Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Email address (per post 312): [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2018, 1:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I can assure you that children in the lounge doesn't seem to be an issue. When I have stayed it was clear the families were bringing in kids, as in the evening during the bar service it was difficult to find anywhere to sit because families with kids were sprawled out. This is the same problem with the J.W. Marriott in Singapore. I personally don't think children should be allowed in an executive lounge, period. If you want to call it a club lounge and also sell access then fine, but an executive lounge infers, by name, that it's for business travelers. But I digress.

There is a small stand when you enter the lounge. Sometimes it was staffed, but other times it wasn't. I've never seen anyone challenged for their name or room number because you need a special card to access the room. Your regular room card doesn't work.
i

thank you for the info

much appreciated
Old Mar 27, 2018, 12:55 pm

I booked a five night stay using points that will span Memorial Day weekend. I just looked at the reservation on the website, and noted that a $25.00 daily fee has been added since I made this booking on January 31. I also noted that the T&C’s permit the hotel to do this. (Shame on me! ). I am a Plat, and am curious whether anyone has been successful in having this fee waived when it has been added after the fact.

Also, the CL appears to be closed over the weekend, and I noted that while there is no offer of a restaurant breakfast, there is compensation of 1,000 MR points. Would this be offered for each day that the lounge is closed or just once?

Finally, what can I expect to receive for the $25.00 at this property?

My wife is part of a choir that has a performance at Carnegie Hall while we are in NYC, which makes the Essex House location highly convenient for us, so changing hotels is not really an option.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by SCEflyer; Mar 27, 2018 at 12:58 pm Reason: Clarification
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:06 pm

The lounge is open during the weekend for elites for breakfast and i think dinner stuff unless something has recently changed.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by SCEflyer
I booked a five night stay using points that will span Memorial Day weekend. I just looked at the reservation on the website, and noted that a $25.00 daily fee has been added since I made this booking on January 31. I also noted that the T&C’s permit the hotel to do this. (Shame on me! ). I am a Plat, and am curious whether anyone has been successful in having this fee waived when it has been added after the fact.

Also, the CL appears to be closed over the weekend, and I noted that while there is no offer of a restaurant breakfast, there is compensation of 1,000 MR points. Would this be offered for each day that the lounge is closed or just once?

Finally, what can I expect to receive for the $25.00 at this property?

My wife is part of a choir that has a performance at Carnegie Hall while we are in NYC, which makes the Essex House location highly convenient for us, so changing hotels is not really an option.

Thanks for any input.

I would protest it. You should have your original email without it.

I pulled up Marriott.com and did a dummy reservation for this property. Marriott.com says: "Please note - USD 25 daily destination fee added to room rate includes USD 25 food and beverage credit, enhanced Internet and more."

The "daily destination fee" is not defined in the rate information nor anywhere on the website. For example what is included as "more" is not defined nor listed.

Resort fees are bad enough, but charging a "destination fee" for "enhanced internet" when gold and platinum elites already receive complimentary "enhanced internet" is outrageous.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium

I pulled up Marriott.com and did a dummy reservation for this property. Marriott.com says: "Please note - USD 25 daily destination fee added to room rate includes USD 25 food and beverage credit, enhanced Internet and more."

The "daily destination fee" is not defined in the rate information nor anywhere on the website. For example what is included as "more" is not defined nor listed.

Resort fees are bad enough, but charging a "destination fee" for "enhanced internet" when gold and platinum elites already receive complimentary "enhanced internet" is outrageous.
I had that happen at the Marriott East Side. They put a destination fee in place well after I had made my reservation. When I showed up and mentioned it, they said it would not apply to any reservations made prior to its implementation. I suggest you question it upon arrival.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by michelin
I had that happen at the Marriott East Side. They put a destination fee in place well after I had made my reservation. When I showed up and mentioned it, they said it would not apply to any reservations made prior to its implementation. I suggest you question it upon arrival.
Agree. Also, this is a reason to save into folders the original email reservation confirmations. Provides proof that the fee didn't exist when the reservation was made. While Essex House is technically on the list for exec lounge closed on weekend/1,000 points, all FT reports are that the exec lounge is open on the weekends.

Cheers.
Old Mar 28, 2018, 5:03 am

Three questions here:

First on the daily destination fee, I did see that banner that you listed above about the destination fee. It definitely applied to my 4 night award booking. Question: it is a daily fee but do I only get "one" $25 food and beverage credit? As a gold I should get enhanced internet so I'm also curious as to what "more" entails? Does it entail use of the gym which looks fairly nice via the pictures on the website.

Second: As stated above, I have the Manhattan Suite booked for four nights, the first night of my trip [which I still have not booked a room] does not have the MS available for points although it is available for purchase. Question: "IF" the MS becomes available that first night, do I just call to get it added as the 5th night free? [Yes I realize I'll pay the points premium for the suite]

Third: What is the closest subway stop to this property?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 7:52 pm

In regard to subway stops, the “legacy”.BMT lines stop at 7th Avenue and 57th Street. You will find the 1 & 2 ex-IRT lines and the old IND A B & C lines at Columbus Circle. Both stops are an easy walk from the hotel. I recommend checking the Essex House webpage for more information.

Also, in regard to an earlier point, I do have the January ‘18 confirmation, and intend to have a candid conversation with the GM, if the FD doesn’t waIve the $25.00 daily fee. I could care less about the “benefits”.
Old Mar 29, 2018, 7:44 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by SCEflyer

In regard to subway stops, the “legacy”.BMT lines stop at 7th Avenue and 57th Street. You will find the 1 & 2 ex-IRT lines and the old IND A B & C lines at Columbus Circle. Both stops are an easy walk from the hotel. I recommend checking the Essex House webpage for more information.

Also, in regard to an earlier point, I do have the January ‘18 confirmation, and intend to have a candid conversation with the GM, if the FD doesn’t waIve the $25.00 daily fee. I could care less about the “benefits”.
Good for you. At the very minimum, the property needs to clearly define what is included and provide something of value to gold and platinum elites since it is charging for the premium/enhanced wireless internet. For what it's worth, $25 is probably two drinks from the honor bar in the executive lounge.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 6:28 am

Good for you. At the very minimum, the property needs to clearly define what is included and provide something of value to gold and platinum elites since it is charging for the premium/enhanced wireless internet. For what it's worth, $25 is probably two drinks from the honor bar in the executive lounge.
So I still don't know what this $25 per night gets me other than what I presume is one $25 F&B credit. I already get the wifi upgrade so I can't see that being called part of the deal [will state so at check in when I ask].. but there has to be something else????
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
there has to be something else????
Why does there have to be something else? It's the same money grab numerous other properties are pulling in NYC and elsewhere. Just a way to raise rates without visibly raising the rate. Unless and until the FTC declares this practice unlawful, you will see it continue to spread.

Unfortunate that this property has chosen to follow this trend.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:58 am

So I still don't know what this $25 per night gets me other than what I presume is one $25 F&B credit. I already get the wifi upgrade so I can't see that being called part of the deal [will state so at check in when I ask].. but there has to be something else????
Seems the trend has been to reduce the fee a bit ($5 or so) for elites since wifi is already included in benefits. usually find out at checkout on the invoice.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I believe at the Marriott East Side there was a dry cleaning credit and a few other items. I can't remember if it was daily or a one time, as it did not apply to my reservation. Perhaps a call to the property is in order.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by swintec
Seems the trend has been to reduce the fee a bit ($5 or so) for elites since wifi is already included in benefits. usually find out at checkout on the invoice.
I presume this is something that has to be requested or discussed at the FD during check in or soon thereafter.
Old Mar 31, 2018, 2:31 pm

I presume this is something that has to be requested or discussed at the FD during check in or soon thereafter.
When I stayed at a resort this past december it was already done for me and ive seen other mentions of it around FT as well. I would think if it is policy now they will just do it versus waiting for an elite to haggle with them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.