Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 15, 2013, 4:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Full details and a FAQ are available at www.united.com/rewardsplus and https://fly-united.marriott.com/en_US/ https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/details/

From the FAQS:

If I already have Marriott Gold Elite status or higher and MileagePlus Premier Silver status or higher, do I need to register for RewardsPlus?

No. Please note that the website will accept your registration, but your status will not change. You also do not need to register for the enhanced miles and points benefits that will launch in the coming weeks.

Feb 2017 Data Point:

You can expedite a 'pending' upgrade to Silver before March 1st if you need it:

i also lost my UA status Feb 1 and was also pending UA Silver for after 2.28 once my eligibility was confirmed. i called MAR Plat CS and asked about expediting because of an upcoming flight. i called MR Platinum at 11PM. The rep said she couldn't do it, the dept that does it was closed, but that she send a message to them. she didn't know how long it would take them, but thought it would be done within 2 days. 11 hours later, at 10am the next morning, UA Silver status was showing when i logged into my UA acct online.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2013, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Armani
You are correct. I was using the Delta terminology (my primary airline currently). I apologize for the confusion and appreciate your clarification. I was trying to determine whether I would have access to reserve any non-E+ seat when I make my reservation. Without status, I only have access to non-aisle seats primarily in the back of the plane. I couldn't find information regarding this described in the silver benefits on the United website. Thanks.
Non-status passengers (and Silvers) on UA can book any E- seat that's available at time of booking. They're not restricted to window/middle. At the 24-hour mark (online check in) Silvers can pick any available E+ seat & move up from E-.

* In the past Silvers could pick E+ at time of booking. That bennie dropped a year ago, and now it's at check-in.

Cheers.
Old Jul 21, 2013, 1:42 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by gardener
Marriott Platinum and no UA status. Registered on Friday (it had both my numbers correct) and to my surprise UA Silver showed up late Saturday despite it being on the weekend.
Upgrade took under 48 hours. But, Marriott Platinum Account was linked to an (old) unused UA (Continental) #. Old account got upgraded to Silver, and UA was very helpful in merging the accounts.

Benefits paid off immediately, since (coincidentally) had just booked some UA flight segments.

Got E+ for tomorrow BOS-IAH-SAT, but the best, WAS AN INSTANT UPGRADE, on an upcoming trip.

Was booked : BOS-SFO in "B-class" (in a few weeks) and was able to upgrade "instantly" to First Class. ^^
Old Jul 21, 2013, 2:59 pm

Well I did not get upgraded to first class for ORD-DCA (though I did have the thrill of seeing my name on the board). Got aisle seat for economy plus at check in. Going through premier security was also a time saver. For me, it is a great program.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 8:19 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
Upgrade took under 48 hours. But, Marriott Platinum Account was linked to an (old) unused UA (Continental) #. Old account got upgraded to Silver, and UA was very helpful in merging the accounts.

Benefits paid off immediately, since (coincidentally) had just booked some UA flight segments.

Got E+ for tomorrow BOS-IAH-SAT, but the best, WAS AN INSTANT UPGRADE, on an upcoming trip.

Was booked : BOS-SFO in "B-class" (in a few weeks) and was able to upgrade "instantly" to First Class. ^^
I'm glad to know that some Marriott elites are enjoying the benefits of elite status on United. I really do hope that they get some reciprocity out of it...even if I get occasionally slightly fewer upgrades.

By the way, BOS-SFO is an almost impossible complimentary upgrade. Tip of the hat to you!
Old Jul 22, 2013, 6:10 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cova
I have nights but need more spend for Lifetime MR Platinum. But what is the point. Not much difference between Gold and Plat anyway.
In my view, it's just the opposite. There will likely be so many Golds now and, more importantly, a widely held view that it's "easy" to obtain, that Platinum will be the only meaningful status.

I'm hedging my bets and making sure I requalify for Platinum, even though that will most likely mean 1 or 2 stays I wouldn't otherwise need, just because of a perception that Gold won't be worth as much anymore.

(Plus, being based at SFO, having UA Silver is a nice insurance policy in case I have to deviate from Delta.)
Old Jul 22, 2013, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Non-status passengers (and Silvers) on UA can book any E- seat that's available at time of booking. They're not restricted to window/middle. At the 24-hour mark (online check in) Silvers can pick any available E+ seat & move up from E-.

* In the past Silvers could pick E+ at time of booking. That bennie dropped a year ago, and now it's at check-in.
You seem to be describing what people can do for free. But Silvers can pay for E+ at time of booking still today, can't they? It's only complimentary access to E+ that's deferred until check-in, as I understand.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by astroflyer
By the way, BOS-SFO is an almost impossible complimentary upgrade. Tip of the hat to you!
Congrats on the BOS-SFO upgrade (your B fare helped). As astroflyer said, BOS-SFO-BOS is one of the toughest complimentary upgrades to get.

Originally Posted by sdsearch
You seem to be describing what people can do for free. But Silvers can pay for E+ at time of booking still today, can't they? It's only complimentary access to E+ that's deferred until check-in, as I understand.
Anyone can purchase E+ at time of booking IIRC, not just Silver. But for comp access for Silver, it's the 24-hour mark.

Cheers.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 11:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by astroflyer
I'm glad to know that some Marriott elites are enjoying the benefits of elite status on United. I really do hope that they get some reciprocity out of it...even if I get occasionally slightly fewer upgrades.

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Congrats on the BOS-SFO upgrade (your B fare helped). As astroflyer said, BOS-SFO-BOS is one of the toughest complimentary upgrades to get.
I must say, it was quite timely (the Marriott Platinum to Premiere Silver Status option)

I was surprised about the upgrade (BOS-SFO) It's just about a month from now. When the reservation said "eligible for INSTANT UPGRADE" I was quite pleased when I called and they could actually process the upgrade on the spot.

No idea why it was booked in B class, since it was part of an itinerary BOS-SFO-PVG, of which the SFO-PVG was booked in "P" class (BusinessFirst). Perhaps, these was some cost savings booking the BOS-SFO segment in economy class. FWIW, it is the middle section of a AMS-KEF-BOS-SFO-PVG-AMS itinerary.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 12:27 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
FWIW, it is the middle section of a AMS-KEF-BOS-SFO-PVG-AMS itinerary.
Sounds like you would have been at least silver anyway after this trip.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Sounds like you would have been at least silver anyway after this trip.
AMS-KEF-BOS on FI
BOS-SFO-PVG on UA
PVG-AMS on KL

Will make DL Platinum just prior to this trip, with the next BOS-AMS flight.

Hoping to status match DL-Platinum to UA-Platinum right before the BOS-SFO-PVG trip on UA.

Most fights originating in AMS make it tough to avoid SkyTeam.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 1:24 pm

Most fights originating in AMS make it tough to avoid SkyTeam.
Are you saying SkyTeam folk fight a lot? Sorry, couldn't resist

I have an annual biz trip to AMS & usually route through ORD, IAD or FRA on UA (yeah, I know there's an extra connection w/ FRA but FRA runs 777 vs the others so oftentimes better chance of an upgrade).

PS - Y & B fares are technically instant upgrade available, but doesn't necessarily means it clears at time of booking. I think you lucked out w/ a seat being available. Congrats!

Cheers.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
(I read through 6 pages and did not find the answer)

Question: Do I still have to stay the full 75 nights to get to Marriott Platinum?

If I get Gold because of my 1K Status do I have to only stay 25 more nights to reach Platinum or the full 75?

Also what if I now GET the Marriott Chase CC (Black One) with I believe 15 nights comp'd...just curious how to get to platinum if I want to maximize this new partnership..

Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership Announced

This does not give you any EQN's, you still need 75 of those to make plat.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by tasnam
(I read through 6 pages and did not find the answer)

Question: Do I still have to stay the full 75 nights to get to Marriott Platinum?

If I get Gold because of my 1K Status do I have to only stay 25 more nights to reach Platinum or the full 75?

Also what if I now GET the Marriott Chase CC (Black One) with I believe 15 nights comp'd...just curious how to get to platinum if I want to maximize this new partnership..

Thanks for your help.
As Vicki says, you need to stay 75 or (60 if you have CC). You might want to try & do the Platinum challenge which would give you Plat bennies immediately & you'd have 90 days to meet it (I think it's 9 stays in 90 days), and then I think it takes you through part of next year (Vicki - anyone know how long it would last?), when you'd have to get the 75 the old-fashioned way (75 or 60 or less depending on CC spend).

Cheers.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 7:19 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Originally Posted by tasnam
And for completeness, here's the part of the T&Cs that answers your question:

b. In the Marriott Rewards Program: Members who receive complimentary Gold Elite status in the Marriott Rewards Program through the RewardsPlus Program may reach higher Elite status levels, but only by reaching the published qualification requirements as set forth in the Marriott Rewards Elite program. Gold Elite status in the Marriott Rewards Program that is granted through the RewardsPlus Program may not be combined, added or stacked with any elite qualification requirements to achieve a higher Elite status level in the Marriott Rewards Program. For more information, please visit www.marriott.com/rewards/member-benefits.mi
And yes, the Signature CC would provide you with the first 15 nights on your journey to 75 (plus 1 night per $3'000 spent on the card).

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.