Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Full details and a FAQ are available at www.united.com/rewardsplus and https://fly-united.marriott.com/en_US/ https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/details/

From the FAQS:

If I already have Marriott Gold Elite status or higher and MileagePlus Premier Silver status or higher, do I need to register for RewardsPlus?

No. Please note that the website will accept your registration, but your status will not change. You also do not need to register for the enhanced miles and points benefits that will launch in the coming weeks.

Feb 2017 Data Point:

You can expedite a 'pending' upgrade to Silver before March 1st if you need it:

i also lost my UA status Feb 1 and was also pending UA Silver for after 2.28 once my eligibility was confirmed. i called MAR Plat CS and asked about expediting because of an upcoming flight. i called MR Platinum at 11PM. The rep said she couldn't do it, the dept that does it was closed, but that she send a message to them. she didn't know how long it would take them, but thought it would be done within 2 days. 11 hours later, at 10am the next morning, UA Silver status was showing when i logged into my UA acct online.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Old Jul 24, 2013, 9:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer
And for completeness, here's the part of the T&Cs that answers your question:

And yes, the Signature CC would provide you with the first 15 nights on your journey to 75 (plus 1 night per $3'000 spent on the card).

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Still might be worth calling Marriott re: Platinum challenge. Let's say he gets enrolled & meets the 9 days in 9 days. How long would the status be good for?

Cheers.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So here's the response to the extreme dissatisfaction over on Insiders form the Marriott rep:

We’ve been following your conversation and noting your dissatisfaction. Because you didn’t get anything out of the offer, defending it or providing the business case for why it was launched is moot.
I read that as- We know there's little to no benefit here for current Marriott Golds and above. We don't care. We did this to attract United flyers to Marriott.

I get that. Last year the husband got Gold at Hilton via his American status, which we enjoyed when staying at Hiltons. But then, don't announce it as an exciting benefit for Marriott members.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 4:12 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Rather enjoyed my 4 nights at Renaissance Europa Fira Barcelona this week in an upgraded room with 24 euro ($32) breakfast buffet included. Would not have had either of those without UA offering Marriott Gold to me as a 1MM lifetime Gold. Although I'm not happy with the dilution of 1MM benefits, the Marriott perk is one I like and I applaud UA for offering it to those with qualifying lifetime status. Hotel photos for those that want a look:
http://tom911.smugmug.com/Hotels/Mar...2348&k=VWB7vqF

Tom in Lisbon
Old Aug 2, 2013, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Well, getting ready to cross the 50 night threshold again this year. Doesn't really give a sense of accomplishment any more. As a United 1K, I could attain the same status without setting foot in a Marriott.

I don't begrudge those that are benefiting from the program, but I do have a sense of being left out.

I guess I will continue to plug away staying at Marriott just for the point accumulation....I don't see the value in diluting point earns with backup hotel program.
Old Aug 3, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Well, getting ready to cross the 50 night threshold again this year. Doesn't really give a sense of accomplishment any more. As a United 1K, I could attain the same status without setting foot in a Marriott.

I don't begrudge those that are benefiting from the program, but I do have a sense of being left out.

I guess I will continue to plug away staying at Marriott just for the point accumulation....I don't see the value in diluting point earns with backup hotel program.
+1

(56 nights now, but I feel your "pain")
Old Aug 3, 2013, 11:34 pm

Programs: Marriott LTPP
Which to book... AC or United?

I want to book a ff seat. I have 100K ff miles on AP and no ff miles on United MP. I now have silver elite status on United as a result of my Marriott Plat status. The flights I want to book are all on United metal out of YYZ. If I book through AP using my ff miles, how do I go about using my United silver elite upgrades with an AP booking?
Old Aug 4, 2013, 12:03 am

Programs: Ritz/Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, USAir Chairman, Aegean Gold
Originally Posted by Ord Liza
I can confirm this: I recently got silver with United, due to being Marriott Platinum through a challenge, prior to completing the platinum challenge.
I've never heard of united giving automatic silver status to Marriott platinum members. Can you give us more information about it?
Old Aug 4, 2013, 12:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
read and learn ............
http://www.united.com/rewardsplus
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...announced.html

Originally Posted by AM6449
I've never heard of united giving automatic silver status to Marriott platinum members. Can you give us more information about it?
Old Aug 4, 2013, 12:35 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
your US silver upgrades are at the gate, if any!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Safti
I want to book a ff seat. I have 100K ff miles on AP and no ff miles on United MP. I now have silver elite status on United as a result of my Marriott Plat status. The flights I want to book are all on United metal out of YYZ. If I book through AP using my ff miles, how do I go about using my United silver elite upgrades with an AP booking?
Old Aug 4, 2013, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
your US silver upgrades are at the gate, if any!!!!!!!!
Upgrades for Silvers for a paid booking with an economy seat being booked are done at the gate. Depending on routing & # of elites, may or may not happen (usually not). Also, E+ is available to Silvers at check-in, which is why doing on-line check-in 24hours in advance is a good idea. Silvers will get free bag check.

If the OP is doing an award booking, s/he can book a biz class ticket ticket if the 100,000 miles covers it, no upgrade involved. If s/he is doing a paid ticket & wants to upgrade using miles, I think there are some Star Alliance partners where it can be done. However, for definitive info re: which & how to do it, I'd recommend going to either UA forum or the AP forum to learn how to do so.

Cheers.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 11:17 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Alaska Gold 75K, LATAM Black
Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership Announced

Is the discounted Marriott > MP conversion already in affect, I've read through a few pages and didn't see this answered. Thanks
Old Aug 6, 2013, 6:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plt, Hilton Gold, BA Silver, GE
After reading the thread on the UA thread, anyone finding upgrades harder and lounges more crowded as many faux MR Golds via UA are reporting upgrade successes?

I find myself at a Hilton next week to get to the next level since I have nowhere higher to go with MR and I could easily get MR Gold with my MP account assuming this program exists in the future.

I guess bringing in 50 temporary faux MR Golds is worth losing 5 permanent HVS. Oh well, as the world turns.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by GDaoV
After reading the thread on the UA thread, anyone finding upgrades harder and lounges more crowded as many faux MR Golds via UA are reporting upgrade successes?
Unless someone has a sticker plastered to their forehead saying Marriott Gold via UA, how would you know if an upgrade isn't available or exec lounge is more crowded vs. a regular Gold or a Gold challenge Gold?

My guess is it also depends on the property - if you're at a large metropolitan area then there will be more elites in general than in smaller towns. And not all the UA folk are staying at FS properties. Some are at CYs (and are now experiencing what we already knew - no brekkie ).

Cheers.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 8:49 am

Programs: Ritz/Marriott Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, USAir Chairman, Aegean Gold
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
Thank You!
Old Aug 6, 2013, 9:27 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier, UA 1K
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I get that. Last year the husband got Gold at Hilton via his American status, which we enjoyed when staying at Hiltons. But then, don't announce it as an exciting benefit for Marriott members.
It all depends on where you are coming from. I qualified for LT Platinum a number of years ago and had UA 1K as well with now over 600K lifetime qualifying flight miles. My travel has now been significantly reduced to maybe 7-8 domestic trips a year; not enough to qualify for status on UA, but enough to appreciate the benefits I've lost. With this program, I can now enjoy E+ and shorter security lines (based in DEN), with no effort in my part due to LT Platinum at Marriott. Luckily having Platinum status should not water down my perceived Marriott benefits as I should still get upgrade priority over Golds.

While I'm not the target audience for this promotion as I primarily fly UA already, I'll happily accept the additional enhanced benefit for as long as the program exists.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.