Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Email address (per post 312): [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Old Jun 22, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
I just booked a seven night travel package at the Essex House. The $25 daily destination fee was included in the booking, along with about $50 in taxes (I'm assuming city occupancy tax or something similar).

Any reports of downward adjustment in this gouging would be quite appreciated in the months ahead. My stay isn't until December.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
I just booked a seven night travel package at the Essex House. The $25 daily destination fee was included in the booking, along with about $50 in taxes (I'm assuming city occupancy tax or something similar).

Any reports of downward adjustment in this gouging would be quite appreciated in the months ahead. My stay isn't until December.
My wife and I stayed at the EH, for five nights over Memorial Day weekend on points. We booked the reservation on January 31, '18, and at that time there was no indication that the hotel would be tacking on the $25 daily fee. About a month before our arrival, I checked the reservation on the Marriott website, and saw a notice about a $25 fee. I elected not to address the matter at that point, but a few days before arrival I called the hotel asking about this charge, and learned that the fee has been added to all reservations made on or after February 1 ,'18. I was advised that since our booking was made prior to that date we would not be charged, and we weren't.

However, after staying at the hotel I concluded that while the imposition of these fees could be a simple matter of "gouging", as you suggest, there might be value for the payment. A case in point would be that the $14 charge for a glass of wine in the Executive Lounge, might be offset by the fee, with the $11 balance being credited to the cost of a second glass for your wife.

I have LT Plat status with MR, and found the lounge to be one of the best that I have visited in the US. The breakfast buffet offering is marvelous, and is the same offered to guests in the hotel's dining room. The only distinction is that a guest in the lounge is not able to order items not on the buffet, such as eggs cooked to order. We had our evening meal in the lounge on two of the five nights that we were at the hotel, and the offerings were what you might expect, i.e. an assortment of vegetables and cheeses, etc., plus a hot entree. One night the hot dish was roast turkey breast with mashed potatoes and gravy and on the second evening it was a lamb stew with egg noodles. While these dishes might not be gourmet items, on both occasions they were well prepared and solid comfort food.

Also, although our confirmation did state that we would be charged a nominal amount for taxes and fees, none of these items ever made it to our final bill.

I also neglected to mention previously, that in accordance with my request to the FD, The NY Times was delivered to our room every morning during our stay.

Last edited by SCEflyer; Jul 21, 2018 at 8:22 pm Reason: Update
Old Jun 22, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SCEflyer

However, after staying at the hotel I concluded that while the imposition of these fees could be a simple matter of "gouging", as you suggest, there might be value for the payment. A case in point would be that the $14 charge for a glass of wine in the Executive Lounge, might be offset by the fee, with the $11 balance being credited to the cost of a second glass for your wife.

My understanding is that the $25 daily destination fee generates a once per stay $25 bar credit. That will leave $150 in gouging, as far as I can tell. I'm already Gold, which will map into Platinum something or other in August, and that should have covered the enhanced wifi. I can't see anything else of value that is provided in return for the destination fee.

But I'd be happy to be proved wrong.
Old Jun 22, 2018, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof
My understanding is that the $25 daily destination fee generates a once per stay $25 bar credit.
If that proves to be the case, it would bring new meaning to your use of "gouging".

Also, as a Gold aren't you already entitled to the enhanced internet service, not that it would really matter since it would also be covered by the fee?

Perhaps someone who has had to deal with the first issue could weigh in on their experience.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 5:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I'll be here in July for a week
I will update this thread on the situation
In addiition, I will likely fight it [to little or no avail most likley] just on principle.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 6:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Considering New York's aggressive attorney general office, someone should consider filing a complaint against hotels charging a fee for internet when internet is advertised as complimentary.
VisaW likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Most of the full service SPG and Marriott properties in NYC are now charging destination fees. Ren Midtown still an exception.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Ambassador, Delta Diamond, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Considering New York's aggressive attorney general office, someone should consider filing a complaint against hotels charging a fee for internet when internet is advertised as complimentary.
This is actually a really smart idea and is the kind of thing the AG would love some press around. Or Chuck Schumer, though it's less of an "everyday American" issue, so maybe not.
Old Jul 21, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
Can someone update what the $25 credit can be used for? For example, is it available for the lounge alcoholic beverages (or does it need to be from a specific bar or such)? We will be there for one night next weekend and any experiences would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 6:33 pm

Programs: AC 50k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dcchi
Can someone update what the $25 credit can be used for? For example, is it available for the lounge alcoholic beverages (or does it need to be from a specific bar or such)? We will be there for one night next weekend and any experiences would be appreciated. Thanks.
My experience a few weeks ago was that no one seems to really know what's included. I asked the concierge, and an FD manager and neither could tell me everything that was included. One thing they were sure about is that it doesn't accumulate. It's $25/day use it or lose it.

They ended up removing the charge as a "one-time" gesture.

Also don't expect any sort of upgrade. I'm Platinum and got a 6th floor room facing. Pretty noisy although I'm not sure if it was the street I was facing or the lack of soundproofing in the (historical) hotel. I stayed in mid-town a few weeks before (at a Residence Inn) this stay though and didn't have any problems with noise (it was also a much higher floor).
Old Jul 26, 2018, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by TV guy
Also don't expect any sort of upgrade. I'm Platinum.
as always that will be YMMV. the two times I have stayed at this hotel on points, base room, I was given an upgrade. first time to a central park view and the second time to a family suite.
Old Jul 26, 2018, 10:55 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's $25/day use it or lose it.
$25/day is not a bad . . . certainly better than what most properties give you in exchange for these execrable fees.

Also don't expect any sort of upgrade.
I've gotten nice upgrades here. Much depends on the agent who checks you in.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Also don't expect any sort of upgrade. I'm Platinum and got a 6th floor room facing. Pretty noisy although I'm not sure if it was the street I was facing or the lack of soundproofing in the (historical) hotel. I stayed in mid-town a few weeks before (at a Residence Inn) this stay though and didn't have any problems with noise (it was also a much higher floor).
I was told, on average, they have 75 platinums per night. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the new post-August 18 program will actually differentiate or prioritize upgrades between the different statuses of platinum premier ambassador, platinum premier and platinum.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
My experience a few weeks ago was that no one seems to really know what's included. I asked the concierge, and an FD manager and neither could tell me everything that was included. One thing they were sure about is that it doesn't accumulate. It's $25/day use it or lose it.
Sorry but I'm still confused. Is the Essex House treating the $25 Destination Fee (per day) as a daily food and beverage credit as it appears some are saying?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Old Hickory
Sorry but I'm still confused. Is the Essex House treating the $25 Destination Fee (per day) as a daily food and beverage credit as it appears some are saying?
Call the property & ask, although it sounds like there's some confusion at the property level as well!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.