Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Residence Inn PDX, Portland, OR [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Residence Inn PDX, Portland, OR [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:24 pm

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
Always a solid choice. I stay there often as my company allows staying at an airport hotel if departure is 8AM or earlier. I was there last night. Since I always depart early, I've never had breakfast there. I alternate between the Courtyard & RI depending on price and whether or not my wife is with me. The RI is a nicer property, but usually higher cost than the CY. If by myself, I usually take the CY for 10 points/$ rather than RI 5 points/$.
If you ever want something to eat when you leave for an early morning departure from the RI, please let the staff know. We can go into the kitchen and grab yogurt, fruit, bagels...basically anything cold (yes, we can toast the bagels if you want) for you. We’d be more than happy to make sure you get some sustenance before you leave!
Old Jun 19, 2018, 5:39 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by garkster
What about jet aircraft noise? I've stood in the parking lot of the IKEA which is about 1/2 mile SE of the RI, and the noise from arriving flights (or departing, depending on which way the wind is blowing) can be deafening.
The morning of our first stay, the planes were arriving and departing on Runways 28L and 28R (to the West) and I heard a little noise from the departing aircraft (but it wasn't that loud at all).
Originally Posted by wsucougarchick05
If anyone is at the hotel Sunday - Thursday and wants to say hi, I’m usually there around 10:30 pm and leave around 7/7:30 am. . Or, if you’re a late arrival or early AM checkout, there’s a good chance I’ll be assisting you on those days!
Darn - Our stays were during your days off; haven't seen you since Missy's SEADos.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Hi! Lead Night Auditor for RI PDX @ Cascade Station here (I also happened to be a FT’er well before I got hired on). ... There is little to no aircraft noise that penetrates the hotel walls. Every so often, you’ll hear a fighter jet, but that’s the worst I’ve heard and had complaints on.
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
The morning of our first stay, the planes were arriving and departing on Runways 28L and 28R (to the West) and I heard a little noise from the departing aircraft (but it wasn't that loud at all).
we were there on a rainy March weekend ... south-facing room; airport was operating east (10L/10R), and it was remarkably quiet for being that close ... we live about a mile beyond the BFI 14R outer marker, so we're quite used to jet noise
Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:11 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold

Hi! Lead Night Auditor for RI PDX @ Cascade Station here (I also happened to be a FT’er well before I got hired on).

There is little to no aircraft noise that penetrates the hotel walls. Every so often, you’ll hear a fighter jet, but that’s the worst I’ve heard and had complaints on.

If anyone is at the hotel Sunday - Thursday and wants to say hi, I’m usually there around 10:30 pm and leave around 7/7:30 am. . Or, if you’re a late arrival or early AM checkout, there’s a good chance I’ll be assisting you on those days!
See you Sunday night and/or Monday Morning!
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:00 am

I was in the area a few years ago, during the summer, and just so people are aware the traffic around the airport is miserable in the afternoon! (if you are heading from the city. Everybody else is trying to get back to Vancouver)
But yea, it was a nice hotel.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Darn - Our stays were during your days off; haven't seen you since Missy's SEADos.
Darn it! Hopefully we have better luck next time!

I miss the SEADo's!
Old Jun 21, 2018, 3:30 am

See you Sunday night and/or Monday Morning!
Sounds good!
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm late to this thread, but I'll just add this: friends don't let friends eat at chain restaurants in Portland. The local food there is simply too damned amazing to waste any meals on Buffalo Wild Wings and the like.

If you need fast food, just walk 50 feet in any direction and order from the first food cart you run into. It will be very good and more memorable/satisfying than any national chain.

I don't stay on the airport side that often (I'm usually over by Beaverton), but the train can get you into downtown and Uber/Lyft are ubiquitous if you need a ride back out after the train stops. The town is compact enough that I've never had a terribly expensive Lyft....going all the way across town from Beaverton to PDX is never more than 35-40 bucks even at rush hour. Downtown to PDX would be a lot less. My wait time on a Lyft is often 2-3 minutes and rarely more than 5.

Two weeks ago I was out there and all of the downtown hotels were sold out. I get the sense that Portland's big convention season is right now when the weather is nice. I was out in the CY Beaverton. Our office is out there so that's not too awful, although I like downtown a lot better. The CY is the original style from the early 90s or whatever but was in good repair and pleasant for what it is. It's next to an Einstein Bros, so I didn't even miss the lack of elite benefits *that* much.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:42 pm

^ to all of the comments in here! I'm going to be in PDX in about a month and this thread has given me quite a few ideas. I might very well end up at the RI PDX, ditch the rental car early, and use the MAX to get around.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by KRSW
^ to all of the comments in here! I'm going to be in PDX in about a month and this thread has given me quite a few ideas. I might very well end up at the RI PDX, ditch the rental car early, and use the MAX to get around.
Yeah, I've stopped renting cars in Portland entirely. MAX where it makes sense, Lyft where it doesn't. Annoyance of trying to park a car downtown...gone!
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:51 am

Hi all,
I am heading to the RI-PDX next Saturday night. What size is the sofa bed, full? And how are the mattresses?

As a personal DP, I am renting a car starting Sunday morning because friends are coming in from Vancouver to meet up with us and we are going to head somewhere out of town, maybe the Clamackas Water Park. Anyone been there that can give an opinion on how crowded they are on Sundays in late winter?

The other days (M-W) we are probably going to do young kid friendly touristy stuff around Portland and I was planning on just taking the MAX, especially since the kids love public transportation. I tore my achilles in January and can walk with a limpy gait right now. With that in mind, are places like the Zoo, OMSI, Children's Museum and other kid-friendly places are close to MAX stops? I am going to be keeping the car through our stay due to the free parking and we are planning on driving to Seattle on Thursday for the next part of our trip.

Last edited by HIFlya; Mar 8, 2019 at 11:56 am
Old Mar 11, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by HIFlya
What size is the sofa bed, full? And how are the mattresses?
I shared a room with my dad at the RI about four years ago so I slept on the sofa bed. I think it was a full size and I don't remember complaining about it, so it couldn't have been bad.

I've now moved all my stays to Aloft or Hyatt Place (when Marriott pisses me off). RI is great, but only 5 points/$ earned.

If you get a room facing the street, there is way too much traffic noise at the Courtyard, so I quit staying there. GM was unresponsive to my concern and wouldn't guarantee a non street-facing room.
KRSW likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 6:34 pm

I shared a room with my dad at the RI about four years ago so I slept on the sofa bed. I think it was a full size and I don't remember complaining about it, so it couldn't have been bad.

I've now moved all my stays to Aloft or Hyatt Place (when Marriott pisses me off). RI is great, but only 5 points/$ earned.

If you get a room facing the street, there is way too much traffic noise at the Courtyard, so I quit staying there. GM was unresponsive to my concern and wouldn't guarantee a non street-facing room.
Thanks for all the feedback. How is the Aloft? We wanted the RI because of the free breakfasts, my wife is very keen on that especially when traveling with kids. I was debating on going to HP especially with the new promotion and the possibility of getting Explorist, but I decided burning the 100K that I already had in my Bonvoy account was a better move than proactively moving over 60K from UR, just for an outside shot at explorist.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by HIFlya
How is the Aloft?
Aloft is standard. Small, but just fine for a one night stay for me alone. Elevators can be a little slow. The only planes I heard were the F-15's that are based at PDX taking off. What it has going for it is that its close to Famous Dave's, Red Robin and others. IHOP & Buffalo Wild Wings are in the same lot as the hotel. None of that matters to me, because I only stay near the airport the night before an early morning departure. I did eat at Red Robin last month since I had a birthday coupon for a free burger.
Old Mar 12, 2019, 5:25 pm

Aloft is standard. Small, but just fine for a one night stay for me alone. Elevators can be a little slow. The only planes I heard were the F-15's that are based at PDX taking off. What it has going for it is that its close to Famous Dave's, Red Robin and others. IHOP & Buffalo Wild Wings are in the same lot as the hotel. None of that matters to me, because I only stay near the airport the night before an early morning departure. I did eat at Red Robin last month since I had a birthday coupon for a free burger.
Thanks for the tidbits, I saw that Aloft was in the same lot as the RI right? I think I saw them while taking the MAX from the airport to downtown and back.

I just have to LOL about your Red Robin mention. I was in SAN with the family when it was my birthday and I went through the trouble to go through a list of restaurants in SAN that had birthday perks. Red Robin was at the top of the list of perks I could not miss (especially since there are no RRs here in Hawaii). My kids loved it, so we will probably eat there once for dinner. My plan is breakfast in the hotel, lunch at a food pod as we transit through downtown to various locations (OMSI, Zoo, Children's Museum) and then back to the hotel for dinner. We are definitely looking at dinner at RR as my kids loved it when we went in SAN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.