Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Email address (per post 312): [email protected]
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Essex House, New York City (Manhattan) [Master Thread]

Old Dec 18, 2017, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
IMy lifetime platinum and platinum-premier colleague received an upgrade to a Manhattan suite on the 39th floor, which was spacious but had no view of Central Park. If I was him, I would have declined the upgrade or requested a suite overlooking Central Park.
That is completely unrealistic. Manhattan suite is a fantastic upgrade and the NYC skyline view is quite pleasant.

I find this property to be one of the gems in the Marriott system. Service has been great for me and the lounge breakfast is better than any other Marriott I've stayed at in the US.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 9:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
That is completely unrealistic. Manhattan suite is a fantastic upgrade and the NYC skyline view is quite pleasant.

I find this property to be one of the gems in the Marriott system. Service has been great for me and the lounge breakfast is better than any other Marriott I've stayed at in the US.
He had a king-sized room with a Central Park view. For me, that's a better view than looking into the side of a neighboring building.

And I don't know you can say this is a "gem." Yes, the lounge is better than most or maybe all domestic properties without a M Club lounge, but the level of service isn't on par with J.W. Marriott hotels. Heck, even Motel 6 gives each room a coffeemaker. Having turndown service but not providing it unless someone requests it and then not telling guests to request it if they want it is poor.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 10:49 am

Agreed. When I stayed a year ago on points as LTP and PP, I was upgraded from a basic award room to a Manhattan suite. NO view besides an alley way and some other buildings but I didnt care as I was out and about all around NYC for my stay and it was nice to come back and have the space. If we wanted to see central park we went for a walk.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
He had a king-sized room with a Central Park view. For me, that's a better view than looking into the side of a neighboring building.
I'm sure they would have given back the king room if he'd asked. The Manhattan suite is typically around 2x the price.

the level of service isn't on par with J.W. Marriott hotels
You must be comparing to Asia, because for a domestic or latin american property, the service is excellent.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I'm sure they would have given back the king room if he'd asked. The Manhattan suite is typically around 2x the price.

You must be comparing to Asia, because for a domestic or latin american property, the service is excellent.
Not having coffeemakers, not having turndown service, not having a guide or directory of services in the room, not delivering a newspaper to the room (or even by the elevators), not having an espresso machine in the lounge, and not having coffee mugs in the lounge has nothing to do with where the hotel is located.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 3:02 pm

Not having coffeemakers, not having turndown service, not having a guide or directory of services in the room, not delivering a newspaper to the room (or even by the elevators), not having an espresso machine in the lounge, and not having coffee mugs in the lounge has nothing to do with where the hotel is located.
Everything but the coffee maker strikes me as trivial, and that's unfortunately very common in NYC.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 6:14 pm
Suspended

I booked a regular king-sized room with my usual request for a high floor at the J.W. Marriott Essex House in New York. I noticed about 24 hours ahead of time that I had been upgraded into a junior suite. I did the online check-in and arrived about 20 minutes ahead of my stated time. When I arrived I was told I was upgraded into what was described as a "family suite." I was also thanked for my platinum-premier status.

It's a spacious two-room suite that includes a large bathroom. The bathroom has both a bath tub and a standalone shower. While I don't care for the couch -- it's the same velvet-like black material used in the junior suites at this property, a material that will show stains easily -- the upgrade was very nice. My only complaint is the suite is on the 11th floor and has zero view. The view is of the sides or windows of neighboring buildings. I would rather been upgraded to a non-suite on a high floor with a Central Park view.

Interestingly enough, the family suite came with a Keurig coffeemaker. This is one of the few hotels in the entire portfolio of Marriott brands without coffeemakers.

As usual, the executive lounge at night was VERY crowded. I walked in, grabbed a couple cans of Diet Pepsi and left.

Old Mar 3, 2018, 6:09 am

Charge for In Room Safe???

I have booked a five night stay here over Memorial Day weekend. The "Room Details" page for our Essex room on the website, states that a safe is available, but that there is a fee for using it. Would anyone who has stayed here know if this accurate, and if so what is the cost?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No charge for safe. Have you ever been charged to use a safe?
Old Mar 3, 2018, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by bhatnasx
No charge for safe. Have you ever been charged to use a safe?
Never at any hotel, Marriott or otherwise. However, given the nuisance fees that appear to be very common in NYC these days, nothing would surprise me.

Thanks for your response.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SCEflyer
I have booked a five night stay here over Memorial Day weekend. The "Room Details" page for our Essex room on the website, states that a safe is available, but that there is a fee for using it. Would anyone who has stayed here know if this accurate, and if so what is the cost?
FYI. This hotel charges for an in-room coffeemaker. Only Marriott hotel I've ever stayed at without one.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:25 am

FYI. This hotel charges for an in-room coffeemaker. Only Marriott hotel I've ever stayed at without one.
The NYC Edition 30 blocks away has no in room coffee makers.

Not sure why you would keep staying here, given all your negative comments.
dgreen12 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:04 am
Suspended

The NYC Edition 30 blocks away has no in room coffee makers.

Not sure why you would keep staying here, given all your negative comments.
On this stay, I received a coffeemaker. Maybe they are included in suites but not rooms. I also received the turndown service.

My comments weren't negative. Saying I didn't receive X, which is normally included or is advertised as being included, isn't negative.

And regardless, it's a hotel colleagues and I use for business.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Suites vs two connecting rooms

Family of four [2 adults/2 teens 13 & 16]
July visit for two nights during the week
Can get two rooms [2 Q & 1K] for two nights at a total MR points cost of 190K
or
can get a Jr. [160K] or one of the family suites at a cost of 170k for a Manhattan or Family suite

the question is in the suites is there a possibility of 3 sleeping beds? I.e... King Bed, sofa pullout appears to be a queen but is there a 3rd couch type bed that could be used as a bed?

The suites appear to be the best value for the points but the devil is in the details.

Kids could share a bed but if they don't have to. On that note, I just might splurge the extra points to get two connecting rooms.

next up - lounge access

I've read the posts with the official reading of Elite +1 guest

then I've read posts where more than that get into the lounge i.e., the party of three that got in no problem. Based on recent stays, how tough are they on the Elite +1

Is there a gate keeper checking off your name and room at the door or how do they actually know that you are a family of four coming in unless you come in together?

If there is a lounge dragon checking names and rooms, can I come in with my other half then go back to the room and send the kids down after [or first]?
Old Mar 4, 2018, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
next up - lounge access

I've read the posts with the official reading of Elite +1 guest

then I've read posts where more than that get into the lounge i.e., the party of three that got in no problem. Based on recent stays, how tough are they on the Elite +1

Is there a gate keeper checking off your name and room at the door or how do they actually know that you are a family of four coming in unless you come in together?

If there is a lounge dragon checking names and rooms, can I come in with my other half then go back to the room and send the kids down after [or first]?
I can assure you that children in the lounge doesn't seem to be an issue. When I have stayed it was clear the families were bringing in kids, as in the evening during the bar service it was difficult to find anywhere to sit because families with kids were sprawled out. This is the same problem with the J.W. Marriott in Singapore. I personally don't think children should be allowed in an executive lounge, period. If you want to call it a club lounge and also sell access then fine, but an executive lounge infers, by name, that it's for business travelers. But I digress.

There is a small stand when you enter the lounge. Sometimes it was staffed, but other times it wasn't. I've never seen anyone challenged for their name or room number because you need a special card to access the room. Your regular room card doesn't work.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.