Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel Maria Cristina, San Sebastian, Spain 2013 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Maria Cristina, San Sebastian, Spain 2013 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2016, 2:45 pm

Very enjoyable

Just finished a three night stay with my wife using SPG points. This is a fabulous historic property. We were platinum upgraded to an Executive room which was very nice (the suite posted with pictures on the first post look fantastic but we were happy with our lovely room). The room and entire hotel were immaculate. The staff was pleasant and accommodating. Buffet breakfast is excellent. Hotel location is ideal to visit Old Town. We definitely would return.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Hotel car

Anyone use the hotel car, if so what is it and approx cost each way?

Thanks
Old Oct 24, 2016, 7:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by chanp
Anyone use the hotel car, if so what is it and approx cost each way?

Thanks
As I note in the first post of this thread I used the hotel car from Bilbao airport and it was €180 each way though less if you paid cash to the driver. That was a couple of years ago now so might have gone up.
Old Nov 15, 2018, 9:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Amb, oneworld Ruby
Thread bump.

I will be there next week with a friend, who is also Plat Ambassador. I applied SNAs online when I made my booking (full cash) and the system "accepted" them, so I wait patiently for the outcome.

Any news / trip reports from members about the experience (including staff helpfulness, condition of rooms, likelihood of upgrades, etc) after late 2016? I'll be sure to report back after I complete my stay.

Thanks in advance!
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HollyGlen
Thread bump.

I will be there next week with a friend, who is also Plat Ambassador. I applied SNAs online when I made my booking (full cash) and the system "accepted" them, so I wait patiently for the outcome.

Any news / trip reports from members about the experience (including staff helpfulness, condition of rooms, likelihood of upgrades, etc) after late 2016? I'll be sure to report back after I complete my stay.

Thanks in advance!
Stayed last summer for two days. SNAs cleared at the 5 day mark for a nice two room suite (was on points). Great service all around. Solid breakfast (like Europe solid, not Asia solid).

A true gem of a property in the perfect location to explore all the pinxtos & tapas bars - enjoy!
HollyGlen likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 8:26 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
I love this property!

Stayed in before the merge and as an Ambassador guest, was treated so kindly by Ned the GM. It was my ex bf's bday and he was given 2 full bottles of Moet, cake, chocolates, etc. And the suite was immaculate.

LOVE the way SPG treated their top tier guests. It was truly a memorable stay!
bhrubin and HollyGlen like this.
Old Nov 16, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Had a two-night stay last month which was ... acceptable.

No Platinum upgrade, although the standard room was okay. Beautiful bathroom with shower.

Room type wasn't quite right (booked a twin but the beds were joined together despire my emailing to ensure this would't happen... still, had separate sheets and the bed was super comfy so didn't complain.)

No welcome note or gift of any kind (I told them it was my 40th birthday) and only one bottle of water in the room.

Breakfast venue, buffet and service were all excellent, although Platinums need to show a coupon each time.

We didn't need late checkout but it was proactively offered.
HollyGlen and Thunderroad like this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:18 am

Reporting back as promised! Thanks to all the members who posted with their comments.

First things first, I was surprised to learn that my travelling companion was Flyertalk regular @EuropeanPete! Apologies to the mods for calling him out and causing a stink on this thread earlier...

I had just racked up my 100 legacy SPG nights a fortnight ago, and my Ambassador got in touch for the first time, as I was literally packing my bags and about to call my taxi to the airport. I asked if she could work her magic and make my SNAs happen. She checked but said no, as the hotel was packed out on one of the nights of my stay, but said she should be able to get a complimentary suite upgrade for the last two nights thereafter. She was incredibly responsive: we actually exchanged a couple of emails over the next two hours prior to boarding! A great first experience of the Ambassador benefit, big props to Jamie if she's reading this.

First impressions: the hotel is impressive. Grand, old stone building, grand but tasteful lobby, really friendly staff, great location by the river and not far at all from the Old Town and the beach. GM Ned left a lovely handwritten note in the room thanking me for my programme loyalty and welcoming me to San Sebastián and the Hotel, along with an artsy platter of cut fruit, a box of chocolates and a bottle of French champagne (Perrier-Jouët Grand Brut). In my three years as Plat, I've never scored a bottle of anything, French or otherwise, so I don't know, maybe the Ambassador thing does come in handy after all.

Beds are very comfortable, deluxe rooms are a decent size, ceilings are very high; they have to be if you want to hang chandeliers from them. As promised, I was upgraded for the last two nights to a Garden View Suite, which had an oversized living room and was just gorgeous. All SNAs were refunded soon after check-in so no issues there.

Concierges are very helpful, and knowing that 99% of visitors to San Sebastián are there for the food, have prepared a pintxos map of the town, along with a recommended dish to be had at each. A couple of entries were outdated as the bars had been taken over by new management and the offering had fundamentally changed. I will write to the hotel to ask them to update the map.

Gym is ok. Lots of treadmills and bikes, less in the weights department. It has a small studio for yoga and similar. Apples and muesli bars are provided, although I miss the Nespresso machine at the Marriott Lyon gym...

EuropeanPete said he found the "three shades of grey" corridor colour scheme to be rather corporate Ritz-Carlton like, and the service in the Dry Bar downstairs rather odd. He knows more about these things than I do.

There is also a lovely gourmet shop on the ground floor, selling everything from 5Js Jabugo jamon, Cantabrian anchovies, wines, olive oils, cookbooks and chocolates. They had some hand-cut 5Js in vacuum packs so I bought six to take home.

All in all, top hotel and I'm very glad I had the opportunity to stay here. I don't visit these "grande dame" historic luxury hotels much (they don't exist where my work takes me) and it is always a pleasure to do so.
bhrubin, damon88 and Thunderroad like this.

Last edited by HollyGlen; Nov 29, 2018 at 9:28 am Reason: Typos
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by ajamieson

No welcome note or gift of any kind (I told them it was my 40th birthday) and only one bottle of water in the room.

Breakfast venue, buffet and service were all excellent, although Platinums need to show a coupon each time.
Thanks @ajamieson for your earlier report.

Just on these two points, I received two bottles of water a day, but you can always go down to reception and ask for more, as I did on a couple of occasions. They were always more than happy to help.

The coupon thing didn't appear to be a thing anymore when I visited. I simply told them my room number upon entering and they crossed it off their list.
bhrubin and ajamieson like this.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Has anyone taken the train up from BCN? Safe to assume there's a first class and, if so, is it much of an upgrade? Looking to book something a little off the beaten path (I absolutely adore Seville, but I understand the Game of Thrones effect to have been detrimental to the experience) - this looks like it might be a good fit. Obviously I could fly, but I'm keen to avoid airport/airplane stress on vaca when a train will do just fine (even if 5+ hrs).

Thanks much all!
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Has anyone taken the train up from BCN? Safe to assume there's a first class and, if so, is it much of an upgrade? Looking to book something a little off the beaten path (I absolutely adore Seville, but I understand the Game of Thrones effect to have been detrimental to the experience) - this looks like it might be a good fit. Obviously I could fly, but I'm keen to avoid airport/airplane stress on vaca when a train will do just fine (even if 5+ hrs).

Thanks much all!
If you fly in via San Sebastian Airport (as opposed to Bilbao), it's quite stress-free. It's basically an airstrip with two conveyor belts and one café. Collection of checked-in baggage is very fast a d I was out of there within ten minutes of landing. Lots of taxis serving the airport too to get into town proper.
damon88 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by HollyGlen
If you fly in via San Sebastian Airport (as opposed to Bilbao), it's quite stress-free. It's basically an airstrip with two conveyor belts and one café. Collection of checked-in baggage is very fast a d I was out of there within ten minutes of landing. Lots of taxis serving the airport too to get into town proper.
Thanks much for the insight! Obviously I'd still have to deal w/ BCN on the other end, but I'll keep this in mind as I consider options...
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Flying into San Sebastian is a great use of Avios!
damon88 likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Has anyone taken the train up from BCN? Safe to assume there's a first class and, if so, is it much of an upgrade?
I just took the train from BCN to San Sebastian. ~5 hours. Was in Preferente class which was fine - not as good as First Class on Ave but it's less packed and you can get a single seat.

THE HOTEL: Just completed a 2 night stay at Hotel Maria Cristina. WOW! Loved all of it. Used 2 SNA's to upgrade a booking on points (60,000 / night) to a suite which was beautiful. Very large separate living room with three sofas. The bed was so comfortable. The finishings are exquisite. Bathroom / shower so clean and great amenities. We had drinks both nights at the hotel cocktail bar - amazing cocktails (I recommend the "Bette Davis"). Room service was great too. All in all a top 5 star stay!
bhrubin, damon88 and Thunderroad like this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 2:13 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by seanp7
I just took the train from BCN to San Sebastian. ~5 hours. Was in Preferente class which was fine - not as good as First Class on Ave but it's less packed and you can get a single seat.

THE HOTEL: Just completed a 2 night stay at Hotel Maria Cristina. WOW! Loved all of it. Used 2 SNA's to upgrade a booking on points (60,000 / night) to a suite which was beautiful. Very large separate living room with three sofas. The bed was so comfortable. The finishings are exquisite. Bathroom / shower so clean and great amenities. We had drinks both nights at the hotel cocktail bar - amazing cocktails (I recommend the "Bette Davis"). Room service was great too. All in all a top 5 star stay!

We are visiting in March. Thanks for the update-Very excited for this stay!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.