FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1484980-marriott-rewards-united-mileageplus-rewardsplus-partnership.html)

colpuck Jul 15, 2013 8:29 am

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership Announced

As a UA 1k I'm going to register. However, as a Hilton diamond, I'm not thy interested in Marriott gold.

VickiSoCal Jul 15, 2013 8:30 am

As a family that flies only American and stays at Marriott all I can say is this sucks.

frequentjohn Jul 15, 2013 8:40 am

Originally Posted by CJKatl (Post 21099300)
OT: I must have missed this...Since I don't stay at Starwood Hotels, I didn't sign up for the DL/*W cross promotion. Are you telling me if I do, I will be getting *W points in addition to the DL points, just for doing what I already do? Gosh, I feel as though I've robbed myself. I've likely done 50 flights since the announcement. :mad:

Yes as long as you are Starwood Gold or Platinum, you earn one Starwood point for every dollar spent. I even earned Starwood points for an United IRROP where they put me on a Delta flight...

PebbleBeach Jul 15, 2013 8:47 am

I agree with all the Marriott elites who will get hosed by dilution. However:

5. Complimentary status offerings are valid through January 31, 2014.

Does this mean being a MR Gold expires or you can only register through this date?

Hopefully just short term pain for those who truly earned it.

PhillyPhlyer40 Jul 15, 2013 8:52 am

WOW...big plus for me!

Ok-so this is HUGE for me!!!

I have to order 1 travel package by next week (for a stay 7 days from then) and have 4-5 MORE to order in August. That will mean HUGE bonuses for me!!!

I have orderered ~15 or so of these...this will DEFINATELY mean more business to MR. ^

I was evaluating my 2013 remaining business..was thinking of adding back in Hyatt (due to a stay in FRA/Mainz next year) but this stopped it. Now, if they added one point/$ of UA spend I would DUMP SPG!!!

Well done Marriott...well done. (EVEN if I have to pay for +2,3,4,5 in lounge) :D

CO FF Jul 15, 2013 8:53 am

So Starwood + Delta, and Marriott + United. The only remaining question is whether Hilton will allow itself to be linked to AA...

mindrisa Jul 15, 2013 8:55 am

Originally Posted by PebbleBeach (Post 21099480)
I agree with all the Marriott elites who will get hosed by dilution. However:

5. Complimentary status offerings are valid through January 31, 2014.

Does this mean being a MR Gold expires or you can only register through this date?

Hopefully just short term pain for those who truly earned it.

Great question... wonder if this is a test run and they will extend it if it works for both parties?

CJKatl Jul 15, 2013 9:23 am

Originally Posted by frequentjohn (Post 21099444)
Yes as long as you are Starwood Gold or Platinum, you earn one Starwood point for every dollar spent. I even earned Starwood points for an United IRROP where they put me on a Delta flight...

Ahhh, there's the fly in the ointment. I primarily stay at Marriotts and use Hilton as my back-up. Oh well...

GeorgiaDawg93 Jul 15, 2013 9:39 am

Total and complete devaluation and dilution for Marriott Rewards elite members! I'm very close to Marriott Lifetime Gold! Gonna get that, then dump MR! Say hello to overcrowded lounges!!

CPRich Jul 15, 2013 9:50 am

Excellent. I thought I had received my last baggage fee waiver on UA with my US lifetime Silver/*A Silver status. Now I have UA Silver via Marriott lifetime PLT, Delta status-equivalent with my (soon to be lifetime) SPG PLT, and will have AA lifetime with the combination of USAir miles. I'm sitting pretty. So (subject to change), lifetime status with three airlines and two hotel chains.

CPRich Jul 15, 2013 10:01 am

I registered via the Marriott link. At first, it asked me to log in, after which it took me to the general Marriott home screen.

So I clicked the link again. Now that my credentials were cached/I was logged in, it took me to the registration screen. I must have had my UA number on file somewhere, because it instantly linked the two and registered me.

LetsGoToo Jul 15, 2013 10:25 am

Originally Posted by CPRich (Post 21099880)
I registered via the Marriott link. At first, it asked me to log in, after which it took me to the general Marriott home screen.

So I clicked the link again. Now that my credentials were cached/I was logged in, it took me to the registration screen. I must have had my UA number on file somewhere, because it instantly linked the two and registered me.

I was finally able to register, too. It also had my UA number, but I'm pretty sure that I never provided it to Marriott or vice versa.

siankaan1 Jul 15, 2013 10:34 am

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal (Post 21099382)
As a family that flies only American and stays at Marriott all I can say is this sucks.

We're the same, but it looks like at least I now have a reason to get a UA-branded credit card and transfer the bonus miles to MR at 1:1 (up to 50K).

pinniped Jul 15, 2013 10:47 am

Wow...this one-ups the SPG/DL partnership in a big way by offering the real statuses as part of the crossover. (SPG/DL stop short of that, instead offering some - but not all - of the benefits to the crossover people.)

Your move, HH and AA.

astroflyer Jul 15, 2013 11:09 am

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40 (Post 21099507)
Ok-so this is HUGE for me!!!

I have to order 1 travel package by next week (for a stay 7 days from then) and have 4-5 MORE to order in August. That will mean HUGE bonuses for me!!!

I have orderered ~15 or so of these...this will DEFINATELY mean more business to MR. ^

I was evaluating my 2013 remaining business..was thinking of adding back in Hyatt (due to a stay in FRA/Mainz next year) but this stopped it. Now, if they added one point/$ of UA spend I would DUMP SPG!!!

Well done Marriott...well done. (EVEN if I have to pay for +2,3,4,5 in lounge) :D

Hey PhillyPhlyer. I'm still a bit confused on how these travel packages work. Can you point me towards a link that explains them?