Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Marriott Rewards and United MileagePlus "RewardsPlus" Partnership

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 20, 19, 5:42 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: DenverBrian
Wiki Link
Full details and a FAQ are available at www.united.com/rewardsplus and https://mrrewardsplus.com/en_US/details/

From the FAQS:

If I already have Marriott Gold Elite status or higher and MileagePlus Premier Silver status or higher, do I need to register for RewardsPlus?

No. Please note that the website will accept your registration, but your status will not change. You also do not need to register for the enhanced miles and points benefits that will launch in the coming weeks.

Feb 2017 Data Point:

You can expedite a 'pending' upgrade to Silver before March 1st if you need it:

i also lost my UA status Feb 1 and was also pending UA Silver for after 2.28 once my eligibility was confirmed. i called MAR Plat CS and asked about expediting because of an upcoming flight. i called MR Platinum at 11PM. The rep said she couldn't do it, the dept that does it was closed, but that she send a message to them. she didn't know how long it would take them, but thought it would be done within 2 days. 11 hours later, at 10am the next morning, UA Silver status was showing when i logged into my UA acct online.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 17, 13, 8:00 am

Do I need to fly at least 4segment with UA in order to get the UA Silver Premiere

Hi guys...I have never fly with UA before, so will I get the UA Silver Premiere status with my Marriott Platinum status?

I registered it yesterday but there is no update on my newly opened UA account...
Old Jul 17, 13, 8:08 am

Programs: FB Silver, MR Platinum (Life), EK Silver, DL, UA Premier, BA, HH Gold, A3 *Silver
Hi dolphin,

Originally Posted by Dolphinyong View Post
Hi guys...I have never fly with UA before, so will I get the UA Silver Premiere status with my Marriott Platinum status?

I registered it yesterday but there is no update on my newly opened UA account...
It takes a couple of days to be reflected, as UA confirms your MR status before giving you Silver.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Jul 17, 13, 8:33 am

Programs: Priority Club Platinum, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
I am MR silver - after next stay will be MR Gold for the first time, but would really like to get Gold before and cannot get the darn links to work. First one works fine - but then when I hit "get started" I get a connection error.

Update: I did it via the United site on Monday and I am Gold already.... Should have checked before I posted!
Old Jul 17, 13, 8:38 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by 380Flyer View Post
I do hope that Gold MR will only be available to UA 1K; and
UA Premier Gold will only be available to MR Platinum members from 2014.

Only if the above happens will I only be satisfied with the programme. At the way it's structured at the moment, I am boycotting Marriott unless they can give me assurance of what I've mentioned above.

Await your feedback Marriott on this issue.

I am not happy with the current structure of this new programme.
Marriott Plat here (and also AA Exec Plat; no status on UA, because I avoid UA).

I'll be writing Marriott to express my disappointment at this needless expansion of the Marriott Gold membership. Dilution of benefits is a huge problem for loyalty programs. And this is an enormous dilution. As it is now, the Concierge Lounges are too crowded. Also, most front desks do not differentiate among Golds and Platinums for room upgrades, it's often first come = first served. I can deal with that as long as the Marriott Golds are staying 50 nights compared to my 75 nights, limiting the competition.

But now, literally hundreds of thousands of UA travelers have been gifted Marriott Gold status.

The UA Silver status is a joke of a bone to throw at Marriott Plats in return. No lounge access, minimal (25%) bonus miles, no upgrades realistically, and a pot shot at Economy plus.

This is a lose-lose proposition for Marriott elites in my opinion.
Old Jul 17, 13, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Looking at the details futher, I also see this as quite an unbalanced partnership.

Only MR top tier elites get anything, and it's the bare minimum from UA. But mid- and up at UA get mid-level at MR.

Either give only UA GS/1K/PLT MR Gold, or give MR PLT's UA Gold and MR GLD's UA Silver.
Old Jul 17, 13, 10:21 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platnum, Marriott Lifetime Platnum
Another Lifetime Platinum with Marriott that agrees with the majority of posts that don't think that only obtaining United Silver status is of equal value. Maybe at the end of the year there will be a re-evaluation of this bad trade. Obtaining Gold Status with UA would seem like a more balanced partnership.
Old Jul 17, 13, 11:40 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
While the 25% bonus miles when flying UA will be nice, I agree wholeheartedly with others that this is a SLAP IN THE FACE from MR (French) to its elite members. It reinforces what we have seen in the last few years, spearheaded by Mr. French, that elite status is just a tool they use to attract people to stay at MR brands. French has no desire or motive to provide meaningful benefits to elite members. They have devalued the program and inflated the elite ranks with their Gold and Plat challenges, elite status nights from CC spend, Gold status from RC Visa, and now give away Gold status to all but the lowest tier MP members with nothing in return other than crowded lounges for their own elites. BTW, an article I read the other day had 40 million MR members and 80 million UA MP members, with no breakdown of number of elites. I personally see a few million new Golds out of this move. While MR is salivating over the potential new business, most MR members here in the FT forum are not. Yet the MP forum, every one seems happy. You think?

As long as the hotel business is doing well, rates will continue to climb, up 200% in a few years at many hotels. Hotel categories will go up, and benefits will go down. Yes, they added weekend breakfast, but that was done because of their competitions' offerings.

As long a s Mr. French is in charge of the MR program, don't expect much in terms of additional benefits or improvements in existing benefits. Domestic lounges are a joke IMO, and I do not see all the hullabaloo over them; must be by those who never travel internationally.

It's the SLAP IN THE FACE by Marriott that pisses me off. Good for the UA folks, and welcome to the millions of new MR Gold elites.
Old Jul 17, 13, 12:29 pm

Programs: United 1K,Marriott Platinum Premier,IHC Platinum Ambassador,Hilton Gold
Good News..Just spoke with Marriott..See the terms and conditions for this program..It is a limited time program that will give UA Golds and above, Gold status with Marriott through Jan.31,2014..Thats it! See terms and conditions..I can live with that!
Old Jul 17, 13, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, MR/SPG Plat, HH Silver
Originally Posted by CAL PHL FLYER View Post
Good News..Just spoke with Marriott..See the terms and conditions for this program..It is a limited time program that will give UA Golds and above, Gold status with Marriott through Jan.31,2014..Thats it! See terms and conditions..I can live with that!
Did they happen to say it will definitely NOT be renewed past then or is it wait and see?
Old Jul 17, 13, 1:23 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by CPRich View Post
Looking at the details futher, I also see this as quite an unbalanced partnership.

Only MR top tier elites get anything, and it's the bare minimum from UA. But mid- and up at UA get mid-level at MR.

Either give only UA GS/1K/PLT MR Gold, or give MR PLT's UA Gold and MR GLD's UA Silver.
the deal on the United side are these 2...

1. Say you have 150K Marriott reward points and 70,000 miles on UA.

You can do the 50K United miles into 50K marriott reward points...

this will give you 200K marriott reward points which you then book the marriott reward package----with the package its 7 nights at a marriott + 50K mileage...thus you get the mileage back into your account.

thus its like getting 50K in marriottt points for free.

2. the other part of the deal---if you are Gold on united you are automatically gold on Marriott.
Old Jul 17, 13, 1:25 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
What I had read---but im unsure of this---was that if you become a gold member of marriott through one of their challanges you arent really a gold member for Marriott in this program.
Old Jul 17, 13, 1:31 pm

Programs: MR LT(!)TE, DL DM (sigh) MM(!), HTZ PC, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
The UA board is not so convinced.

If this is a temporary program... not a big deal. If this is permanent, I don't see why I should get Gold through stays anymore (even with the credit card it's still a month a year) when I can just do a couple of not terribly pricey TATLs on UA... much less of a time commitment.
Old Jul 17, 13, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Marriott challenges don't get UA silver. I am 45 days into the Taste of Platinum challenge and i tried to sign up but it wouldn't let me. I had to call Marriott; the representative I spoke to told me I had already met the challenge requirements, so she'd close it so i was an official Plat.

I don't know if people doing a challenge on UA get Marriott status, though.
Old Jul 17, 13, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, MR Plat, SPG P75, HH Gold, Hertz PC
FWIW I just checked my United account and as of today it shows Premier Silver. Did register early on monday European time...

Greetings - Dirk
Old Jul 17, 13, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA:Lifetime Plat DL:Lifetime Silver UA:1P MAR:Lifetime Tit
How is that good news? Some people don't benefit from this partnership, but that's not a reason to root against those who do. The fears of "dilution" are overblown. This will increase the profitability of both companies which will do far more good than any minute harm from a few more people in lounges. Also, all qualifying members benefit from the point conversion and redemption bonuses.

This is a great move on the part of Marriott and United alike. It amazes me how people will complain both when benefits are added *and* when they are taken away. In this case, something was added - nothing taken away.

Search this Thread