Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Email address (per post 312): [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by swintec
The email seems pretty straightforward to me and lays things out nicely with info most would need to know, even if they don't like the answers. What sort of issue did you have with it?
Originally Posted by Kacee
Agreed.

The Parade obviously presents substantial challenges for the hotel's management, and they're just trying to deal with the crowds and manage guest expectations. I'm sure it's based on years of experience dealing with guests who come in with unrealistic expectations.
Agree with both of the above.

Also, this hotel, while on the exempt list for weekend opening/1,000 points instead, still has the exec lounge open on weekends.

Cheers.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by swintec
The email seems pretty straightforward to me and lays things out nicely with info most would need to know, even if they don't like the answers. What sort of issue did you have with it?
I didn’t say it wasn’t straightforward or unclear. I said it was off-putting. In fact, I appreciate the clarity and candor. I would expect it to be clear to the property that most people who book the property over Thanksgiving weekend are doing so with the intent of having a memorable and enjoyable parade experience. I hoped that the property would have arranged to make that happen for their guests, at least for their top tier elite guests. This email made it very clear to expect no amenities to enjoy the parade without paying up to a park facing room, which was going for $1,600+ per night with a 3 night minimum.

Due to the property’s straightforward and clear email I chose to cancel and book elsewhere. That turned out to be a very good choice for me.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by jthomps
This email made it very clear to expect no amenities to enjoy the parade without paying up to a park facing room, which was going for $1,600+ per night with a 3 night minimum.
Or even the ability to eat breakfast, either on a complimentary basis by virtue of elite status or on a paid basis at the in-house restaurant.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
The lounge was closed one day. Coffee etc was available before 8:30 AM on Thursday. Bottles of water were available if you went to the front desk & asked. The lounge was open on Friday & operating on their weekend hours.

I was offered a credit to give up lounge access for Friday, Saturday & Sunday. I accepted the credit because I had my wife and kids. I did not want to exclude part of my group from the lounge.

If someone was concerned about missing Thursday breakfast, I am confident that the hotel would have offered a credit for room service. The only thing is that room service order would have had to be submitted on Wednesday because of the holiday.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by andrewstahl
The lounge was closed one day. Coffee etc was available before 8:30 AM on Thursday. Bottles of water were available if you went to the front desk & asked. The lounge was open on Friday & operating on their weekend hours.

I was offered a credit to give up lounge access for Friday, Saturday & Sunday. I accepted the credit because I had my wife and kids. I did not want to exclude part of my group from the lounge.

If someone was concerned about missing Thursday breakfast, I am confident that the hotel would have offered a credit for room service. The only thing is that room service order would have had to be submitted on Wednesday because of the holiday.
There is no reason to close the lounge, unless you want your guests to buy-up into the expensive breakfast-with-a-view scheme.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
The lounge was closed on Thanksgiving because the hotel sells a parade view breakfast package in the restaurant. It appears that the lounge buffet food area is the same space used by the restaurant. During normal lounge operation, the buffet area has access from both the restaurant & the lounge. For Thanksgiving, the hotel closed off lounge access so breakfast package customers are the only ones allowed. Otherwise, I would expect that some lounge guests would try to get access to inside parade viewing without paying for it.

I don’t see anything wrong with how the hotel handled Thanksgiving. In my opinion, the hotel treated Thanksgiving no differently than several of the other NYC hotels. Also, I’m confident that many NYC hotels charge a premium for New Year Ball Drop view rooms.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
There is no reason to close the lounge, unless you want your guests to buy-up into the expensive breakfast-with-a-view scheme.
Yes, we know, you don't like this property. Something about no coffee makers . . . .
Old Nov 25, 2018, 7:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by andrewstahl
Also, I’m confident that many NYC hotels charge a premium for New Year Ball Drop view rooms.
Charging a premium for market demand is one thing. Restricting benefits is something altogether differently. There's nothing in Marriott's terms and conditions, which admittedly contain wiggle room, that allow for a denial or restriction of benefits because of a special event. They could have easily used a meeting room or ballroom for a makeshift lounge.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:17 am

Marriott apologist? I'd like to order an omelette. room service.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Agreed.

The Parade obviously presents substantial challenges for the hotel's management, and they're just trying to deal with the crowds and manage guest expectations. I'm sure it's based on years of experience dealing with guests who come in with unrealistic expectations.
The "limited room service" menu and the MANDATORY ( no not suggested, nor recommended ) , night before ordering was all about revenue enhancement. They wanted the kitchen available for $500 breakfasts.
Hotels are running mid 90's % occupancy and sometimes even 100% . I could not even order an omelette and the children's menu for room service was removed as an option. The knob on the bathtub fell off. underwhelmed by staff , polish etc. The room was dated and tiny.

Expectations???

I'd like to order an omelette for breakfast.
I'd like not to be condescended to with the verbiage on the printed collateral. They need it outside vendor to write their "instructions" , "edicts" and "rules" that guests must follow.
Expectations???
I do not expect to eat ala carte normal pricing at a parade view table. But why close the Executive lounge? ( It is interior space) and why not offer the standard fare on the room service menu.
Stayed at the Hay -Adams in Washington DC July 4 th .and I did not expect roof access for fireworks, I appreciate that "special events" priced at a premium. But except for the special pricing at the parade view dining tables, everything else was wrong. And guests were not offered a discount over non guests,

So let me get this straight
High room rates.
High occupancy.
And the executive lounge is closed for breakfast.?
seems if you wanted to streamline the non price gauging dining, put a few aluminum trays of gross eggs and some fruit and golds and higher won't tax room service.
Oh and speaking of room service , fruit juice was in tiny generic brand bottles. So much for fresh squeezed!

It was like a nice Garden Inn.
Am I a child "don't forget to bring your room key" ...

Last edited by writetorich; Nov 28, 2018 at 1:28 am
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:26 am

I might be wrong but I think the lounge was interior or mostly interior space

QUOTE=hockeyinsider;30465988]Charging a premium for market demand is one thing. Restricting benefits is something altogether differently. There's nothing in Marriott's terms and conditions, which admittedly contain wiggle room, that allow for a denial or restriction of benefits because of a special event. They could have easily used a meeting room or ballroom for a makeshift lounge.[/QUOTE]

Denying someone a "free" lounge " breakfast will not entice anyone to pay the breakfast parade prices.
Either you are interested in that or not. I did not begrudge the Hay Adams for charging for access to what management felt were designated "fireworks viewing areas. We simply went outside of the hotel to The Mall to watch the fireworks.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
We had a recent rewards stay (Nov. 15-20) at the Essex House. Were given a park view room (lower floor) and the Executive Lounge was available to us every time/every day we checked (for coffee, breakfast, snacks/drinks, and cocktails). We used the $25 destination fee to offset our bar bill (hotel bar) every night. Worked for us.

This is an iconic hotel in the best location. We did need to interact with the day manager once and he was very helpful. And the Concierge emailed me a day earlier asking if we wanted to attend (free) the NY POPs dress rehearsal at Carnegie Hall (we didn't).
Old Nov 29, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: Marriott LTPP
Does anyone know if the lounge is open on the weekends for breakfast? Also, will they waive the destination fee for Plat. Premier? Can you get an upgrade her and how big are the rooms?
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
the bottom line on the destination fee

Essex House destination fee guide

I'm just wrapping up a week long stay (travel package) and can now share the definitive guide to their destination fee. It is available on request from the front desk. Make sure that you store this documentation out of sight in your room, because if you leave it on the desk the housecleaning staff will remove it! Also make sure to ask for daily laundry bags and forms, otherwise these will not be replaced by the cleaning staff and you won't be able to make full use of the laundry benefit.

The hotel barmen will try and pass of their pre-mixed Manhattan as "the best Manhattan in Manhattan". It isn't, and if you stand your ground and demand that it be mixed in front of you with Woodford, then you will have one (and only one) decent drink per night covered at the bar.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 10:45 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by transportprof

Essex House destination fee guide

I'm just wrapping up a week long stay (travel package) and can now share the definitive guide to their destination fee. It is available on request from the front desk. Make sure that you store this documentation out of sight in your room, because if you leave it on the desk the housecleaning staff will remove it! Also make sure to ask for daily laundry bags and forms, otherwise these will not be replaced by the cleaning staff and you won't be able to make full use of the laundry benefit.

The hotel barmen will try and pass of their pre-mixed Manhattan as "the best Manhattan in Manhattan". It isn't, and if you stand your ground and demand that it be mixed in front of you with Woodford, then you will have one (and only one) decent drink per night covered at the bar.
I've done four events in two years at the J.W. Marriott Essex House with each event involving 12–14 rooms for three nights' each. Not huge, but not insignificant. The contracted group rate was always around $299. I didn't return for a fifth event this year after they played games with posting my event earlier this year. I certainly won't return with a destination/resort fee.

I was going to book a similarly sized event at the Ritz-Carlton in Orlando, but they refused to waive the destination/resort fee. They wouldn't even deduct say $10 a day for the internet and telephone calls, both of which are complimentary by virtue of elite status. As a result, they lost my business.
Old Jan 6, 2019, 11:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Scanned the threads today and noticed that everyone recommends the St. Regis over the JW Marriott Essex House / Ritz New York. However, the St. Regis isn't taking points redemptions for my nights in May =/ So I'm left with JW Marriott vs. Ritz New York. This is a trip for my parents and I just want them to be comfortable (they're scared of big cities; ironic that they're going to New York, but they want to see a couple broadway shows) so I'll be using points for them so they have a little bigger room in these properties than what's normal in New York hotel rooms.

Things they appreciate:
1. The lounge (weekday trip so I expect lounges to be open vs. closed on weekends)
2. Views (Mom's a big view person)
3. Space

Based on this thread, leaning toward the JW Marriott Essex House. Should I be looking at the Ritz instead?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.