FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1484980-marriott-rewards-united-mileageplus-rewardsplus-partnership.html)

SkiAdcock Jul 15, 2013 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by bdschobel (Post 21101000)
I registered for this, too, both directions: through United and Marriott. I can't see how it helps me, but it probably can't hurt, either. I'm lifetime Plat with Marriott and lifetime Gold with United, so I don't seem to benefit, but who knows? There may be some advantages hidden in the terms and conditions somewhere.

Interestingly, each company's website knew my account number with the other.

Bruce

Knowing Marriott & UA's IT, it will drop you to Marriott Gold & United Silver ;) :p :D

Cheers.

SkiAdcock Jul 15, 2013 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by PebbleBeach (Post 21099480)
I agree with all the Marriott elites who will get hosed by dilution. However:

5. Complimentary status offerings are valid through January 31, 2014.

Does this mean being a MR Gold expires or you can only register through this date?

Hopefully just short term pain for those who truly earned it.

That's a very good question!

Cheers.

LilZeppelin Jul 15, 2013 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock (Post 21101971)
That's a very good question!

Cheers.

Apparently, they are afraid to commit, but hopefully this will be the feature again next year. See points 9-10 in FAQ:
" Details on RewardsPlus in 2014 will be released at a later time."
Knowing UA's propensity to dilute benefits, it would not be surprising if this benefit would only be for Platinums and 1Ks or something in future.

dunwu Jul 15, 2013 3:40 pm

It seems unfair for Marriott elite. But as long as gold status has been given for free via credit card spending, Marriott doesn't have many wagers when bartering with UA.

Also, keep in mind, United gold is also star alliance gold. I don't think UA is willing to pay additional $$$ to other *Alliance partners with this partnership.

380Flyer Jul 15, 2013 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by bdschobel (Post 21099182)
This is bizarre. Marriott Plats and above get complimentary Silver status with United, which is worth next to nothing. And United Golds and above get complimentary Gold status with Marriott? Doesn't seem quite balanced, does it?

Bruce

I totally agree that MR Platinum members have gotten a raw deal with this programme.

I suggest Marriott goes back to United with an offer for its Platinum to get Premier Gold in UA's programme to be fair.

Until this is done, as a loyal MR Platinum, I will be boycotting Marriott fir my future stays and will discourage my colleagues from staying at Marriott. Trust me, I'm an influential travel decision maker.

Marriott, hope you are listening!

380Flyer Jul 15, 2013 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by LilZeppelin (Post 21101993)
Apparently, they are afraid to commit, but hopefully this will be the feature again next year. See points 9-10 in FAQ:
" Details on RewardsPlus in 2014 will be released at a later time."
Knowing UA's propensity to dilute benefits, it would not be surprising if this benefit would only be for Platinums and 1Ks or something in future.

I do hope that Gold MR will only be available to UA 1K; and
UA Premier Gold will only be available to MR Platinum members from 2014.

Only if the above happens will I only be satisfied with the programme. At the way it's structured at the moment, I am boycotting Marriott unless they can give me assurance of what I've mentioned above.

Await your feedback Marriott on this issue.

I am not happy with the current structure of this new programme.

TallestHotelInJapan Jul 15, 2013 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by ymcarthur2 (Post 21098652)
This is very disappointing and unfair---after all the years and money I've spent to get my status.

Thumbs down for Marriott! This is indeed very unfair! Why did we spend so much money to maintain our gold status?

BostonFlyer1624 Jul 15, 2013 4:19 pm

UA Silver? Thanks for nothing.

SkiAdcock Jul 15, 2013 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by 380Flyer (Post 21102045)
I totally agree that MR Platinum members have gotten a raw deal with this programme.

I suggest Marriott goes back to United with an offer for its Platinum to get Premier Gold in UA's programme to be fair.

Until this is done, as a loyal MR Platinum, I will be boycotting Marriott fir my future stays and will discourage my colleagues from staying at Marriott. Trust me, I'm an influential travel decision maker.

Well, they're only going to listen if you contact them directly vs. posting on FT ;)

Right now the UA folk are happy.

BTW - while the T&C say 01/31/14, there is a line somewhere (saw it on the multi-page thread in the UA forum) that as long as the folk signing up in their original programs (Marriott or UA) maintain that status, the promo they're signing up for will continue each year.

Cheers.

aaupgrade Jul 15, 2013 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624 (Post 21102242)
UA Silver? Thanks for nothing.

Not true. You'll get more crowded Marriott Concierge Lounges. ;)

boss315 Jul 15, 2013 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by sammyindc (Post 21098825)
I hope so.
As a United 1K - I don't get anything out of this.
As a Marriott Plat - I don't get anything out of this.

So this is not something I'm very happy about.

I see more elites which means more people in the lounges, less upgrades.

+1 X 1K!

ucbruins Jul 15, 2013 5:16 pm

I'm a United Premeir Silver and Marriott Platinum. I'm getting hosed from both ends. I have to compete with more people getting economy plus seating at check-in and competing with more people for room upgrades. Great way to stick it to loyal members. :td:

trekwars2000 Jul 15, 2013 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by boss315 (Post 21102492)
+1 X 1K!

As a Marriott Plat and UA 1K I disagree. When redeeming travel packages we get 12K more UA miles. That is something.

escapefromphl Jul 15, 2013 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by 380Flyer (Post 21102045)

Yup there needs to be something in it for those who actually put in 75 nights, like extra miles or suite upgrades. With this change there is no compelling reason to put a significant number of nights with Marriott.

Texas Booster Jul 15, 2013 5:24 pm

A MP number popped up on the registration page. I didn't recognize it, since I do my best to never fly CO or UA. Being in a hurry, I clicked on it anyway.

Turns out that the number was NOT from my old CO days. I called 855-825-6327, which gave me a very good rep for United MP. She said that UA purged their files of folks like me (just like most airlines). She cannot see any indication that I signed up, and has no access to MR information. We did create a new MP account.

On hold with MR Cust Serv to see their side of the story. Perhaps that is another benefit - longer hold times when calling in to fix issues.

Turns out that MR at least knows about this promo but they do not have any numbers in in the screen showing the member profile.

Their advice is to wait 20 days for UA to merge our member profiles, then call back and ensure that my profile is correct.