Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Full details and a FAQ are available at www.united.com/rewardsplus and https://fly-united.marriott.com/en_US/ https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/details/

From the FAQS:

If I already have Marriott Gold Elite status or higher and MileagePlus Premier Silver status or higher, do I need to register for RewardsPlus?

No. Please note that the website will accept your registration, but your status will not change. You also do not need to register for the enhanced miles and points benefits that will launch in the coming weeks.

Feb 2017 Data Point:

You can expedite a 'pending' upgrade to Silver before March 1st if you need it:

i also lost my UA status Feb 1 and was also pending UA Silver for after 2.28 once my eligibility was confirmed. i called MAR Plat CS and asked about expediting because of an upcoming flight. i called MR Platinum at 11PM. The rep said she couldn't do it, the dept that does it was closed, but that she send a message to them. she didn't know how long it would take them, but thought it would be done within 2 days. 11 hours later, at 10am the next morning, UA Silver status was showing when i logged into my UA acct online.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
Guess will have to call to find out...
The general rule I follow is, "If something good happens to you, don't call and ask about it." This is a corollary to the basic rule "When you get an answer you like, don't keep asking the question."
mooper likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Counsellor
The general rule I follow is, "If something good happens to you, don't call and ask about it." This is a corollary to the basic rule "When you get an answer you like, don't keep asking the question."
The call was not intended to find out why. I want to call and find out if it will expire after January. If that is the case, I will book all my Feb flights on AA.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The call was not intended to find out why. I want to call and find out if it will expire after January. If that is the case, I will book all my Feb flights on AA.
Are you Marriott Gold or Marriott Plat? Your profile says you're SPG Lifetime Plat, and I though that would give you Marriott Plat via Marriott-SPG account linking automatically.

And since United Silver is available to Marriott Plats, I don't see why it would expire if you're recognized as being Marriott Plat. If, on the other hand, you're only Marriott Gold, then you wouldn't get United Silver from that.

I just got new Plat materials in the mail this week, and they mention United Silver. So the benefit isn't going away this year for people who are Plat this coming year.
mooper likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Yes I am Marriott Plat from my SPG LTP. And to understand the problem some of us are encountering, please read post 900 onwards.

But here is a quick summary:
Marriott Plat rec Silver last year with this program
Same members noticed Silver was dropped beginning in January
Member reapply via website but noticed reinstatement is after end of Feb
Member called to see if reinstatement can happen earlier
This member got Silver back (not sure if it was from the call) but does not know if it is just for January
Old Jan 21, 2018, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes I am Marriott Plat from my SPG LTP. And to understand the problem some of us are encountering, please read post 900 onwards.

But here is a quick summary:
Marriott Plat rec Silver last year with this program
Same members noticed Silver was dropped beginning in January
Member reapply via website but noticed reinstatement is after end of Feb
Member called to see if reinstatement can happen earlier
This member got Silver back (not sure if it was from the call) but does not know if it is just for January
But what you don't know is how much of this simply technical year-turn glitches. Obviously, I understand that people who fly in early January want this to work every day, but my point is that someone doesn't know if it would just have sorted it out itself automatically in a week or two without any re-registration, and furthermore whether re-registration has now confused it.

You need to separate out things that are done via policy from things that happen because of technical glitches. They may have the same short-term effect, but they can have very different long-term implications.

And since I see indication that there is change of policy, and thus anyone who's got Marriott Plat for this whole year should have United Silber for this whole year. But, since in an SPG-linked case that requires one sync-between SPG and Marriott, and a seperate re-sync between Marriott and United, I can see how technical glitches early in the year could happen (that might not happen for someone who requalified for Plat on the Marriott side months ago).

Ie, maybe the system goes: Oh, this person is no longer Platinum for 2018 at Marriott, remove their United Silver status. Some days later: Oh, this person is now Platinum for 2018 at Marriott due to the SPG sync we just did, re-instate their United Silver status.
mooper likes this.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jan 21, 2018 at 11:13 am
Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, Starwood Gold, Plat AE, CO PP MC, Marriott Rewards Plat, Virgin Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
But what you don't know is how much of this simply technical year-turn glitches. Obviously, I understand that people who fly in early January want this to work every day, but my point is that someone doesn't know if it would just have sorted it out itself automatically in a week or two without any re-registration, and furthermore whether re-registration has now confused it.

You need to separate out things that are done via policy from things that happen because of technical glitches. They may have the same short-term effect, but they can have very different long-term implications.

And since I see indication that there is change of policy, and thus anyone who's got Marriott Plat for this whole year should have United Silber for this whole year. But, since in an SPG-linked case that requires one sync-between SPG and Marriott, and a seperate re-sync between Marriott and United, I can see how technical glitches early in the year could happen (that might not happen for someone who requalified for Plat on the Marriott side months ago).

Ie, maybe the system goes: Oh, this person is no longer Platinum for 2018 at Marriott, remove their United Silver status. Some days later: Oh, this person is now Platinum for 2018 at Marriott due to the SPG sync we just did, re-instate their United Silver status.
Likely already covered , but i thought my Marriott Platinum status was to be downgraded Feb 1 back to Gold. I think it used to happen March 1. System is still showing me as Platinum
Old Feb 1, 2018, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I've noticed that my digital UA Silver card no longer has an expiration date, same with my account online. My passbook card has an expired barcode. My status still works though, as I was able to select E+ seats for free on a test booking. I do have Platinum for 2018, so hopefully things will be seamless.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Feb 1, 2018 at 12:10 pm
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond
My UA account has dropped from Silver and now shows no status as of today (requalified for Plat via Starwood in 2017). Has anyone else experienced this? Thinking about giving Marriott a call tomorrow as I have a UA flight Monday morning...
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by WWads
I've noticed that my digital UA Silver card no longer has an expiration date, same with my account online. My passbook card has an expired barcode. My status still works though, as I was able to select E+ seats for free on a test booking. I do have Platinum for 2018, so hopefully things will be seamless.
As UA Silver, I thought you can only select E+ seats at t-24?
Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
As UA Silver, I thought you can only select E+ seats at t-24?
It was for a flight departing today.

My card just updated with an 01/19 expiration. This was shockingly seamless.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 11:36 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by WWads
My card just updated with an 01/19 expiration.
+1. It's been automatic every year since inception.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 2:56 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by sdsearch

It might "go" like that, but not based on my experience. What I have experienced is either total randomness or a system that unintentionally penalizes Marriott's best customers. Here are my data points.

Me: PP since 2011, Plat for several years prior to that, currently 3xLTP in nights, and approaching 3xLTP in points (within the next few months). The app currently says I'm PP, but the new website says Plat (but it doesn't say PP for anyone).

Co-worker: Plat last year (after having been PP for a couple of years). Received a thank you for your loyalty Plat status for 2018, despite only having nights for Gold.

My experience: Received (and enjoyed) United Gold last year. Dropped to member/no status as of Feb. 1. Re-enrolled in RewardsPlus online and it said Silver status would start at end of Feb. Called Marriott for assistance and was told 3-5 business days before Silver can take effect. I have a flight on Monday and am annoyed.

His experience: United Silver last year. United Silver as Feb. 1. No gap in status.

So either this is random, or his Silver status continued because he was gifted Plat status early and my Gold status dropped because of the change back to Silver for PP, and I either randomly did not get assigned Silver, or they did not assign me Silver because my status for 2018 was still in flux due to calculations needed for PP. Regardless, it looks like I'll be paying to check a bag on Monday and he will not. Not the best message to send to those who are, supposedly, the top 3% of Marriott Plats. It's bad enough that PP doesn't usually mean anything more than Plat, but when it means less...
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:55 pm

Has anyone received the Premier Silver/Gold package from United as a result of this? Luggage tags, etc. I made Platinum last year, linked my accounts and have yet to receive anything?
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by lockman21
Has anyone received the Premier Silver/Gold package from United as a result of this? Luggage tags, etc. I made Platinum last year, linked my accounts and have yet to receive anything?
You can check mystatus.united.com for the status of your Premier Silver elite package.

FYI -- they are not handing out Gold for Marriott PP members this year. Only Silver.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by edcho
FYI -- they are not handing out Gold for Marriott PP members this year. Only Silver.
And I understand they're not sending out cards to Silvers this year, either. You may be able to request one from Mileage Plus, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.