Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Full details and a FAQ are available at www.united.com/rewardsplus and https://fly-united.marriott.com/en_US/ https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/details/

From the FAQS:

If I already have Marriott Gold Elite status or higher and MileagePlus Premier Silver status or higher, do I need to register for RewardsPlus?

No. Please note that the website will accept your registration, but your status will not change. You also do not need to register for the enhanced miles and points benefits that will launch in the coming weeks.

Feb 2017 Data Point:

You can expedite a 'pending' upgrade to Silver before March 1st if you need it:

i also lost my UA status Feb 1 and was also pending UA Silver for after 2.28 once my eligibility was confirmed. i called MAR Plat CS and asked about expediting because of an upcoming flight. i called MR Platinum at 11PM. The rep said she couldn't do it, the dept that does it was closed, but that she send a message to them. she didn't know how long it would take them, but thought it would be done within 2 days. 11 hours later, at 10am the next morning, UA Silver status was showing when i logged into my UA acct online.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have not linked my Marriott and UA account since became PPE because we hardly fly UA.

However this Oct we have a UA IAH-FLL in Y being the last segment of an Aeroplan RTW award in J. So I think I should link my accounts so we would get checked bag free in case we need it.

Is it you just go to Reward Plus to start the process?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
I have not linked my Marriott and UA account since became PPE because we hardly fly UA.

However this Oct we have a UA IAH-FLL in Y being the last segment of an Aeroplan RTW award in J. So I think I should link my accounts so we would get checked bag free in case we need it.

Is it you just go to Reward Plus to start the process?
Effective September 28, 2019 additional benefits are added for Mileage Plus Silver and higher. Check out MileagePlus Updates
Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:41 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by Counsellor
Effective September 28, 2019 additional benefits are added for Mileage Plus Silver and higher. Check out MileagePlus Updates
Rather 2018 & those are minimal changes.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 6:56 am

Originally Posted by escapefromphl

Rather 2018 & those are minimal changes.
Thanks for catching the typo. The change for free checked baggage, particularly for Silvers, can be helpful.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:24 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Interesting. Apparently the threshold to get the match with United was raised. I was/am Platinum but United is no longer giving me Silver status. When I tried to register I received the following message: "You must be a Platinum Premier Elite member or above to qualify for RewardsPlus." I got the match last year as a Plat, not a PPE. Oh well, it was nice.

Here are some details: https://awardwallet.com/blog/rewards...d-mileageplus/
Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by dwcatty
Interesting. Apparently the threshold to get the match with United was raised. I was/am Platinum but United is no longer giving me Silver status. When I tried to register I received the following message: "You must be a Platinum Premier Elite member or above to qualify for RewardsPlus." I got the match last year as a Plat, not a PPE. Oh well, it was nice.

Here are some details: https://awardwallet.com/blog/rewards...d-mileageplus/
The bar was not raised, Marriott just renamed the levels. It's still the 75 night level which gives you United Silver status.
This use to be called Platinum and then Platinum Premier and is now called Titanium.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:49 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy LT Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time... US Silver, AA Gold
Was the bar lowered then last year, when I qualified for United Silver through being a Marriott Platinum? I've never been at the 75 night level, only the 50 night level.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:42 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dwcatty
Was the bar lowered then last year, when I qualified for United Silver through being a Marriott Platinum? I've never been at the 75 night level, only the 50 night level.
There was a brief hiccup during a couple days last year when the Marriott level names changed when you could register for RewardsPlus by being a (50) platinum elite member, before the RewardsPlus site updated site to only allow (75) platinum premier members to sign up. It's possible that you were able to register during this brief period last year
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:24 pm

Programs: United Global Services
Looks like they just demoted those who got Platinum last year through United to Gold
Old Mar 5, 2019, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by roseallday
Looks like they just demoted those who got Platinum last year through United to Gold
where you expecting otherwise?
cfischer and RTWFF like this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Yup just saw my new gold status. Without a promo and with my downgrade I CX my two upcoming Marriott stays and changed to Hyatt and Hilton.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
See post 1041 above. It was a limited time elevation. Basically, this reverts back to the pre-August mapping to Gold. The difference is Bonvoy Gold is diluted compared to pre August MR Gold.

As a valued United MileagePlus Premier member who is currently receiving complimentary Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status through RewardsPlus, youll be elevated to Platinum Elite status in August 2018 through January 2019, as a result of Marriott Rewards, The Ritz-Carlton Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) becoming one Loyalty Program.* Platinum Elite benefits will include lounge access (restrictions apply), 50% points bonus and more.
***Eligible MileagePlus members can register for complimentary Gold Elite status at united.com/rewardsplus. MileagePlus members, registered in RewardsPlus prior to August 2018 and currently enjoying Marriott Rewards Gold Elite status, will receive the updated Platinum Elite status with Rewards and SPG through January 2019. In February 2019, all registered MileagePlus members who requalify for RewardsPlus for the next program year will receive the updated Gold Elite status benefits for a full calendar year with Rewards and SPG. To learn more about the updated Gold Elite status benefits, visit members.marriott.com.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by rustykettel
See post 1041 above. It was a limited time elevation. Basically, this reverts back to the pre-August mapping to Gold. The difference is Bonvoy Gold is diluted compared to pre August MR Gold.
I wouldn't say that Bonvoy Gold is a diluted MR Gold. The level that Bonvoy Gold is today didn't exist in the old MR program. There was no 25-49 nights elite tier. Bonvoy Gold is comparable to SPG Gold. It's just the name that has people confused sometimes.
Counsellor and ryw like this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:12 pm

Programs: MR PP, UA Silver, SW A-List, HH Diamond
Anyone else lose their UA Silver status received through being a Titanium today?

I did 78 nights in 2018 to get Titanium for 2019. Signed up at the RewardsPlus Marriott site in early February. UA status upgraded within 72 hours... then I book flight for 3/7 (which is tomorrow).

So today I'm about to check in to my flight tomorrow, and see I cannot select economy plus without paying $$. Think that's weird. Then notice I'm listed as a general member.

Go back to MR RewardPlus site - it says I've already signed up.

Arg, not even sure which whose IT is screwed up here, but I'm guessing it's Marriott's.

This is going to cost me $200 for bags and I am not even sure it's worth my time today calling around because I have a ton of stuff to do, that is if I even knew who to call...

Last edited by goldenbear; Mar 6, 2019 at 12:22 pm
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: M/R AMBASSADOR/LT/TIT/UASILVER/AAGOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaunts
Does this mean that we no longer have to link the accounts each year and that it is automatic now?

Yesterday I was United Silver and today dropped to a General Member. I went back to Bonvoy and linked accounts again. We'll see how long it takes to show United Silver again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.