Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Khao Lak Resort & Spa, near Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 9, 2014, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: karenkay
* No Lounge.
* No shuttle to town

* Titaniums get 10% discount on food and beverage but not room service, and 20% off the spa, a la carte menu only. The spa is called Quan. The beach massages are cheaper but you pay for what you get! Especially during peak season, it's very hard to get a spot after arriving, so be prepared to reserve something prior to arrival.
15% discount on laundry

* The one thing that is (very) irritating are the sunbed baggers! You arrive on the beach at 0830 and all the beach sunbeds are covered in towels - but not a soul in sight! There are some small signs saying all unattended beds for 1 hour+ will have their towels removed - but this is not enforced.

* if you're looking for reasonable transport in and around khao lak, highly recommend 'cheaper than hotel taxi'.
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Khao Lak Resort & Spa, near Phuket Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2021, 1:39 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by margarita girl
See post # 133. The buildings are all perpendicular to the beach so nothing is ocean facing.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32125490-post133.html
Checked it out but I wasn't sure about Wing 5 since it shows that they technically face out towards the water and they show as full sun, so maybe unblocked. And from the pictures on the MR website, it's hard to tell if there is any view, as they took the pictures straight out to the pool. Thank you very much.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 4:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by rbAA
Checked it out but I wasn't sure about Wing 5 since it shows that they technically face out towards the water and they show as full sun, so maybe unblocked. And from the pictures on the MR website, it's hard to tell if there is any view, as they took the pictures straight out to the pool. Thank you very much.
It’s a huge property and wing 5 is a long way from the beach.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
It’s a huge property and wing 5 is a long way from the beach.
Indeed looks like a large property. Someone posted a Dec 2020 stay video. Maybe there are beach/sea view rooms (although can't really tell from video). Doesn't appear they have beachfront rooms/suites. Interesting 2 bdrm suites available for only 6,500THB.

margarita girl likes this.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by mileageking
Indeed looks like a large property. Someone posted a Dec 2020 stay video. Maybe there are beach/sea view rooms (although can't really tell from video). Doesn't appear they have beachfront rooms/suites. Interesting 2 bdrm suites available for only 6,500THB.

Thailand Update - JW Marriott Khao Lak Resort & Spa - Christmas Break - YouTube
Thanks for that. Brought back memories.

I don't think I'd be exaggerating to say it's a 5 minute walk from the lobby (which is where wing 5 is) to the beach. There is lots of greenery (multiple trees) in that space.
mileageking and soy like this.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 9:11 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by rbAA
Well sounds great, and we're heading there for 3 nights on March 1st. Using the THB5000 cost MegaTix voucher that will cover our room rate (THB2249/nt ++, and I'm guessing that the voucher can't be used for the taxes??) so a little spa and F&B for the rest. I probably didn't need to but attached 3 SNA's for the top suite offered. Are any of the suites direct ocean view?
In most Marriott hotels, the Megatix vouchers can be used to cover taxes, including JWM Khao Lak. Of those that I paid attention to, only Marriott Sukhumvit (Soi 57) does not allow it, although there might be others.

I do not think any rooms at JWM Khao Lak are being marketed as having sea views.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 2:56 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Originally Posted by escape4
In most Marriott hotels, the Megatix vouchers can be used to cover taxes, including JWM Khao Lak. Of those that I paid attention to, only Marriott Sukhumvit (Soi 57) does not allow it, although there might be others.

I do not think any rooms at JWM Khao Lak are being marketed as having sea views.
Great information, thank you.
Old Mar 1, 2021, 2:44 am

Happy wife, happy life

So we checked into the JW this afternoon, were UPG'd to the Duplex Suite, and I saw that look on my Thai GF's face. She didn't like not being able to walk out on the patio and get in the water, and didn't like the stairs, both of which I agreed were drawbacks to the otherwise great room. So, we downgraded to the first floor king room, not a suite, for the 3 nights we will be here. Getting my SNA's back. More later, as it's approaching sunset and we need to hit the beach for a walk before we dine and drink.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 11:03 am

Hi Folks, can someone update as to what the Platinum Benefits here at JW are. I understand that COVID times might be different but what is the norm?

I was reading in another blog that Breakfast is no longer offered as a benefit? Any other feedback would be great.........based on the above reviews and feedback it looks like it is a well liked destination!

A long way away but thinking about booking already for February - JUST IN CASE travel actually opens up. Do not want to be left without plans because I think planes / hotels will be full and prices are going to move up very quickly once that happens.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Bravada04
Hi Folks, can someone update as to what the Platinum Benefits here at JW are. I understand that COVID times might be different but what is the norm?

I was reading in another blog that Breakfast is no longer offered as a benefit? Any other feedback would be great.........based on the above reviews and feedback it looks like it is a well liked destination!

A long way away but thinking about booking already for February - JUST IN CASE travel actually opens up. Do not want to be left without plans because I think planes / hotels will be full and prices are going to move up very quickly once that happens.
We stayed there March 1-4 and as PLT recieved breakfast, and choices for a F&B amenity, which we selected a desert platter and (small) bottle of gin with tonics, which we had served at the beach bar/restaurant that evening, with our dinner. As I stated above in my previous post, we were UPG'd using SNA's but declined the suite, opting for the swim-up king room, as none of their suites have that feature.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 12:45 pm

Great. Thank You! ...good to know Breakfast is still on the list!
Old Apr 20, 2021, 2:10 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
Originally Posted by Bravada04
Great. Thank You! ...good to know Breakfast is still on the list!
I stayed 18 months ago so maybe not relevant in today’s situation but for a Marriott we were very impressed with the platinum amenities considering that this is a resort.

upgraded to duplex suite on day 2 of a 10 day stay ( paid not points)
Complimentary breakfast ( full buffet)
two complimentary drinks at czar bar per room per night to be taken anytime
complimentary shuttle into Khao lak

i believe most of these are still in place. Great property a little big for our liking but the pros made up for this. Great and attentive staff. We also liked the fact that a few local beach restaurants were within walking distance. I believe the renovations that took place since our stay are superb. Only drawback are the subbed hoggers! A real problem that needs to be addressed.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 5:45 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb, Hilton Diamond
How does this compare to JW in Phuket? I've stayed there but not at the Khao Lak one.

Would it be good for a long stay say 3 weeks+?
Old Apr 21, 2021, 8:04 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by Sohan
How does this compare to JW in Phuket? I've stayed there but not at the Khao Lak one.

If you want to chill out and relax it is excellent. It is quite isolated and the beach and pools are very good. There are a couple of local restaurants nearby and a few small shops by the entrance (buy booze or other provisions). The town is about 20min drive (with a night market).
If on the other hand you want nightlife and trips outside the resort, it is not so good
Old Apr 21, 2021, 10:56 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; Finnair Platinum
Originally Posted by Sohan

If it is 3 weeks+ I would go for JW Phuket. Khao Lak currently is a ghost town and JW Phuket open 4 more restaurants than Khao Lak does. But it is still a must try property in Thailand, I would try couple days in Khao Lak see how you like it
Old Apr 21, 2021, 4:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Our opinions are based on pre-covid times. We preferred JW Khao Lak over JW Phuket. Both are nice properties but the size of the pool at KL is what did it for us. It is just so large w so many spots, it's really fun.

We are not foodies and we aren't about going into town (but Phuket isn't really close to anything worthwhile either).

The Phuket gym is much better. I like the jacuzzi and gym as well as the free bike rides.

We got a tiny, non upgraded room at Phuket vs a huge gorgeous suite at KL which also might have colored our views. We just didn't love Phuket's pools w a kid. OK if an adult but too small for swimming or playing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.