Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Full details and a FAQ are available at www.united.com/rewardsplus and https://fly-united.marriott.com/en_US/ https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/details/

From the FAQS:

If I already have Marriott Gold Elite status or higher and MileagePlus Premier Silver status or higher, do I need to register for RewardsPlus?

No. Please note that the website will accept your registration, but your status will not change. You also do not need to register for the enhanced miles and points benefits that will launch in the coming weeks.

Feb 2017 Data Point:

You can expedite a 'pending' upgrade to Silver before March 1st if you need it:

i also lost my UA status Feb 1 and was also pending UA Silver for after 2.28 once my eligibility was confirmed. i called MAR Plat CS and asked about expediting because of an upcoming flight. i called MR Platinum at 11PM. The rep said she couldn't do it, the dept that does it was closed, but that she send a message to them. she didn't know how long it would take them, but thought it would be done within 2 days. 11 hours later, at 10am the next morning, UA Silver status was showing when i logged into my UA acct online.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
I'm going to guess that United might not be delighted with this development.

Regards
Old Sep 29, 2016, 12:33 pm

points just posted today. I transferred them late in the evening whereas for the travel packages I booked over the phone in the afternoon. Looks like its a full 24 hours to process for those that are interested.

thanks!
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
I'm a new Rewards Plus member, using my Marriott status to get the United Silver status. Can I transfer points in the other direction from United to Marriott?
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by MsEverywhere
I'm a new Rewards Plus member, using my Marriott status to get the United Silver status. Can I transfer points in the other direction from United to Marriott?
Yes 1:1
Old Oct 2, 2016, 8:08 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by scubadu

Regards
Well, if you've signed up for it now, then it's not gonna do much to their bottom line as it is only good through Jan 2017.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond

Regards
Actually I think the opposite. UA Silver is basically the same benefits as having a CC plus E+ at T-24.

I tend to be a free agent but the E+ possibility at check-in is enough to sway me to UA when pricing and number of stops is equal among the 3 legacies.

That's what they were aiming for in this program and I think having additional folks who maybe were going DL because of the SPG tie-up is a plus.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by uxb
Well, if you've signed up for it now, then it's not gonna do much to their bottom line as it is only good through Jan 2017.
So the relationship between Marriott and United was just a one time, short term thing that expires in January? That seems rather odd.

Just to confirm, this isn't an ongoing relationship like SPG/Delta? If true, you are of course correct, but I guess I assume if one was still Marriott Platinum next year, your status would be "re-upped"

Regards
Old Oct 2, 2016, 8:32 am
uxb

So the relationship between Marriott and United was just a one time, short term thing that expires in January? That seems rather odd.

Just to confirm, this isn't an ongoing relationship like SPG/Delta? If true, you are of course correct, but I guess I assume if one was still Marriott Platinum next year, your status would be "re-upped"

Regards
No. The MARRIOTT-UNITED relationship endures. However, if you read the terms and conditions, your ability to upgrade your status is a one-off, and you must meet the requirements to keep UA Silver in subsequent years.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 8:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Regards
Technically it's year-to-year, but up to now it's always been extended each year. My guess is it will be for 2017 as well. 2018 remains to be seen, as we don't know if UA or DL will continue as airline of choice.

Cheers.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by uxb
No. The MARRIOTT-UNITED relationship endures. However, if you read the terms and conditions, your ability to upgrade your status is a one-off, and you must meet the requirements to keep UA silver in subsequent years.
Ah, got it thank you for clarifying.

My wife has never taken advantage of this, wonder if would make sense to invoke this benefit after the beginning of the year in order to maximize the time frame it's valid for.

Regards
Old Oct 2, 2016, 8:49 am
uxb

My wife has never taken advantage of this, wonder if would make sense to invoke this benefit after the beginning of the year in order to maximize the time frame it's valid for.

Regards
I would invoke it when you actually plan to use it. The process takes 24-48 hours to complete.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 7:12 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium

Regards
There is no harm in linking and getting the status now....barring one exception: If she wants to do a status challenge for something higher than Silver.

If she's in the UA system with any Premier level, that could prevent her from qualifying for a challenge....most T&C for challenges/matches exclude all current Premier members and a carve out is not made for those who got their status from RewardsPlus.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 8:22 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by TommyC80
There is no harm in linking and getting the status now....barring one exception: If she wants to do a status challenge for something higher than Silver.

If she's in the UA system with any Premier level, that could prevent her from qualifying for a challenge....most T&C for challenges/matches exclude all current Premier members and a carve out is not made for those who got their status from RewardsPlus.
Wrong. The harm is that it expires end of Jan 2017. Read the terms and conditions.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 8:31 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by uxb
Wrong. The harm is that it expires end of Jan 2017. Read the terms and conditions.
Give it a rest. The United status has been renewed every year since inception of RewardsPlus. There is no reason to expect it not to happen again, especially since we are now in October and no communication has been made either way.

If you think they are going to yank RewardsPlus in the midst of the SPG/MR merger then I have a bridge to sell you.

Last edited by TommyC80; Oct 2, 2016 at 8:46 pm
Old Oct 2, 2016, 8:52 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by TommyC80
Give it a rest. The United status has been renewed every year since inception of RewardsPlus. There is no reason to expect it not to happen again, especially since we are now in October and no communication has been made either way.

If you think they are going to yank RewardsPlus in the midst of the SPG/MR merger then I have a bridge to sell you.
You should try reading before responding. I never said RewardPlus was being yanked. I said an individual's match is only good until the following year w/ NO RE-UP. The T+CS state that a person would have to QUALIFY to continue getting Silver status or higher. If you had read the terms and conditions then you wouldn't keep repeating the same incorrect information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.