Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Khao Lak Resort & Spa, near Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2014, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: karenkay
* No Lounge.
* No shuttle to town

* Titaniums get 10% discount on food and beverage but not room service, and 20% off the spa, a la carte menu only. The spa is called Quan. The beach massages are cheaper but you pay for what you get! Especially during peak season, it's very hard to get a spot after arriving, so be prepared to reserve something prior to arrival.
15% discount on laundry

* The one thing that is (very) irritating are the sunbed baggers! You arrive on the beach at 0830 and all the beach sunbeds are covered in towels - but not a soul in sight! There are some small signs saying all unattended beds for 1 hour+ will have their towels removed - but this is not enforced.

* if you're looking for reasonable transport in and around khao lak, highly recommend 'cheaper than hotel taxi'.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Khao Lak Resort & Spa, near Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2021, 1:57 pm

Programs: AS; Aeroplan; Hilton (Diamond); Marriott (Platinum);
Maybe an odd question but I have an optimistically booked trip here over Christmas and was wondering what the likelihood of local restaurants being open would be? Either in-hotel or nearby? Any thoughts, even if its just for the beach shacks?
Old Oct 16, 2021, 2:40 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb, Hilton Diamond
Near by stuff was all open in August. Apsara on the other side of the beach was operational and serving as well. I think by December, there will be even more things open and plenty of stuff near by. The JW have almost doubled their rates from Aug -> Nov so I think they anticipate a lot of guests.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 4:24 am

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by banffflyr
Maybe an odd question but I have an optimistically booked trip here over Christmas and was wondering what the likelihood of local restaurants being open would be? Either in-hotel or nearby? Any thoughts, even if its just for the beach shacks?
I also have a booking here over Christmas. A colleague of mine stayed last week and told me that most of the beach shacks and restaurants near the hotel are open again. Khao Lak town still a bit deserted but slightly getting busier and more shops/restaurants opening again.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by Xizm
I also have a booking here over Christmas. A colleague of mine stayed last week and told me that most of the beach shacks and restaurants near the hotel are open again. Khao Lak town still a bit deserted but slightly getting busier and more shops/restaurants opening again.
How many guests are there?
Old Dec 25, 2021, 3:07 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Just finished up a 4-night stay here. No upgrade at all as Gold since the resort was completely booked full.

Pleasant 4* level resort, modern rooms that are well designed and pleasant resort grounds, though the beach area looks pretty basic. Breakfast was great, really wide selection of Thai/Asian/Western options. Only tried the Thai restaurant for dinner, very good. Beach bar drinks were middling. No issues using the $100 THC credit from Amex Plat. One other thing to note is that the Wiki is right that all the sunbeds are taken at 8am without a person in sight. Pretty annoying and the staff doesn't do anything about it. There is also a good independent Thai restaurant right by the hotel beach that is open and half the price of anything at the hotel.

If booking tours, I recommend doing so yourself online. The prices at the hotel are definitely inflated. You can also book an airport transfer to/from HKT far cheaper yourself than going through the hotel.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 7:27 am

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
Has anyone stayed at the oceanfront, private pool suite recently? Any feedback on them? Thanks!
Old Feb 23, 2022, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Desirees
Has anyone stayed at the oceanfront, private pool suite recently? Any feedback on them? Thanks!
JW Khao Lhak has no oceanfront or private pool suite room, I think you are thinking of JW Marriott Phuket. I also cannot locate the thread for that property you can try in general phuket thread Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phuket, Thailand
Old Feb 23, 2022, 8:15 am

They seemed to be doing construction while we did a long stay last year - not sure if it's completed and they have new rooms? The construction was on the otherside of the pool on the beach front.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 9:26 am

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
Originally Posted by AggressiveAsian
JW Khao Lhak has no oceanfront or private pool suite room, I think you are thinking of JW Marriott Phuket. I also cannot locate the thread for that property you can try in general phuket thread Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Phuket, Thailand
You are so right. Thank you for the quick reply.
Old Feb 23, 2022, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by Sohan
They seemed to be doing construction while we did a long stay last year - not sure if it's completed and they have new rooms? The construction was on the otherside of the pool on the beach front.
At Khao Lak? I think that is a spa, and it is completed
Old Mar 1, 2022, 10:55 am

Programs: Various shiny cards at hotel chains and airlines
Yes, there is construction ongoing to add 2 more long buildings of rooms and then a few villas to existing rooms/suites wings. Should be ready this June, I was told when I had a stay there a few days ago.

I was underwhelmed. Having booked JW Romance package on their website, including breakfast, candlelight dinner, welcome sparking wine + chocolate strawberries, and SPA treatment for 2, then on arrival there was no preparation. At the check in they seemed to be surprised that there was such package, but they found the details after showing booking conformation from Marriott.

The reception could not intially explain what that dinner is - it turned out to be option to choose one of 3 dinner venues and opt for 3 courses - but it looked like more than half of the menu items would require a surcharge. And 2 of 3 restaurants were not available any more as they had been fully booked, which left us just the Italian one. And that menu, some of the included choices were not available either. SPA treatment was not possible either as it was fully booked out until the following day until 1400, but we needed to leave before that. After some further reminders, got that wine and 6 half-raw strawberries covered with chocolate as foreseen in their package.

Regaring room upgrade - while both Duplex Suite and Executive Suite were available on the website, they initially wanted to upgrade us just 1 category to Pool Access room, which seems to be a new policy approved by their GM (whom I did not meet in person as he "was sick with flu at home" - so I was told by front office). I challenged that as Ambassador I should perhaps get a suite and a few hours later they offered one.

Suite's AC was quite loud even on a quiet setting and it seemed to be weak for effective cooling to decent temperature. Toilets were missing bidet shower, which is otherwise found even at the cheapest local Thai hotels.

Breakfast had quite some choices, but if you expect quality wise JW Bangkok levels, then you don't get those at Khao Lak. Service was forgettable - in fact no staff member came to the table to even ask your room number or coffee order.

For me it seemed to be more like badly run InterContinental than JW Marriott. Maybe when the new GM recovers the flu things would improve, who knows. I doubt I would return. I would rather go to LM, where service was much better.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
I have the complete opposite experience. JW is excellent and the F&B is too, especially compared to other properties. Been staying there 2x (total 3 weeks) in the last 2 months.

Personally I would not bother with the suites. That’s more an entitlement thing than a real upgrade. Sure, bigger but no large terrace or meaningful outside space. More useful for families or larger groups and that’s what they try and reserve them for. Regular rooms are excellent and almost all similar.

Then again: I tend to go with the flow and just enjoy my experience. LM was great too but a bit more chaotic and if you don’t snag the villa there, you will have a different experience. It’s so cheap that many people actually book the villas there. How dare they! 😊

F&B at JW 10x better and service overall less chaotic. Make friends with the staff is the best upgrade you can give yourself. Not by tipping them into submission but by being kind and personal.
karenkay and Sohan like this.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 1:41 am

Programs: Skywards Plat, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by henkybaby
I have the complete opposite experience. JW is excellent and the F&B is too, especially compared to other properties. Been staying there 2x (total 3 weeks) in the last 2 months.

Personally I would not bother with the suites. That’s more an entitlement thing than a real upgrade. Sure, bigger but no large terrace or meaningful outside space. More useful for families or larger groups and that’s what they try and reserve them for. Regular rooms are excellent and almost all similar.

Then again: I tend to go with the flow and just enjoy my experience. LM was great too but a bit more chaotic and if you don’t snag the villa there, you will have a different experience. It’s so cheap that many people actually book the villas there. How dare they! 😊

F&B at JW 10x better and service overall less chaotic. Make friends with the staff is the best upgrade you can give yourself. Not by tipping them into submission but by being kind and personal.
Totally agree with these points. I have stayed in most of the room options here and whilst everyone gets obsessed with suite upgrades I don't think there is anything of benefit to the duplex suites. The room seems to take an age to cool down due to the size and I think the layout is a novelty that quickly wears off. I will be back there next month and if I get the option I will turn down a duplex and stay in a pool access room.

The staff were really good last time we were there, breakfast was a la carte at the time and they were excellent. One of the best hotel coffees I have had as well.
margarita girl and henkybaby like this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Breakfast is back to buffet style with of course Made to Order options. Not an issue for me.

I also refused the suites and even the pool access as I like the privacy the 3rd floor provides.
karenkay likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2022, 10:42 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
i would choose a 'standard room' at JW over a 'pool villa' at LM anyday.

i found overall service at both resorts are equally nice.

i persoally prefer the beach at JW to LM.
henkybaby likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.