Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Gritti Palace, Venice, Italy (Post 2013 renovation) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge: [email protected] om

Directions on how to reach hotel from airport, train station, or elsewhere in Venice: https://www.marriott.com/hotelwebsites/us/v/vcegl/vcegl_pdfs/How_to_arrive_The_Gritti_Palace.pdf

Closest waterbus stop to hotel: Santa Maria del Giglio pier Directions

Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from Oct 2016:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...e-upgrade-1632
Print Wikipost

Gritti Palace, Venice, Italy (Post 2013 renovation) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2018, 5:26 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Not sure I see this logic, but of course from a moral universalist perspective, if every one was like you, and used the boats as an excuse not to drop cash on transit without giving the glassworks actual business, the boats would stop running. If folks regularly ask for "intermediate" stops and then don't buy, a policy of no intermediate stops will surely develop.
This sort of behavior has led to many perks that FTers enjoyed disappearing over the years.
It's a business and they make their own judgments. I think they've been doing it for a while and know what they are doing. I could have bought something and seriously considered multiple items. I may return one day to buy something, such as a custom chandelier, depending on future scenarios. They actually got $5000 worth of business from the couple I brought with me, so they did fine.

But I know for fact that many people don't buy and it's no big deal...obviously their formula works very well for them. I'm not worried about them and even if my friends didn't buy anything, have no issue with asking their corporate driver to drop off my bags on the way to factory/gallery.

​​​​​​​However, of you are uncomfortable with such a request, then to each his own, and wishing you happy and safe travels.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Originally Posted by nologic
These hotels are so close and get so far!

So, it's a EUR 50 water taxi to go from the Danieli to to Gritti, which takes 3-5 minutes .

It's an easy 10-15 mins walk, over 2-3 small bridges, if you want wheel your luggage up and down .

In high season, it's an easy water bus to the Gritti but the bus stop near the Gritti is closed from mid November until spring,

But. Voila! I have the solution, as long as you want to spend some to visit the glass galleries on Murano: have the Danieli Concierge set up a free water taxi to Murano, and on the way drop off you bags at the Gritti for free which they will do, and then have then take you back to the Gritti.
Thanks for the advice! Some award nights opened up for Gritti so we're able to do Danieli first for 2 nights followed up 2 nights ar Gritti. We actually do want to go to Murano so will probably do what you suggested...
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Four nights, 2 and 2, is really a great way to do Venice .They are both wonderful and historic hotels.

​​​EUR 120 water taxi to the airport is a little painful, but we we didn't have the time to roll up and down 2 bridges to take the airport water bus.

​​​​​​​Also, it's a bummer that the water bus stop across from the side canal at the corner of the Grand Canal is closed for the winter .
Old Dec 8, 2018, 12:19 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist

The Grand Canal was particularly fun during the Biennale when there were art installations along the way
Originally Posted by nologic
Four nights, 2 and 2, is really a great way to do Venice .They are both wonderful and historic hotels.

​​​EUR 120 water taxi to the airport is a little painful, but we we didn't have the time to roll up and down 2 bridges to take the airport water bus.

​​​​​​​Also, it's a bummer that the water bus stop across from the side canal at the corner of the Grand Canal is closed for the winter .

One thing if you are taking a water taxi. Unless you specify that you want the Grand Canal route the driver will take you on the more utilitarian (but Way less scenic) back route down nondescript water ways. We have had a few drivers agree to take the Grand Canal at no extra charge, but at worst they charge a surcharge. If you are already spending the big bucks on a water taxi it seems silly (IMHO) not to take the Grand Canal- at that point you are paying for a scenic tour and not just transportation.

Since our trips to Venice are on points and miles, we feel comfortable splurging on restaurants and water taxis. My husband really loves them.

Old Dec 8, 2018, 12:36 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
@damon88 that hands art installation is so very creepy!
Old Dec 8, 2018, 2:53 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by bhrubin
@damon88 that hands art installation is so very creepy!
I'm a huge fan of the artist, Lorenzo Quinn. He's repped by the Halcyon Gallery in London. The art shows how the sinking buildings need support. I won't go on and on about him since this is a thread about the Gritti Palace, but follow him on iG or look up his work. It's fantastic.
damon88 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

interesting, thanks SanDiego1K !

bhrubin i know you visited aman, but if any paying regulars / fans of gritti have stayed at aman, curious how they feel about comparison

clearly many fans of canal bar at gritti, and they deliver vs being tourist trap

helps to have great owners !
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 1:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by calvinoeh
Thanks for the advice! Some award nights opened up for Gritti so we're able to do Danieli first for 2 nights followed up 2 nights ar Gritti. We actually do want to go to Murano so will probably do what you suggested...
Love Murano on a Sunday - stores are open and Venice is even more crowded on a Sunday than other days, best day to get out of town and onto the lagoon.

Have lunch at Trattoria Busa alla Torre (reservations required).
Old Dec 11, 2018, 10:17 am

It looks like LC was finally moved to the Marriott platform. My May '19 Gritti points bookings were mucked up during the move but after calling in I was able to rebook (thankfully availability was still there) . It's worth noting that there are now two categories available for points bookings (Deluxe 1K and Venetian 1Q) and the Venetian is non-smoking whereas the deluxe was specifically smoking when I made my original bookings so I changed up. Lastly, there is now a €10/night charge on the booking that I don't believe was on the original through SPG, I didn't notice until I checked after the call but I don't think it's worth arguing over since I'm in a higher category room now anyways.

My fiancee and I are very much looking forward to our stay, we appreciate the detailed reviews that have been posted in this thread!

Edit: another note, looks like points advance is indeed available, although I didn't try.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there is a venice city tax most of the year IIRC
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
there is a venice city tax most of the year IIRC
That seems right actually, looking at a few reservation/cancellation emails when I was finalizing dates back around Aug 20-24th this year for the May '19 trip, the reservation emails don't list a nightly tax but the cancellation emails for the same reservation show a $5 USD/person charge excluded from the rate. Not a big deal regardless.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

think at one point it did not apply during off season

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 11, 2018 at 2:00 pm
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:05 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by madcard
It looks like LC was finally moved to the Marriott platform. My May '19 Gritti points bookings were mucked up during the move but after calling in I was able to rebook (thankfully availability was still there) . It's worth noting that there are now two categories available for points bookings (Deluxe 1K and Venetian 1Q) and the Venetian is non-smoking whereas the deluxe was specifically smoking when I made my original bookings so I changed up. Lastly, there is now a €10/night charge on the booking that I don't believe was on the original through SPG, I didn't notice until I checked after the call but I don't think it's worth arguing over since I'm in a higher category room now anyways.

My fiancee and I are very much looking forward to our stay, we appreciate the detailed reviews that have been posted in this thread!

Edit: another note, looks like points advance is indeed available, although I didn't try.
Is the Venetian considered a higher category room? Do they only come in queen size? I'm tempted to switch also because I booked a Deluxe under the SPG site and also saw it was a smoking room. I'm Plat so I was expecting to be upgraded anyway, would my upgrade be better if I was upgrading from a Venetian instead of a Deluxe?
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by mpeterson78
Is the Venetian considered a higher category room? Do they only come in queen size? I'm tempted to switch also because I booked a Deluxe under the SPG site and also saw it was a smoking room. I'm Plat so I was expecting to be upgraded anyway, would my upgrade be better if I was upgrading from a Venetian instead of a Deluxe?
Hopefully someone familiar with the property can answer more specifically, but the Marriott agent seemed to think it was better (other than the 1Q vs 1K), and it is ~75 euro/night more expensive for my dates in cash price. The main difference seems to be bed size, "atrium view" vs city view and the room size range is exactly 1sqm larger.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by madcard
Hopefully someone familiar with the property can answer more specifically, but the Marriott agent seemed to think it was better (other than the 1Q vs 1K), and it is ~75 euro/night more expensive for my dates in cash price. The main difference seems to be bed size, "atrium view" vs city view and the room size range is exactly 1sqm larger.
I too am also seeing now a 10 EUR/night charge on my reservation that wasn't there before. What gives? Is this a Venice tax or a Marriott fee? Why wasn't it being charged before?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.