Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Residence Inn PDX, Portland, OR [Master Thread]

Marriott Residence Inn PDX, Portland, OR [Master Thread]

Old Jul 29, 13, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA nobody, AA GLD, MrIce: UA Premier
Thumbs up Marriott Residence Inn PDX, Portland, OR [Master Thread]

Just got back from a weekend in PDX with the family -- me, my husband, and two kids, aged 5 and 11 months. We drove down from SEA and stayed at the Residence Inn at PDX.

I'm not usually excited about any hotel enough to write a review, but this would be my go-to hotel in Portland if I ever visit again, with or without the family.

1) Everything at the hotel looked new. Everything was clean and well-taken-care-of.
2) Studio room was spacious, had a full, modern kitchen with utensils and dishes; beds were comfortable; pull-out couch was perfect for the 5yo; plenty of space for the Bjorn travel crib that we use for the baby as well.
3) Super Target was located in the same parking lot
4) The Mt. Hood MAX stop is also in the same parking lot
5) Free parking (we actually brought two cars with us, because husband was continuing down to Eugene for a conference)
6) Incredibly friendly staff
7) Decent breakfast buffet was included.

I normally favor staying in city centers if I can, but since Portland is relatively small, I didn't find it a big deal driving or taking the MAX to our various tourist activities. (Tried Pricelining something the day before we left, but I couldn't get anything that would have made staying downtown a better deal, especially bringing two cars into town).

Anyway, hope this is of help to someone in the future (and no, I don't work for Marriott )
Old Jul 29, 13, 2:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UAL Lifetime Gold
I agree completely ... I have stayed at all of the Marriott properties on airport road and the RI is by far my favorite. The rates can be a bit more but if its close its my go to Hotel. I agree the staff is aways awesome.
Old Jul 29, 13, 2:21 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
You made a great choice. I stayed at the RI downtown last year and was not impressed, it was cramped and parking was $25 per night.
Old Jul 29, 13, 9:25 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
The Residence inn airport location opened about recently (1-2 yrs ago---I could be off slightly).

The big negative there is its right near the airport and there isnt much nearby in terms of restaurants. You have a shopping center (Cascade Station) that has IKEA, best buy and a few other chain stores along with a few places to eat.

the other issue (im also not up to date on the schedule) IIRC the light rail red line stops at a rather early time compared to other lines. If you are traveling down to Portland to see a concert at the Rose Garden or an NBA game the red line isnt operable after the game/concert.

I dont know what kind of deal you got to stay there but IMHO I think its rather overpriced for hotels in the area. Can find better deals at other airport hotels and you can still connect to the red line via airport shuttle.

Another option to stay in Portland and be near a light rail station. Look in North Portland near the expo center/janzen beach area where they recently built a few other Marriotts. there is a complex of FI, CY, and RI right next to each other. they do airport shuttles and they are close to light yellow line light rail station (unsure if shuttles will take you there).

I have stayed at the FI in the past because they have a MEM rate of $65/night if you have status and this rate counts towards awards.

EDIT: Guess this $65 rate is no more....its now set at $89.

I have stayed at the RI in the downtown area a couple times. I did not like the $25/night for parking. the RI primary source of people staying there are for OHSU (Why i stayed there). It is better now because they opened up the street car connection. When they open up the MAX Milwaukie line in 2015 there will have a station there. thus you could get to and from there from the airport via MAX line.

I stayed there one time---was for a sleep study--- one floor OHSU uses to conduct sleep studies and other ovenight medical testing.

Last edited by djp98374; Jul 30, 13 at 11:03 am
Old Jul 30, 13, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
icedancer, thanks for the trip report!

When I stayed in PDX earlier this year I was at the Springhill Suites not far from the RI (did a trip report on it). The RI was more expensive & you only get 5pts/$ spend vs 10 at SHS, hence my going w/ SHS.

But good to know about the RI for future.

Cheers.
Old Jul 30, 13, 10:32 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by djp98374 View Post
The Residence inn airport location opened about recently (1-2 yrs ago---I could be off slightly).

The big negative there is its right near the airport and there isnt much nearby in terms of restaurants. You have a shopping center (Cascade Station) that has IKEA, best buy and a few other chain stores along with a few places to eat.
Cascade Station has a lot of food options with 4 sit down restaurants and all are walkable from the RI:

Buffalo Wild Wings
Famous Daves BBQ
IHOP
Red Robin
Panda Express
Jersey Mikes Subs
Sushi Place (Hot Pot I think)
Taco Del Mar
Panda Express
Wow Burger (Highly Recommend...small burger chain based out of Wilsonville, OR)
Pizanos Pizza
IKEA cafe (if you really want to save some money)
Old Jul 30, 13, 11:00 am

I think djp meant there aren't a lot of good restaurants that aren't fast food or low-end chains .

Cheers.
Old Jul 30, 13, 11:00 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by apodo77 View Post
Cascade Station has a lot of food options with 4 sit down restaurants and all are walkable from the RI:

Buffalo Wild Wings
Famous Daves BBQ
IHOP
Red Robin
Panda Express
Jersey Mikes Subs
Sushi Place (Hot Pot I think)
Taco Del Mar
Panda Express
Wow Burger (Highly Recommend...small burger chain based out of Wilsonville, OR)
Pizanos Pizza
IKEA cafe (if you really want to save some money)
You forgot the McD and BK down the street....

let me clarrify---Im talking about non national chain restaurants.

Last edited by djp98374; Jul 30, 13 at 11:09 am
Old Jul 30, 13, 4:58 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by djp98374 View Post
You forgot the McD and BK down the street....

let me clarrify---Im talking about non national chain restaurants.
Technically Pizanos, Hot Pot n Sushi and Wow Burger are not national chain restaurants and all serve good food.

Also you could take the shuttle to the airport and eat at Beaches which is a local Vancouver, WA restaurant with good food.

I think the dining options for an airport area hotel are pretty decent. Wouldn't want to live off the stuff but for a night or two definitely adequate.

Last edited by apodo77; Jul 30, 13 at 6:41 pm
Old Jul 31, 13, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by apodo77 View Post
Technically Pizanos, Hot Pot n Sushi and Wow Burger are not national chain restaurants and all serve good food.

Also you could take the shuttle to the airport and eat at Beaches which is a local Vancouver, WA restaurant with good food.

I think the dining options for an airport area hotel are pretty decent. Wouldn't want to live off the stuff but for a night or two definitely adequate.
For a place people are staying for a few nights visiting the town it isnt the best area to stay in terms of restaurant options. Sure there are some you could drive to, take a shuttle to, taxi to, or get to through the MAX line.

Some of the airport hotels have too. the Radisson has a Lakeside Restaurant that is primariliy a steak/seafood place for dinner, The embassey suites has a restaurant. There are a few places at the airport since the mall/shopping area is before security.

Still...outside of a couple of places that you were referencing there isnt much in terms of options there to eat.

Its not an issue if you plan on eating in downtown and come back at night.

the area is a pain if you have just had a long flight, you are staying at an airport hotel, and you just want to get a bite to eat nearby without having to deal with driving.
Old Jun 4, 18, 8:22 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Stayed here at the start and end of a family trip to Oregon. We arrived at PDX around 1030 pm and called the hotel for shuttle pickup and waited about 10 minutes for the driver to get us. I booked a two bedroom suite and we were given one on the top floor with a nice view of the Target loading dock (but we could also see Mount Hood over the building). On the return, we were given the same room on the third floor and just had a view of the Target.

Staff was exceedingly friendly, especially Jackie who works the graveyard shift and drove us to/from PDX. My wife went next door to the Target to buy provisions for our road trip while I took the shuttle to the airport to get my rental car. The shuttle departs the property every half hour and it takes about 10 minutes to get to the terminal. I thought the variety and freshness of the breakfast options to be outstanding compared to other RI I've stayed at. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.
Old Jun 5, 18, 11:03 am

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Jun 5, 18, 11:06 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, ICH Gold, *A Gold
Always a solid choice. I stay there often as my company allows staying at an airport hotel if departure is 8AM or earlier. I was there last night. Since I always depart early, I've never had breakfast there. I alternate between the Courtyard & RI depending on price and whether or not my wife is with me. The RI is a nicer property, but usually higher cost than the CY. If by myself, I usually take the CY for 10 points/$ rather than RI 5 points/$.
Old Jun 11, 18, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
What about jet aircraft noise? I've stood in the parking lot of the IKEA which is about 1/2 mile SE of the RI, and the noise from arriving flights (or departing, depending on which way the wind is blowing) can be deafening.

Also, way earlier in the thread there was a question about the Red line schedule -- the last departure from the west side / Pioneer Square is around 11 PM, but from the east side Rose Quarter the trains run until 12:40 AM with the last PDX arrival at 1:11 AM -- you would take a Blue line from the west side to Rose Quarter and transfer to the Red to PDX. These times are weekdays, weekend will differ and it looks like Sunday service is lighter.
Old Jun 18, 18, 7:17 pm

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Silver; Choice Diamond; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match);
Originally Posted by garkster View Post
What about jet aircraft noise? I've stood in the parking lot of the IKEA which is about 1/2 mile SE of the RI, and the noise from arriving flights (or departing, depending on which way the wind is blowing) can be deafening.

Also, way earlier in the thread there was a question about the Red line schedule -- the last departure from the west side / Pioneer Square is around 11 PM, but from the east side Rose Quarter the trains run until 12:40 AM with the last PDX arrival at 1:11 AM -- you would take a Blue line from the west side to Rose Quarter and transfer to the Red to PDX. These times are weekdays, weekend will differ and it looks like Sunday service is lighter.
Hi! Lead Night Auditor for RI PDX @ Cascade Station here (I also happened to be a FTíer well before I got hired on).

There is little to no aircraft noise that penetrates the hotel walls. Every so often, youíll hear a fighter jet, but thatís the worst Iíve heard and had complaints on.

If anyone is at the hotel Sunday - Thursday and wants to say hi, Iím usually there around 10:30 pm and leave around 7/7:30 am. . Or, if youíre a late arrival or early AM checkout, thereís a good chance Iíll be assisting you on those days!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: