one type of suites that disable people need? Holy cow. If this is true, I would say "avoid at all costs" is more accurate.
I guess (and this is just my speculation) they have looked at the numbers of rooms and worked out how to do the absolute least possible. Perhaps there isn't a huge call for accessible suites and thus maybe they only have one of those but quite a few more accessible rooms?

What has been done here and the way that it has been done has effectively removed this property from my consideration forever.

I also think this really tarnishes both the SNA process and the Starwood brand. It is a shame that Corporate don't do more to protect their brand.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
This is a weird hotel that has a lot of irregular rooms. It's two building melded into one.

I took a tour of this property when it was a Sheraton and they don't have a lot of suites. Not being an apologist, just offering information. In addition, i'm not sure if there has been in any physical alterations to the property.

Something else to consider, if the property is transitioning to a Le Meridien from a Sheraton, it may be possible that rooms/floors have been taken off line as they remodel/renovate and change the brand standard.
I don't think that explains what I was told though, this isn't a temporary or interim thing this IS the new policy moving forward. The property had previously designated Oceanfront Junior Suites as the standard SNA option (the only option IIRC) and I understand they may not have many of those but they were still selling 5 days prior to my now cancelled stay and are still selling today.

The issue isn't that the property is short of rooms, the issue is that the property has chosen to renege on the SNA selections made by those who booked prior to their policy change. That tells me all I need to know I should stay elsewhere.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 9:57 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Southwest Rapid Rewards A-List, HHonors Gold
This was one of my favorite properties to stay at but now that they don't have a lounge I have to look elsewhere. Any suggestions nearby?
Old Dec 24, 2013, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by htown
This was one of my favorite properties to stay at but now that they don't have a lounge I have to look elsewhere. Any suggestions nearby?
There Sheratons and possibly Westin Bonaventure are the only SPG brands in LA with lounges.

Check the Los Angels and individual property master threads.
Old Apr 6, 2014, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Had an overnight layover at LAX and thought this might be a good option since it was 12,000 points and even four points was 7,000. I'm also trying to do all 9 brands this year just in case they bring that hidden promo back and Le Meridiens aren't very common.

Not sure it was a good idea.

The website advertises $12 shuttle service which seemed cool so I thought I'd do that rather than rent a car for $50. I called and they had no idea what I was talking about. They said the only option was a taxi which would be "no more than" $25. Their website also indicates $25 from LAX.

I figured on a Sunday afternoon traffic shouldn't be bad (by LA standards) so it should be no more than $50 round trip total which is a hair cheaper than a car rental.

Not long after I took off, I saw how wrong they were. Price just to hotel was $55+tip. My flight tomorrow is 8AM on a Monday so that will be even worse I'm sure

Any other ways to LAX?

Last edited by catbox9; Apr 6, 2014 at 9:15 pm
Old Apr 7, 2014, 5:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by catbox9
Had an overnight layover at LAX and thought this might be a good option since it was 12,000 points and even four points was 7,000. I'm also trying to do all 9 brands this year just in case they bring that hidden promo back and Le Meridiens aren't very common.

Not sure it was a good idea.

The website advertises $12 shuttle service which seemed cool so I thought I'd do that rather than rent a car for $50. I called and they had no idea what I was talking about. They said the only option was a taxi which would be "no more than" $25. Their website also indicates $25 from LAX.

I figured on a Sunday afternoon traffic shouldn't be bad (by LA standards) so it should be no more than $50 round trip total which is a hair cheaper than a car rental.

Not long after I took off, I saw how wrong they were. Price just to hotel was $55+tip. My flight tomorrow is 8AM on a Monday so that will be even worse I'm sure

Any other ways to LAX?
This is to far away from the airport for an over night, if you would have asked before, I would have told you not to do this.

Why don't you check the Los Angeles forum for transportation options from that area to LAX.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
This is to far away from the airport for an over night, if you would have asked before, I would have told you not to do this.

Why don't you check the Los Angeles forum for transportation options from that area to LAX.
Yeah, I should have thought that through better. Oh well. I guess I got LA confused with NY where a hotel 10 miles from the airport is pretty easily accessible without a taxi or car.

I used to live in LA so I really should know better.
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Originally Posted by catbox9
Yeah, I should have thought that through better. Oh well. I guess I got LA confused with NY where a hotel 10 miles from the airport is pretty easily accessible without a taxi or car.

I used to live in LA so I really should know better.
Sorry to hear about your taxi troubles. You can call the local taxi company to pick you up - the fare to LAX should be a fixed rate of ~$32 (my info. is about 9 months old but it shouldnt be that much higher). Try Santa Monica Taxi at 310-828-2233. You can also take No. 3 (Big Blue Bus) from Santa Monica all the way to LAX, although I would budget sufficient time if you were planning on doing so.
Old Apr 18, 2014, 9:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Used my platinum amenity here for breakfast this morning and was pleasantly surprised given what I'd heard about other SPG properties handling of this ("Select 3 items" etc).

There was a reasonable amount of seating set up in the lobby bar area and a good selection of fruit, yogurts, muffins etc out on the bar to help yourself to.

Large urns of coffee, hot water (for tea) and orange juice.

The staff were friendly and pointed out that the continental breakfast has an $18 value, and as an alternative that could be used towards the price of anything from the restaurant's breakfast menu. I was happy with what was on display in the bar area so stayed there.

edit: Just to add... SNA was declined before checkin. Room reserved was a standard queen room. Room given was a deluxe king.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Nice-ish property

Won't win any beauty contests from the outside, but seems to be a solid option on the Westside that can be had for an affordable price.

Able to park for free(!) (good amount of self parking down there). Nice outdoor seating area, downstairs lounge/bar area, etc.

Hotel was sold out so no UG, but I did get a top floor room with a view North.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: Delta PM. SPG Platinum. Hyatt Diamond. National Exec. Southwest A+ & CP.
Would like to add that I stayed here for business for a week. Some thoughts for future travelers considering this hotel:

Breakfast - Used my plat amenity and received, Illy coffee, fruits, muffins, cereal, and yogurt. Nothing hot.

Suite upgrades - I suspect their unfortunate SNA policy is still in effect. When I arrived, I had requested an upgrade to an ocean suite but was denied saying all suites had been sold out. They instead gave me a cabana room with a promise of a "beautiful view of the pool". When I arrived (#290 FYI) I discovered the view was not of the pool but of someone's backyard. I had to look right from my tiny balcony to see the pool.

Obviously I called down and requested a regular deluxe room which they gave me. But upon arrival to THAT room, I discovered it was still being cleaned out and I actually could not occupy it for 3 hours as the lady was going on her lunch break. It was only after this the front desk "upgraded" me to an Ocean Suite which had magically been vacated. Clearly this hotel considers their junior suites as SNA only.

Rooms - Stylish, my room wasn't too old and the bed was comfortable.

Valet Parking - I waited 10 minutes for my car at night at 9 PM. Definitely not the most efficient system, and would recommend self park.

Staff - The staff were friendly, upon check-in I was even given a glass of wine.

Promos - The hotel is currently running a promo where you receive 500 additional points if you check out before 9 AM. It was on the plat letter I received when I checked in so I'm unsure whether this applied only for Plats.

Overall - I would not stay again. The Westin or Sheraton LAX are still my go-to hotels. They both have lounges - the Westin offers hot food AND omelets (Thurs/Fri) - parking is a breeze, and upgrades are easier to come by.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.