Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Adagio Hotel, Autograph Collection (San Francisco, CA) [Master Thread]

Adagio Hotel, Autograph Collection (San Francisco, CA) [Master Thread]

Old Jan 3, 2018, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, SPG Platinum, National Exec. Elite
I had a really awful experience end to end with this hotel last year. IMO, it is a budget hotel masquerading as a luxury hotel "autograph collection" as they call it. Lipstick on a pig.

A few things that stood out:
1. The rooms are similar to more of the local hotels in the area. Think: Hotel Sr. Francis Drake (Kimpton) in age and weird room shapes but the Adagio has none of the charm in furnishings.
2. Service is subpar- the internet went out while I was there and the front desk was super clueless on how to fix it. They seemed too busy to help. Took about 30 min before they were able to find the number for tech support.
3. The breakfast voucher for Platinums is for a mediocre breakfast. I think they are trying to get you to upgrade to more drinks or other breakfast items since they offer so little with the voucher.

IMO, you're better off staying at any of the other Starwood properties and paying the extra $20/night.

Hope this helps! HNY!
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:39 pm

Programs: Alaska LTG, HHonors-Gld, IHG-Dia, LT MR Ti
Originally Posted by BeBrilliant
I had a really awful experience end to end with this hotel last year. IMO, it is a budget hotel masquerading as a luxury hotel "autograph collection" as they call it. Lipstick on a pig.

A few things that stood out:
1. The rooms are similar to more of the local hotels in the area. Think: Hotel Sr. Francis Drake (Kimpton) in age and weird room shapes but the Adagio has none of the charm in furnishings.
2. Service is subpar- the internet went out while I was there and the front desk was super clueless on how to fix it. They seemed too busy to help. Took about 30 min before they were able to find the number for tech support.
3. The breakfast voucher for Platinums is for a mediocre breakfast. I think they are trying to get you to upgrade to more drinks or other breakfast items since they offer so little with the voucher.

IMO, you're better off staying at any of the other Starwood properties and paying the extra $20/night.

Hope this helps! HNY!
I stayed here a couple months ago, had the same identical impressions. To me the hotel rooms feel dated. Although the bar had goos service, food & drinks. The breakfast was lacking in my opinion. Of course this hotel has no lounge.

The reason I stayed here was because it was the most “reasonably” priced hotel in SF for that night. In the futur I’ll avoid this hotel.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I cancelled our 2 nt upcoming reservation because it would have been our first Marriott stay of the new promotion and count for no bonus points.

Ended up booking one night each at 2 different Hiltons and will max out on their promo over the period.

And each Hilton per night was less than the Adagio.

Sounds like I made the right choice.
Old Aug 25, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Stay 1 night Aug 2018, Paid cash $4xx corner suit, their biggest room. Marriott Gold.

Check in process was very nice. Staff was very polite and offer free breakfast and coupons for lobby lounge.

The coffee maker didn't work. The coffee brand was not as good as Westin IMO, no tea bag offer if I remember correctly. Their biggest room was still quite small IMO.

Sleep better compare to Westin. A lot more quiet.

Won't be coming back since Marriott Gold have no breakfast nor coupon for lounge drinks the next time I visit.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Stayed here last night.
Older remodel, but comfortable and clean. It is a 2011(?) remodel. Room is large for sf, but a bit awkwardly shaped. Location is fine and getting nicer daily.
Breakfast is allegedly continental, but includes a cooked to order hot breakfast with eggs, potatoes, and meat. No surcharge for a hot breakfast as previously reported.
Staff extremely friendly. Lobby and bar are beautiful.
I'd stay here again, particularly as it is often cheaper than other marriotts.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond
Delete

Last edited by FlyingFrZ; Jan 25, 2020 at 12:11 pm
Old Jun 5, 2022, 9:31 am

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Any recent updates to this property? Considering a stay in few weeks. I am Titanium, what are current breakfast benefits?
Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 5, 2022, 9:47 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by fmkgb
Any recent updates to this property? Considering a stay in few weeks. I am Titanium, what are current breakfast benefits?
Thanks in advance.
I stayed a few weeks ago for work. Breakfast was covered by my company so I didn’t elect for the hotel breakfast and they awarded 750 extra points per day in lieu of the breakfast + the 1,000 points for the choice benefit. The hotel is under construction and the gym is currently closed along with a handful of gust room floors. My room was spacious and has a sofa and chair. The bath products are that awful pure brand, I bought my own while I was there. My shower had a handheld attachment which was nice. There’s a minibar with automatic triggers and I got charged for a bottle of vodka I didn’t take, which was refunded by the front desk. The hotel elevator does require a keycard which may be a benefit or a red flag depending on how you look at it.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
A failed experiment which I will not repeat. Needed a place to crash following a late SFO arrival before moving somewhere nicer and this was the cheapest fs Marriott option in the city. Rejected first two rooms - first was adjacent to the elevator shaft and incredibly loud, second had a malfunctioning A/C unit (and no opening windows). Third time FDA gave me the suite she should have given me the first time. It was sort-of acceptable. Spacious, but with a strong deodorizer smell and the kind of soft/sticky carpet that makes you say "I think I'll leave my shoes on." Lots of elevator noise in the living room, but the bedroom was quiet enough. Could not get the temperature over 64 degrees (had to pull extra blanket out of closet to sleep). Entire hotel feels shabby and rundown.

Platinum breakfast was fine. They call it "continental" but there's a hot option (American breakfast). I had the yogurt parfait which was acceptable. Service at breakfast was great.

Would absolutely not stay here ever again.

Originally Posted by donotblink
The hotel elevator does require a keycard which may be a benefit or a red flag depending on how you look at it.
I'm not sure why this would be a red flag, most four and five star urban properties in the US have keyed elevators. In any event, the key readers in the elevators are not functional - anyone can access guest floors.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 9:59 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
A failed experiment which I will not repeat. Needed a place to crash following a late SFO arrival before moving somewhere nicer and this was the cheapest fs Marriott option in the city. Rejected first two rooms - first was adjacent to the elevator shaft and incredibly loud, second had a malfunctioning A/C unit (and no opening windows). Third time FDA gave me the suite she should have given me the first time. It was sort-of acceptable. Spacious, but with a strong deodorizer smell and the kind of soft/sticky carpet that makes you say "I think I'll leave my shoes on." Lots of elevator noise in the living room, but the bedroom was quiet enough. Could not get the temperature over 64 degrees (had to pull extra blanket out of closet to sleep). Entire hotel feels shabby and rundown.

Platinum breakfast was fine. They call it "continental" but there's a hot option (American breakfast). I had the yogurt parfait which was acceptable. Service at breakfast was great.

Would absolutely not stay here ever again.

I'm not sure why this would be a red flag, most four and five star urban properties in the US have keyed elevators. In any event, the key readers in the elevators are not functional - anyone can access guest floors.
Oh yeah, the one with the gaudy Gaudi exterior (hey, I wonder if that's where the word came from?).

Almost stayed there once but not crazy about that part of town (pre Covid) - what's it like now?

Did you consider just staying at the airport (assuming that's where your "late" arrival arrived? And which nicer place did you move on to?
Old Mar 31, 2023, 10:14 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Almost stayed there once but not crazy about that part of town (pre Covid) - what's it like now?
About as you'd expect - a bit unpleasant (I hear yelling in the street right now) but not really unsafe. It's only three blocks off union square, but still, I wouldn't recommend the location for more than a quick overnight.

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
Did you consider just staying at the airport (assuming that's where your "late" arrival arrived? And which nicer place did you move on to?
I need to be in the city this morning before I move to the Kissel in Oakland this afternoon.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 10:42 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Kacee
A failed experiment which I will not repeat.
Thanks for the review. I was looking at this property for an upcoming stay where I wanted to be close to Union Square. Hadn’t considered this property previously, but since it appears they did a recent renovation, I was thinking of checking it out (though it sounds like the renovation didn’t help much). St. Francis it is then.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by dw
Thanks for the review. I was looking at this property for an upcoming stay where I wanted to be close to Union Square. Hadn’t considered this property previously, but since it appears they did a recent renovation, I was thinking of checking it out (though it sounds like the renovation didn’t help much). St. Francis it is then.
I think they may have replaced furniture. The carpets were pretty gross and all three of the rooms I tried had either an off or a disinfectant smell. Two of three had problems with the HVAC units (the third may have as well, I was in it only very briefly).

I would choose any of the three Union Square properties (St. Francis, Marriott US, JW) over Adagio. It's definitely worth an extra $50-75 per night (that was the spread last night).
dw and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Mar 31, 2023, 4:45 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Hotel is now showing a destination fee of $25/night starting May 1.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.