Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Full details and a FAQ are available at www.united.com/rewardsplus and https://fly-united.marriott.com/en_US/ https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/details/

From the FAQS:

If I already have Marriott Gold Elite status or higher and MileagePlus Premier Silver status or higher, do I need to register for RewardsPlus?

No. Please note that the website will accept your registration, but your status will not change. You also do not need to register for the enhanced miles and points benefits that will launch in the coming weeks.

Feb 2017 Data Point:

You can expedite a 'pending' upgrade to Silver before March 1st if you need it:

i also lost my UA status Feb 1 and was also pending UA Silver for after 2.28 once my eligibility was confirmed. i called MAR Plat CS and asked about expediting because of an upcoming flight. i called MR Platinum at 11PM. The rep said she couldn't do it, the dept that does it was closed, but that she send a message to them. she didn't know how long it would take them, but thought it would be done within 2 days. 11 hours later, at 10am the next morning, UA Silver status was showing when i logged into my UA acct online.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2013, 9:15 pm

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
I just started reading the thread that FlyinHawaiian included in the OP. Nobody on the UA forum seems upset except for those that are already MR Gold or Platinum. Clearly not a win-win situation here...unless I'm missing something.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 10:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hertz President's circle
This is great for me as I don't have UA status but have a lot of United miles. The best benefit is the no fee on changes to award flights 21 days before departure.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:50 pm

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Seems Marriott once more proved their "fast follower" status when it comes to innovation in their program. When SPG introduced Crossover-rewards with Delta it seems they were caught with their pants down and now needed to hastily implement something that somewhat matches or even exeeds SPGs offer, yet failed terribly on the execution.

What happened is the usual outcome of a China copycat. SPG gave Delta's elite-members their Gold status which is - honestly - worth very little (most valuable benefit are the 4pm checkout and free internet if you choose that) and that is slightly better than Marriott's Silver. In return Delta provided SPGs Golds and Plats with some minor benefits (fast lane, Priority Check-In) as well - after all nothing really noticable to their own Elite population yet still enticing enough to capture the otherwise non-affiliated Elites of the other program.

Marriott (and to some extend United) however gave away more than they should in an attempt to show that they could provide their Elites with something better than SPG and Delta. For Marriott, as others mentioned, this will definetly mean the clogging of executive lounges, and unless Marriott marks these United-Golds in a distinguishable way, the competition for upgrades for Golds that is now cumbersome already will be a mostly futile race.

But also for United this will mean their own Elites will fume when Marriott's Plats will increase the competition for E+-seating on the day of departure (i.e. also problematic for 1Ks during IrrOps) and have them travel in that comfy middle seat in row 46. And United's Silver Elite Base now have an even larger population of peers competing with them for the very few cases they could score a First upgrade based on their status - and now compete with travelers that are quite much more experienced making them succeed in scoring the upgrade even less likely.

Finally the allignement Marriott and United chose is somewhat wrong. Giving a United Gold the benefits of MR Gold while giving MR Plats the UA Silver status only is showing some strange disparity. While I can understand the reasoning behind this (UA Gold already comes with *Gold Benefits, and that would cost United real money if used with other *Alliance-Airlines) this makes Marriott's Elites look a less favourable on this agreement than United's.

It would have been much more comparable if Premier Platinums would have been granted Gold status, and Marriott Plats would have been extended United Gold status in exchange. That way the mutual benefits would be tied to some mid-level status on both sides that roughly provide something similar in terms of benefit. Or otherwise if you wanted to include UA-Gold, give them something like MR Silver, and give UA Silver to both MR Gold and Platinum.

But the way it is implemented now it will only cause quite some anger amongst both Elite-population - winners on both sides are hard to find, maybe I am one of these few since this will grant me access to E+ I otherwise would not have because I hold *Gold status on another *Alliance-Carrier's program, yet use United quite a bit. But while SPG and Delta's approach actually fulfills the proposition of enticing the other company's Elites to use the respective services, Marriott and United formost got their own Elite-base fuming because each fears the devaluation of the benefits they are used to. The proposition to catch customers not already using their service without these benefits seems not to be working from my point of view, however.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Jul 16, 2013, 12:04 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by djohannw
Seems Marriott once more proved their "fast follower" status when it comes to innovation in their program.

Marriott (and to some extend United) however gave away more than they should in an attempt to show that they could provide their Elites with something better than SPG and Delta. For Marriott, as others mentioned, this will definetly mean the clogging of executive lounges, and unless Marriott marks these United-Golds in a distinguishable way, the competition for upgrades for Golds that is now cumbersome already will be a mostly futile race.

But the way it is implemented now it will only cause quite some anger amongst both Elite-population - winners on both sides are hard to find, view, however.

Greetings - Dirk
^

I am one MR member that is not happy with this move. I will certainly voice my displeasure with MR on this.

It seems like MR bailed out on MR Gold members as we get nada from this agreement, while MP Gold members must be rejoicing at this move. If they had given Silver to MP Gold and 1K members and above the Gold status, this would have been less damaging. But looks like the team negotiating this at Marriott was just not bothered about their Gold members impacted by this move.
Even taking into account, those once in a bluemoon type of UA members now going to the lounge, if we look at how relatively easy (including the to be introduced Premier Money) it is to get Premier Gold, this will still lead to a dilution in the MR Gold status.
One of the worst blunder move MR has made.

Cheers!

Last edited by nldogbert; Jul 16, 2013 at 12:26 am
Old Jul 16, 2013, 6:07 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by sammyindc
I hope so.
As a United 1K - I don't get anything out of this.
As a Marriott Plat - I don't get anything out of this.

So this is not something I'm very happy about.

I see more elites which means more people in the lounges, less upgrades.
+1

They obviously ran their numbers and no how many of us 1K/PP members are out there who get barely anything out of this (yes, 12k extra miles for travel packages seem to be it).

This sucks as a 1K with more E+ seats gone during IRROPS.

This sucks as a PP with more CL space taken.

Just, all around, not done as well (IMHO) as the SPG/DL crossover. Too much given away by both United and Marriott at the expense of those who were high elites in both programs.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 6:48 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
This is great news - thanks Marriott & UA! As a Marriott Plat with no current UA status, I'll now have UA Silver, and despite it's relatively small benefits, it will be enough to get me to take a couple more UA flights I wouldn't have otherwise. I'm also going to be more inclined to choose UA for my miles when doing Marriott Travel Package redemptions. Those complaining that they aren't receiving status benefits as a result of the partnership should also look to the other point-conversion and bonus benefits. They aren't spectacular, but are something.

Originally Posted by brobab
Thank You Marriott Concierge - unfortunately the sign up link does not seem to be working.
Originally Posted by marion10
The marriott link does not work.
Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer
With regards to the link, I could not get it to work on Chrome, but it worked on IE.
The link Marriott Concierge posted has an errant "/" at the end of the URL. Click the link, delete the "/" at the end, and the page will load.

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
I have to order 1 travel package by next week (for a stay 7 days from then) and have 4-5 MORE to order in August. That will mean HUGE bonuses for me!!!
Yup, I love this too. 120K MRPs will now convert to 132K UA via the right Travel Packages. Too bad UA doesn't do the unrelated conversion bonus offers US and DL have been so fond of... if they did, you could stack the 50%-75% bonus often seen with those on top of this and truly make out like a bandit!

Originally Posted by astroflyer
Hey PhillyPhlyer. I'm still a bit confused on how these travel packages work. Can you point me towards a link that explains them?
Click the link in my sig below to view a thread I maintain about Marriott. There's a section in there that summarizes the Travel Package redemptions and provides a couple links to more info.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 6:59 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Does anyone know if they are matching "challenges"?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 7:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by DawgmanOH
+1

They obviously ran their numbers and no how many of us 1K/PP members are out there who get barely anything out of this (yes, 12k extra miles for travel packages seem to be it).

This sucks as a 1K with more E+ seats gone during IRROPS.

This sucks as a PP with more CL space taken.

Just, all around, not done as well (IMHO) as the SPG/DL crossover. Too much given away by both United and Marriott at the expense of those who were high elites in both programs.
Statistically speaking, odds are incredibly remote that you'll lose an E+ seat because of this. Too many very long-odds events would have to all line up to make that happen...

I think odds are also low that you'll lose anything of real value at a hotel, mainly because Marriott doesn't upgrade Golds. A little CL space...that's it.

I'm a "regular" Marriott Gold (some years Plat) and I'm not too worried about it.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 7:10 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pinniped
Statistically speaking, odds are incredibly remote that you'll lose an E+ seat because of this. Too many very long-odds events would have to all line up to make that happen...
Not really, all it takes is the seldom event of snow in ORD that messes up (mostly) the domestic schedule, and United giving preference to domestic flights carrying connecting international customers. On such a day (and we have seen quite a few of them this winter) I bet more than one UA-Elite above Silver will go in E-...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Jul 16, 2013, 7:12 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by djohannw
Not really, all it takes is the seldom event of snow in ORD that messes up (mostly) the domestic schedule, and United giving preference to domestic flights carrying connecting international customers. On such a day (and we have seen quite a few of them this winter) I bet more than one UA-Elite above Silver will go in E-...

Greetings - Dirk
You're more likely to lose out on upgrades, UA silvers rebooked into Y go above 1K's on the upgrade list.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Don't know, but would only help you for 6 months unless you meet the regular criteria.

Cheers.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 7:55 am

Programs: DL GM, MR Platinum, National EC
Originally Posted by nldogbert

I am one MR member that is not happy with this move. I will certainly voice my displeasure with MR on this.
^

I'm also unhappy with this change. It does nothing but dilute the benefits we already receive. Clearly a move to raise revenue from non-elites.

What's the best way to go about voicing my displeasure?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:21 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by tryanjordan
^

I'm also unhappy with this change. It does nothing but dilute the benefits we already receive.
The various point conversion and redemption bonuses apply to you.

If your status with either Marriott or UA falls, you benefit.

"Dilution" occurs only if you presume that the incremental profits the deal creates do nothing in terms of perks and quality of service the companies provide.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:20 am

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
In the T&C, "challenges" are specifically excluded. On both sides.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 11:59 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Saw this on Insiders:

From the FAQS:

If I already have Marriott Gold Elite status or higher and MileagePlus Premier Silver status or higher, do I need to register for RewardsPlus?

No. Please note that the website will accept your registration, but your status will not change. You also do not need to register for the enhanced miles and points benefits that will launch in the coming weeks.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.