Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bali, Indonesia

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bali, Indonesia

Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by rdlmitedu
Westin Nusa Dua is overrun with children. I left after one night.

The Laguna Nusa Dua (LC) is probably my favorite "resort" starwood anywhere in the world. I also went to the St. Regis for a drink during my stay; I'd consider staying there.

(all of the Starwood properties treat platinums well; got suite upgrades everywhere)

Kuta = aussie backpacker/surfer/drunkard douche land.

Le Meridien is actually pretty nice, and is a lovely/well managed property, and is on a beach with other things. For "romantic" I'd definitely go Laguna or St. Regis.

I didn't try the W Retreat (wasn't finished when I was there). I don't think I tried either of the Four Points.

Ubud is actually probably more interesting/authentic/local than any of the other places. I stayed in a local/vrbo place up there at the end of my stay, and it was great. There are a few Starwood properties still under construction. Personally I'd split my time between LC/St.R and something in Ubud if I had >5 days.
Agree with characterization of Kuta.

However, as a fan of the W, I'd note that Seminyak is home to the best restaurants and reasonably upscale shopping/clubs. I found Nusa Dua to be too stale for my tastes (love the SR, but the entire area is simply Western mega-hotels and lacks any "local" feel). Ubud also worth it, I'd stay on the outskirts of town rather than the city centre, as it gets pretty jammed with day-trippers during the day.

For those with time, Menjangan area is great, that's the upper northwest corner of the island. Reminds me of Bali back in the 1990s.

Good luck - Jamie
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Note that most/all of the Starwoods on Bali seem to be owned/operated by the same company.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Originally Posted by jamienbaker

For those with time, Menjangan area is great, that's the upper northwest corner of the island. Reminds me of Bali back in the 1990s.

Good luck - Jamie
When we were in Bali about 5 years ago, we did something we never do and broke rank with SPG and stayed at up at the Damai, a small-ish hotel up north. Took a snorkeling trip to Menjangan Island. To this day, it's the the gold standard we judge all snorkeling by (and most don't come close). Also cool to see deer walking on the beach and in the water.

As for Starwood, we stayed at the Laguna and St. Regis. Laguna was ok. We got a nice suite, but not a particularly memorable place. St. Regis was pretty spectacular, but we paid accordingly...
Old Sep 28, 2016, 9:00 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jamienbaker

However, as a fan of the W, I'd note that Seminyak is home to the best restaurants and reasonably upscale shopping/clubs. I found Nusa Dua to be too stale for my tastes (love the SR, but the entire area is simply Western mega-hotels and lacks any "local" feel). Ubud also worth it, I'd stay on the outskirts of town rather than the city centre, as it gets pretty jammed with day-trippers during the day.
Didn't think Kuta was quite that bad...but definitely catered to a budget, rowdier/drunker/younger crowd.

Agree with your characterizations of Seminyak (great restaurants, shopping, beach, more local charm) and Nusa Dua (Bali's version of Cancun).

I loved Laguna, but if we went back to Bali, would be staying at the W.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 7:08 am

Originally Posted by pokeable
Didn't think Kuta was quite that bad...but definitely catered to a budget, rowdier/drunker/younger crowd.

Agree with your characterizations of Seminyak (great restaurants, shopping, beach, more local charm) and Nusa Dua (Bali's version of Cancun).

I loved Laguna, but if we went back to Bali, would be staying at the W.
The other benefit to the W is that there's a ton of restaurants you can walk to, along the beach. The walk to Echo Beach isn't that long, and Sundays there are a load of fun. Gado Gado in Kuta is probably only a 25 minute stroll in the opposite direction, and that's one of our fave restaurants. Even closer are La Luciola, Ku De Ta, Potato Head, etc.

So that's another demerit to Nusa Dua, if the idea of walking to/from a restaurant along the beach appeals to you. I'd also note that Jimbaran is the same, there are a handful of seafood places along the beach, but nowhere near the plethora of options in Seminyak.

Wow, it's 9am in September and I'm already looking forward to August, 2017.

Best, Jamie
Old Oct 8, 2016, 4:24 pm

Having visited Bali for a weekend, my recommendations would be to stay in Seminyak. I would not recommend staying in Nusa Dua; I stayed at the Westin on a last minute reward stay and it was just OK. Got upgraded to a junior suite and room was nice. But I agree with other comments that you will get a more authentic stay in the other areas. The beach is only so-so in Nusa Dua. The shopping and restaurant scene was much more lively in Seminyak and Ubud.
Old Oct 8, 2016, 11:53 pm

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by mymilesandpoints
Hi folks - I'm planning a December Christmas period trip to Bali with my girlfriend. I've been reading a ton of reviews online but can't decide between The Laguna (luxury collection) and the Westin Bali. Have anyone tried either or both, what do you guys like better? Westin is 10,000 SPG points which sounds more appealing than The Laguna at 16,000 points. But Both cost the same if I do a paid stay. Around 200 bucks.
I am not a fans of staying in Nusa Dua area. But it depends what you want.

Personally, I like Kuta area. Yes many will say it is too crowded. The challenge is to find a place which is near enough to Kuta and quiet enough to relax. My choice falls to The Stones Legian.

Well it is Marriott, but I found this place is at the middle of Kuta, Pantai Kuta but still you can enjoy quiet times.

To me it is the best of both world. You can take a look on my blog if the room is something to your liking. It is minimalize concept. As Marriott Platinum you will get upgraded to pool view (the room you will see in my blog), free breakfast, and some snacks (Chilli chocolate). And may be more. I stayed as MR Gold.
Old Oct 9, 2016, 3:37 am
cln

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold
I can also recommend the stones especially in comparison with the Sheraton Kuta.
They also have nice rooms with bathtubs on the balcony. I'd probably even choose the Stones over W......
Old Mar 19, 2017, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Da Amb, Hyatt Glob
I need something inexpensive near the DPS airport for a quick layover. The map on SPG website seems to indicate that the Four Points Kuta is close to DPS but when I look at the hotel description, it says it's 7 kms away. The Four Points Seminyak is 8 kms away, so not much different.

Which hotel would you choose?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 4:30 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
What about the Sheraton, which is 4.4 km away? I recently completed a stay there. It is a quite good hotel. I was upgraded to a suite with an ocean view. It's across the street from the ocean, walking distance to Kuta's restaurant/shopping/entertainment district. The breakfast was good. The view and breeze from the restaurant/bar they call the lounge is incredible. The sunset view is stunning.

One word of warning, no matter which hotel you choose: Bali taxi drivers are looking to rip you off. From the airport, several wanted 600k IDR (~$45 USD) the the Sheraton and refused to turn on the meter. I even got out of a cab when the driver refused. This ride should cost ~150k IDR (~$11 USD).

Uber works well in the Denpasar/Kuta area of Bali. I was told they technically cannot operate at the airport, but do. I used Uber three more times during my stay without issue. Okay, there was one issue which was totally my fault. I chose the wrong destination which was apparent when the driver brought me to a dark, scary area. We were twenty minutes away from where I really wanted to be. The driver refused to recharge me, although I gave him a huge tip when we got to the right place. Again, this was totally my fault, but the Uber driver wanted to make it right.

Last edited by CJKatl; Mar 20, 2017 at 10:29 am
Old Mar 20, 2017, 7:58 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I need something inexpensive near the DPS airport for a quick layover. The map on SPG website seems to indicate that the Four Points Kuta is close to DPS but when I look at the hotel description, it says it's 7 kms away. The Four Points Seminyak is 8 kms away, so not much different.

Which hotel would you choose?
If I were stopping over for less than 24 hours I'd probably just go with the cheapest option - in this case the FP at Kuta? It also has a higher rating and considerably better reviews on the SPG website (4.5 vs 3.8). Also, despite the 'proximity' traffic can make that last km take much longer than you'd think - not what you want when there's a flight to catch. But I haven't stayed at either!
Old Mar 20, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by CJKatl
What about the Sheraton, which is 4.4 km away? I recently completed a stay there. It is a quite good hotel. I was upgraded to a suite with an ocean view. It's across the street from the ocean, walking distance to Kuta's restaurant/shopping/entertainment district. The breakfast was good. The view and breeze from the restaurant/bar they call the lounge is incredible. The sunset view is stunning.

One word of warning, no matter which hotel you choose: Bali taxi drivers are looking to rip you off. From the airport, several wanted 600k IDR (~$45 USD) the the Sheraton and refused to turn on the meter. I even got out of a cab when the driver refused. This ride should cost ~150k IDR (~$11 USD).

Uber works well in the Denpasar/Kuta area of Bali. I was told they technically cannot operate at the airport, but do. I used Uber three more times during my stay without issue. Okay, there was one issue which was totally my fault. I chose the wrong destination which was apparent when the driver brought me to a dark, scary area. We were twenty minutes away from where I really wanted to be. The driver refused to recharge me, although I gave him a huge tip when we got to the right place. Again, this was totally my fault, but the Uber driver wanted to make it right.
I'm having a stay planned at Sheraton in september. By looking at the reviews and pictures at Tripadvisor this hotel looks really good with low bali-rate. Really looking forward to my stay. Any pro tip what to with the taxis in order to get the lowest rate? Just go to each taxi at the airport and ask for either taxi meter will be on or locked decent rate?
Old Mar 20, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by joakgarp
Just go to each taxi at the airport and ask for either taxi meter will be on or locked decent rate?
Uber.

Barring that, only use an official taxi and know the fare to the Sheraton should be under 200k IDR.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 6:04 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
the only reason i would stay in nusa dua is to stay at st. regis.

Otherwise, i would go back to W.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by joakgarp
Any pro tip what to with the taxis in order to get the lowest rate? Just go to each taxi at the airport and ask for either taxi meter will be on or locked decent rate?
Download the Blue Bird app and request a ride through that. Their taxi drivers have always been honest in my experience. Overall fare may be slightly higher than Uber but you definitely won't get ripped off.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.