Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Email address (per post 312): [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by charlieduke
Thank you. Your grandmother is not right in my case. I can afford it but I refuse to pay $196 ( + tax probably)for four of us to have breakfast in the hotel.
I agree. If you stay here, try the nearby Brooklyn Diner on 57th Street.

https://www.brooklyndiner.com/57th-st-menus/#breakfast
Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:30 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador, Carlson Gold, British Airways Executive Club
That looks much better.

thank you for the suggestion.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Tit, LTP;Omni Black;IHG Spire; Hyatt Glob
I suggest that you do a google search on diners nyc, and check out the map. As you expand and contract the map various diners come and go depending upon your location in nyc. There are several options, depending upon how far you might want to walk. My wife and I did this when we last stayed the the ny edition. We ate a several diners near Union Square, ok meals, lots of local 'color'. Also there is a Whole Foods nearby that you could consider.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by charlieduke
Thank you. Your grandmother is not right in my case. I can afford it but I refuse to pay $196 ( + tax probably)for four of us to have breakfast in the hotel.
Just out of curiosity, do you believe there are hotels this category, in downtown Manhattan, NYC, that charge less for breakfast? How much would it cost at a similar category hotel in London?

Regards
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:25 am

Staying here in a few weeks.
Anybody used the restaurant downstairs for lunch, dinner or drinks? What is the atmosphere like? Am wondering if I can bring my work counterparts over for dinner.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by jaejaez
Staying here in a few weeks.
Anybody used the restaurant downstairs for lunch, dinner or drinks? What is the atmosphere like? Am wondering if I can bring my work counterparts over for dinner.
I stayed there a couple of days last month and ate dinner in the restaurant once. Atmosphere is ok, and about usual for that type of hotel, so nothing elegant. There is a bar area in the middle of the restaurant and there were a couple of groups of what appeared to be business colleagues spending time sitting at the bar.
I wasn't impressed with the food. It was mediocre and overpriced for what it was (as expected at a NYC hotel). I only ate there once because the resort fee includes a F&B credit per day. I didn't use the credit the second day. I would expect you could find much better restaurants near there.
jaejaez likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
A good friend of mine stayed here a couple weeks ago and encountered two roaches in his room. I thought he was kidding - surely a hotel of this caliber would be roach free. Checked around on a few different review sites and lo and behold, other reports of it..
Old Nov 10, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: Marriot Ambassador ; Delta Diamond ; Avis President's Club ; National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by brokenwindow
A good friend of mine stayed here a couple weeks ago and encountered two roaches in his room. I thought he was kidding - surely a hotel of this caliber would be roach free. Checked around on a few different review sites and lo and behold, other reports of it..
So that happened to me too. I was booked for 2 nights and on my first night, I snapped a pic of the roach and showed the front manager the next morning. They assured me they do regular pest control, but they also upgraded me to the 5th Avenue Suite for my remaining night of the stay. I was received complimentary sparking, desserts, and a hand written letter from the management. It was a very nice gesture and so I let the issue slide. I was a titanium elite at the time and the stay was booked on corporate rate. Hopefully they would've offered the suite even without status.

I've stayed there a few more times since and have not seen any insects.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 4:11 pm

I am on night 4 of a 4 night stay. I haven’t seen any roaches or bugs in general. The room and common areas are very clean.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 9:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Just wrapped up a two night stay on points. Upgraded to Manhattan Suite using an SNA. Like many of the older New York properties, the suite layout was a bit odd, but it was a true suite, with a huge entry hall, a long hall between the living and bedrooms, and 1.5 baths. Was hoping for further upgrade to Central Park View, but it didn't happen. The suite was adjacent to the service elevator, but this building is so solid, I didn't hear anything.

I really like the lobby and, especially, the old art deco elevators with original wood, marble, and brass. They're now piping trite pop music into the lobby, which is just, well, so Marriott.

Had breakfast in the lounge Sunday morning and it was an absolute zoo. Lots of large families totally lacking in manners. No scooters, but I did see a guy filling a 16 oz to go coffee cup with blueberries. And then there was dad who made junior put his boiled eggs back in the serving dish I elected to breakfast at The Smith on Broadway the next morning.

Service was impeccable and staff were quite personable. I really respect their patience dealing with the clientele here.

Got some value out of the $35/day destination fee with $30 worth of free laundry. Had no interest in dining at the in-house restaurant, so that $35/day credit went totally unused.

I have really mixed feelings about the location. It's great being right across from the Park, it's within a couple blocks of multiple subway stops, and it's an easy walk to Bloomingdales, Columbus Circle, and the Theater District. OTOH, the "Billionaire's Row" atmosphere which now suffuses CPS is really not to my liking at all. In any event, this remains one of the best Marriott options in Manhattan, especially when available for 50k points per night.
jaejaez and swintec like this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium
I, too, didn't shower alone one day in September. Discovered a big roach in there with me just as I was wrapping up. I got a bunch of points since I was there just one night and saw it shortly before I planned to leave.

I'm back there soon for an extended stay. I sure hope it's bug free.
Old Feb 28, 2020, 7:47 am

A little off topic, however does anyone have a ‘current’ Cat 6 recommendation for Manhattan?
Old May 13, 2020, 5:04 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Fam and I are travelling to NYC late June for some medical treatment for my son (scoliosis) - staying 2 weeks at the Essex, and wanted to get in touch with their VIP guest relations person (currently Titanium Elite here). I know there was a post with the email contact removed - can someone DM that to me?
Old May 14, 2020, 9:55 am

I can't help you with a contact but will share that we really like the hotel, its our go-to for NYC trips. My husband has the same status and we have yet to be successful on upgrades or redeeming SNU cert. I suspect this hotel gets MANY high status guests. The location is fantastic and there are many wonderful restaurants within a short walk. The breakfast was very good as it is the breakfast buffet of the restaurant next door. No doubt changes have been made since Covid.
Old May 14, 2020, 11:30 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by tripmaster
Fam and I are travelling to NYC late June for some medical treatment for my son (scoliosis) - staying 2 weeks at the Essex, and wanted to get in touch with their VIP guest relations person (currently Titanium Elite here). I know there was a post with the email contact removed - can someone DM that to me?
I mean no offense, but not sure being Titanium makes you a "VIP" at this property...

Regards
TSTraveler likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.