Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Email address (per post 312): [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2018, 3:21 pm

Location: Michigan's West Coast and wherever my clients need me
Programs: Delta Diamond (2+M MQMs), Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mplflyer
Regarding the “destination fee”, they are now VERY clear on what it covers and give you a card that clearly itemizes the benefits and that they are “daily”.
Agreed. I booked a Reward stay there a few months back for a stay in the early part of 2019, and the email confirmation explained what the destination fee covers. It is also clearly spelled out if I click on my reservation at Marriott.com. This message appears at the top of my reservation: "Please note – USD 25 daily destination fee added to room rate includes USD 25 food and beverage credit, enhanced Internet and more."
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Is the daily 25 food and beverage credit from the destination fee cumulative? E.g. for multi-day stays can I spend the credit for the entire stay (or multiple days worth) at one time or is it a daily limit of up to $25/day food and beverage credit (and you lose the $25 if you don't spend it that day)?

--Jon
Old Sep 17, 2018, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by mplflyer
We used the $25 daily food and bev credit for room service for morning coffee ( nice to not have to get dressed to get lounge coffee first thing).
I don't understand how this property gets away without having in-room coffeemakers.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 5:50 pm

The credits are not cumulative.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:06 pm

Here right now
live in NY
Very disappointing 60 000 points
And to think I did not do Ritz Carlton at same 60 000 points will post greater details
1 after check out
2 from a real keyboard not a tiny Droid phone
Absurd Thanksgiving policies you'd think the
the hotel Never had mid 90 percent capacity before

​​​​
Old Nov 23, 2018, 6:22 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by writetorich
Here right now
live in NY
Very disappointing 60 000 points
And to think I did not do Ritz Carlton at same 60 000 points will post greater details
1 after check out
2 from a real keyboard not a tiny Droid phone
Absurd Thanksgiving policies you'd think the
the hotel Never had mid 90 percent capacity before

​​​​
Interested to hear about your experience. I had two rooms booked here for the parade and made a last minute descision to move to the Courtyard Herald Square when availability opened up at that property.

I’m LPP with ambassador and got a “welcome” email from the property basically stating don’t even ask for an upgrade and detailing the restrictions on Thanksgiving Day. That email was very off putting so we made a last minute decision to move properties. Sounds like that was a good call.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 6:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by jthomps

Interested to hear about your experience. I had two rooms booked here for the parade and made a last minute descision to move to the Courtyard Herald Square when availability opened up at that property.

I’m LPP with ambassador and got a “welcome” email from the property basically stating don’t even ask for an upgrade and detailing the restrictions on Thanksgiving Day. That email was very off putting so we made a last minute decision to move properties. Sounds like that was a good call.
Can you post the email with any necessary redactions?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Can you post the email with any necessary redactions?

I am LTPP with Ambassador. I had three rooms for the parade using points. Here is my letter from the hotel.

"Greetings,

The JW Marriott Essex House New York is SO excited to have you and your family with us for the 2018 Thanksgiving holiday.

I am writing to reconfirm your SOUTHGATE Bar & Restaurant Thanksgiving 2018 breakfast table for 5 attendees. Please know that breakfast will open at 8:30 AM and conclude at 11 AM. Your bracelet access will be available starting at 8:30 AM. Please know that the parade will begin to pass by the hotel around 8:50 AM – 9 AM.

Please let me know the first and last names and ages of everyone in your party. I will be registering everyone in your room to your reservation and I will also be working toward a welcome gift surprise!

Attached is our Thanksgiving 2018 Guide, which highlights hotel food & beverage outlet information, balloon inflation, hotel amenities and more!

Please note that the Executive Lounge will be closed after breakfast on Thanksgiving Eve and on Thanksgiving Day. On days the lounge is open, Platinum Marriott Rewards® members and one additional guest have exclusive access to the lounge. Kindly keep in mind that Platinum member will need to be present in order to gain access to the lounge.

Please also let me know if you have any special requests or needs! If you have any further questions, please call me directly at 212-484-XXXX.

I am so excited at the opportunity to take care of you and your family and have you all experience the magic of an Essex House Thanksgiving!

Best,
XXXX"

My wife and adult kids agreed that this hotel is a level below a luxury property. We had a good experience in line with our expectations. The staff was very friendly and service is good.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
The hotel did reach out to me via phone as well. The person explained the hotel was nearly full and that they would try to get us an upgrade. We did receive a one room class upgrade on one of our rooms.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:02 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Platinum
Here’s the email that I got. We decided to move to the Courtyard Herald Square. They were charging $500/adult and $200/child for breakfast in the second floor lobby overlooking 6th Avenue. We had two rooms/3 adults and 2 kids; we did not partake. We did; however, receive an upgrade to a room fronting 6th Avenue and had a view of 6th and the turn onto 34th!

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the JW Marriott Essex House hotel for Thanksgiving 2018! We are looking forward to a wonderful holiday season including a spectacular Thanksgiving Day Parade, invigorating Black Friday shopping, and a joyous weekend here in NYC.

Below is a list of FAQs in regards to Thanksgiving, booking, rooms, etc. that will help you in planning your stay.

· Are there special viewing areas for JW Marriott guests?

We do not have any complimentary special viewing areas for hotel guests either inside or outside of the hotel. There are no areas in front of the hotel to stand as the New York City Police are there to keep the sidewalk traffic moving.

If you would like a view of the parade you will need to purchase one of our parade-view rooms or parade-view breakfast tables in our restaurant. Parade-View breakfast tables are currently sold out.

· Where are the best places for public viewing of the parade?

If you are not booking a parade view option at our hotel, according to the official parade website the best places are Columbus Circle, Central Park West, 6th Avenue, or 34
th
Street.

**Helpful tip - Crowds form as early as 6:00am along the route to secure a space to see the parade. There are no public restrooms along the parade route. Folding chairs and blankets are not suggested. Do not forget your room key for re-entry to the hotel.

· Will any complimentary upgrades be available over Thanksgiving? Even for Platinums?

We appreciate your loyalty to Marriott, but we are predicted to sell out for this special occasion so complimentary upgrades unfortunately are not likely. If you would like a specific room we highly recommend you book that room in advance.

Parade-view rooms are not eligible for any upgrade as they are considered a special-event room category. There are a select few rooms that are still available for purchase in our ‘Parade View Room’ Category. If you are interested in having a parade-view guest room, please contact [email protected] for updated pricing.

· Are there any other Food & Beverage outlet restrictions I may need to know about?

Please know that for the morning of Thanksgiving 2018 from 7 AM – 11 AM, room service orders must be pre-ordered by 8 PM on Wednesday, November 21, 2018. Please see Page 4 of our Thanksgiving Holiday guide and email to Jennifer at [email protected].

· Do you have Rollaway Beds?

We do indeed. Rollaway beds will be $75 per night. Please let us know in advance as extra beds are limited.

· Are there any discounts on the parade view rooms, such as AAA, Senior Citizen, Marriott Rewards, etc.?

We do not have any type of discount on our parade-view rooms, and Marriott Rewards Points are not eligible to be redeemed for parade-view rooms.

· Do you have any connecting rooms available to a parade view room?

Our parade-view rooms do not have connecting rooms to them. If you require additional space, we suggest booking one of our parade-view suite options, or you can book a non-parade-view room down the hall from your parade-view room. Pricing for non-parade-view rooms is available on our website, or by calling reservations at 888-236-2427. All suites in our hotel have pull-out sofa beds in the living room, or rollaway beds are available for an additional $75 per night (must be requested in advance). Our standard rooms do not have pull-out sofa beds.

· Will the Executive Lounge be open on the holiday?

The Executive Lounge for our Platinum guests will be closed on Thanksgiving Day. We will be serving coffee and hot chocolate, however, starting at 5:30am on the morning of the Parade. On the days the lounge is open the Platinum and ONE additional guest + children will have access to the lounge.

· Will there be street closures because of the holiday?

Yes, surrounding streets including Central Park South will be closed starting at 6AM on Thanksgiving Day until about 3PM.

· Are the bleachers across from the hotel available for guests?

No, those bleachers are reserved for Macy’s clients and are unaffiliated with the hotel.

· What restaurants do you recommend for Thanksgiving Dinner?

Our Southgate Bar & Restaurant will be hosting a Thanksgiving Buffet from 3pm – 8pm for $145 per person, and $75 per child under 12. If you wish to explore options outside the hotel, please contact our concierge at [email protected]

Thank you,
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:48 am
Suspended

I'm sure Marriott would back the property, but I don't know if a plain reading of the loyalty program terms and conditions allows the property in question to exclude non-suite rooms from a complimentary upgrade if at the time of check-in one of those so-called parade view rooms was unsold.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 8:39 am

The email seems pretty straightforward to me and lays things out nicely with info most would need to know, even if they don't like the answers. What sort of issue did you have with it?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by swintec
The email seems pretty straightforward to me and lays things out nicely with info most would need to know, even if they don't like the answers. What sort of issue did you have with it?
Maybe closing the executive lounge thereby denying eligible elite status customers a complimentary breakfast, as this is one of the properties exempted from having to provide a complimentary breakfast in the restaurant when the lounge is closed. Don't forget: This property doesn't have coffeemakers in guest rooms either. So no lounge = no coffee.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Maybe closing the executive lounge thereby denying eligible elite status customers a complimentary breakfast, as this is one of the properties exempted from having to provide a complimentary breakfast in the restaurant when the lounge is closed. Don't forget: This property doesn't have coffeemakers in guest rooms either. So no lounge = no coffee.
Looks like they gave coffee and hot chocolate Thanksgiving morning though. Do the other hotels that close lounges on holidays or holiday weeks give breakfast in the restaurant? I know we have had threads on here about it in the past. Did Essex give 1000 points when the lounge closed Thursday morning?

I'm inclined to give them a pass here since they also don't need to be open on weekends either but they still are the rest of the year so they still go above and beyond what's needed.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by swintec
Agreed.

The Parade obviously presents substantial challenges for the hotel's management, and they're just trying to deal with the crowds and manage guest expectations. I'm sure it's based on years of experience dealing with guests who come in with unrealistic expectations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.