Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Full details and a FAQ are available at www.united.com/rewardsplus and https://fly-united.marriott.com/en_US/ https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/details/

From the FAQS:

If I already have Marriott Gold Elite status or higher and MileagePlus Premier Silver status or higher, do I need to register for RewardsPlus?

No. Please note that the website will accept your registration, but your status will not change. You also do not need to register for the enhanced miles and points benefits that will launch in the coming weeks.

Feb 2017 Data Point:

You can expedite a 'pending' upgrade to Silver before March 1st if you need it:

i also lost my UA status Feb 1 and was also pending UA Silver for after 2.28 once my eligibility was confirmed. i called MAR Plat CS and asked about expediting because of an upcoming flight. i called MR Platinum at 11PM. The rep said she couldn't do it, the dept that does it was closed, but that she send a message to them. she didn't know how long it would take them, but thought it would be done within 2 days. 11 hours later, at 10am the next morning, UA Silver status was showing when i logged into my UA acct online.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Old Jun 7, 2018, 9:32 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by katiedonut
Well good news, even tho Marriott CSR told me I was only getting 120k United miles cause 10% bonus code wasn't there and this was on my profile
Rewards Certificate 7 Nights at a Tier 1-3 hotel and up to 120,000 frequent flyer miles or Rapid Rewards Points - 420,000 Points
I did receive United 132k miles (10% bonus) as of today (only took 2 days for transfer)
Good because I was about to start calling this RewardsMinus...
Old Jun 8, 2018, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by katiedonut
Well good news, even tho Marriott CSR told me I was only getting 120k United miles cause 10% bonus code wasn't there and this was on my profile
Rewards Certificate 7 Nights at a Tier 1-3 hotel and up to 120,000 frequent flyer miles or Rapid Rewards Points - 420,000 Points
I did receive United 132k miles (10% bonus) as of today (only took 2 days for transfer)
I'm happy to hear that Marriott did honor the offer on their website. That's good.

They really need to train their CSRs better -- that sort of thing (refusing to honor offers and giving bad information) can be very harmful to the brand.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 1:00 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Counsellor
I'm happy to hear that Marriott did honor the offer on their website. That's good.

They really need to train their CSRs better -- that sort of thing (refusing to honor offers and giving bad information) can be very harmful to the brand.
I just called to redeem a 7 day/Cat 8 travel air package. The number listed on the webpage routed me to the Platinum line (thank God) after I pressed 0 four times. The rep knew what she was doing. She didn't say anything about not finding the right code for United. I booked the hotel for next week. But I didn't get an email confirmation as another poster did. I can't see the details of my redemption on marriott.com other than 360K points were deducted. I will report again when I receive my miles. Given the devaluation of points coming up in August, I'm going to take advantage of the travel/air package now.

One question. I linked my MP and MR accounts last year, but I didn't do it this year. Do I need to link my accounts again this year to receive the 10% bonus?
Old Jun 8, 2018, 2:34 pm

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Redemption process was a disaster. Spent almost three hours to get a competent associate who fixed the mess in my account what the previous one made. 132k miles were on account in less than 24 hrs.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by Jaenks
Redemption process was a disaster. Spent almost three hours to get a competent associate who fixed the mess in my account what the previous one made. 132k miles were on account in less than 24 hrs.
When did you first order the travel package?
Old Jun 9, 2018, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by naumank
When did you first order the travel package?
On Thursday evening then checked UA account yesterday evening and 132k miles were there.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 2:24 am

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
I ordered 3 packages last sunday. One to VS that was credited in a day or so. Two to AS that still have not been credited to AS... I wonder how long it usually takes to credit to AS....

Anyone with recent experience MR to AS

When I transferred SPG to AS it took 2 days
Old Jun 9, 2018, 3:09 am

I wonder how many of these packages are being ordered prior to 1 August just to get the miles, with no clear idea of where the lodging will be redeemed. I'd be inclined to bet there has been quite a run on Hotel + Air Packages since the announcement that 1 August will be the day the two programs become one. (And I'm sure the answer will be considered proprietary information and is unlikely ever to be known publicly.)

And I wonder how much Marriott will increase the categories after the program merger.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 11:17 am

On Thursday evening then checked UA account yesterday evening and 132k miles were there.
I also redeemed a travel package on Thursday evening and the points haven’t shown up in my UA accounts. I didn’t receive an email confirmation either. On Marriott.com, the acitivities page shows that the correct travel package was redeemed.

How did tou discover the first agent screwed up your redemption?

I wonder if I should call CS to follow up.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by naumank

I also redeemed a travel package on Thursday evening and the points haven’t shown up in my UA accounts. I didn’t receive an email confirmation either. On Marriott.com, the acitivities page shows that the correct travel package was redeemed.

How did tou discover the first agent screwed up your redemption?

I wonder if I should call CS to follow up.
I did not received confirmation but the redemption shows on my activity page in Marriott account. On Wednesday agent made only hotel reservation without redemption, so other agent could do it on Thursday. First agent on Thursday was completely clueless and redeemed only nights at first,calculating points separately as not part of package. Then I told her to cancel it and put a right code. She cancelled and made a new booking with other code. Fortunately before to hang up I checked my activities on account to find out that she had made wrong package redemption(lesser points and miles). Then she contacted supervisor, after waiting around 20 minutes the connection was cut(Skype). Then I got a competent agent, who fixed everything.
Old Jun 9, 2018, 12:56 pm

I did not received confirmation but the redemption shows on my activity page in Marriott account. On Wednesday agent made only hotel reservation without redemption, so other agent could do it on Thursday. First agent on Thursday was completely clueless and redeemed only nights at first,calculating points separately as not part of package. Then I told her to cancel it and put a right code. She cancelled and made a new booking with other code. Fortunately before to hang up I checked my activities on account to find out that she had made wrong package redemption(lesser points and miles). Then she contacted supervisor, after waiting around 20 minutes the connection was cut(Skype). Then I got a competent agent, who fixed everything.
I had a similar experience with the first agent. She appeared competent and ordered the package but when she reserved the hotel, the certificate wasn’t pulled correctly. I called back because I wanted to change the room type and the second agent spotted the issue and corrected it.

The good news is that 132K just showed up in my UA account. So it took 2 days for me. Not getting an email confirmation is not important as long as the redemption shows up correctly on the activities page.

Overall, I found the travel package a great deal especially considering the upcoming MR devaluation. The hotel I have booked would cost $3,100 for 7 nights using cash. So I get close to 2cents per point (including the value of the UA miles - I value UA miles more than 1.4 cents per mile as 132K gets me a J class flight to Asia which usually costs me $4K+). I would encourage folks with enough points to act before August.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:09 am

Do we know if platinum members will still be able to match to united silver with the rewards plus partnership post 8/1? I'm 9 nights from platinum and counting on the night credits from my two SPG Amex to push me over 50. I can easily book another meeting to push me over 50 before 8/1 though, and if that guarantees a match to United Silver then I'm willing to do it. I'd end up saving on some baggage fees on an upcoming trip so it'd be worth it.

Last edited by asot550; Jul 10, 2018 at 9:21 am
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by asot550
Do we know if platinum members will still be able to match to united silver with the rewards plus partnership post 8/1? I'm 9 nights from platinum and counting on the night credits from my two SPG Amex to push me over 50. I can easily book another meeting to push me over 50 before 8/1 though, and if that guarantees a match to United Silver then I'm willing to do it. I'd end up saving on some baggage fees on an upcoming trip so it'd be worth it.
It is rather unlikely. New Platinum is the old Gold (50+ nights level). So it is very likely, that United status will only be available to the 75+ nights tiers (called "Platinum Premier") from August onwards.
The current program gives UA status only to the 75+ nights tier.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by funkbandit
It is rather unlikely. New Platinum is the old Gold (50+ nights level). So it is very likely, that United status will only be available to the 75+ nights tiers (called "Platinum Premier") from August onwards.
The FAQ on members.marriott.com states:

Originally Posted by Marriott
There are no changes to the United RewardsPlus offering. If you have Platinum Premier Elite status, you will still be able to link and upgrade your United MileagePlus Account to Premier® Silver status. In addition, all members receive bonuses when converting points to United MileagePlus miles and on RewardsPlus Hotel + Air Packages.

Lower elites will get nothing. Whether or not a higher United Status for higher MR Elites comes back is unknown (Marriott gave old invite-only Platinum Premiers United Gold status comped in 2017 as an unpublished benefit, but reports are that MR PPs under legacy invite only terms only received UA Silver [like the 75 night tier] in 2018.)
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by funkbandit
Ah dang, somehow I missed the "premier" part on the rewardsplus page... I guess now the question is if two meetings combined with some work hotel nights are worth United silver and 5 extra SN awards...

Is there any confirmation either way on the platinum premier to united silver match post 8/1?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.