Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Gritti Palace, Venice, Italy (Post 2013 renovation) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge: [email protected] om

Directions on how to reach hotel from airport, train station, or elsewhere in Venice: https://www.marriott.com/hotelwebsites/us/v/vcegl/vcegl_pdfs/How_to_arrive_The_Gritti_Palace.pdf

Closest waterbus stop to hotel: Santa Maria del Giglio pier Directions

Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from Oct 2016:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...e-upgrade-1632
Print Wikipost

Gritti Palace, Venice, Italy (Post 2013 renovation) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2018, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I've stayed in both and prefer the Gritti. The Danieli is stunning, both in its extraordinarily beautiful lobby and with its phenomenal view from the rooftop dining area. It is beyond the Grand Canal and you can see a lot of water traffic including cruise ships. However, the area between the hotel and the water is incredibly busy with multiple vaporetto stops and people constantly walking by. I prefer the serenity of the Gritti. There you have the deck by the canal so no land passageway for people. The good news is that we are spoiled for choice. Your priorities might be different from mine and what the Danieli offers might be your preference.
From a sheer price point, the Gritti is roughly double the price of the Danieli in the summer (at least for most of the nights I looked).
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
It had been a VERY long time since I was last in Venice. With no certainty that I’d get back again, I split my stay so that I could try both the Danieli and the Gritti Palace. Since from what I’d read I thought I’d prefer the latter, I started with 1 night at the Danieli and finished with 2 nights at the Gritti, and I applied SNAs for the latter. At both, I booked an entry-level room; rates were sufficiently low that I paid for both, rather than use points.
My room at the Danieli was upgraded to a large room (either a Deluxe or a Luxury) on the second floor with a tiny balcony facing the Grand Canal in the Excelsior Pslace.. I loved it, except for the combined shower/bath, and the constant noise from the crowds outside, which continued at night ( I was happy for the white noise app on my phone, and slept on the side of the bed farthest from the windows.)
At the Gritti, I was in a Serenissima suite probably as large as my apartment, with a view of a small slice of the canal if I angled myself at the window.
Because of the difference in accommodation, it’s not fair to compare the hotels on that count—both rooms were gorgeous, but the Gritti was magnificent. I appreciated the Aqua de Palma toiletries there over the Laura Tonnato ones I had at the Danieli ( I believe both hotels use the latter in rooms and the former in suites) and the separate shower stall (again, I think that was a function of having a suite). I was grateful for the inclusion of sparkling as well as still water at the Gritti, and don’t know if that was because of the suite.
I found service at the Danieli (even though it’s larger) warmer, both at checkin and especially from the concierge desk ( though the Gritti concierge who had to check me out at 4:30 am was very kind). YMMV.
I thought the public spaces at the Danieli more amazing (but the traffic in and out disconcerting), and the restaurant with its views more beautiful. I had a dinner there, but did not love the food . I did not dine at the Gritti so cannot compare.
I have some mobility issues right now, and with the Gritti’s nearby vaporetto stop closed, it meant climbing a number of stairs to cross those bridges to get arounnd town. Saddled with those, I’d opt for the Danieli off-season, but because the Gritti feels more, well, elegant and exclusive, and is in a quieter area, I’d choose it in a heartbeat during the rest of the year.
margarita girl, bhrubin and rny321 like this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Just returned from one night at the Danieli and two nights at the Gritti. Was upgraded to a deluxe room with a full/large balcony (probably one of only 10 rooms with a full walk out balcony at the hotel) on the top floor of the Excelsior building, one floor below the restaurant. Also, upgraded to a beautiful Suite at the Gritti.

I would stay 10/10 times at the Gritti. It's among the most special hotels I' ve stayed at, with incredibly personalized service, very intimate, only 82 room. Very elegant. The renovations are also much nicer and the bathrooms are much larger...and there is a real walk in shower vs the awkward bathtub showers in the Danieli. The Gritti also has modern electronic charging stations on either side of the bed .the Danieli is electronically challenged.

I will say the the Danieli has considerably better views and especially great sunset views, located on the big Lagoon at the end of the Grand Canal...looking back at and oiut over "everything."

Both breakfast were similar and very good, but the Danieli was very busy, bustling...the Gritti was quiet and relaxing.
​​​​​​​

​​​
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by bhrubin

You probably mean good hotels in the USA put the water in the fridge...because Americans typically drink cold water more than any other nationality. We actually prefer room temperature water, however. We find that most hotels leave the complimentary bottled water out in the open.

I’m actually confused as to how complimentary bottles of water can create so much discussion.

Even in the US, I rarely encounter complimentary water bottles in the refrigerator or mini bar. Although I appreciate having water bottles to carry with me when sightseeing in countries where it is advisable not to drink the water or buy possibly refilled water bottles, I can't say I have ever mentioned the number of bottles provided each day when reviewing a hotel.

Last edited by rny321; Dec 2, 2018 at 12:25 pm
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
I did appreciate the free sparkling water in the room at the Gritti.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rfrost
It had been a VERY long time since I was last in Venice. With no certainty that I’d get back again, I split my stay so that I could try both the Danieli and the Gritti Palace. Since from what I’d read I thought I’d prefer the latter, I started with 1 night at the Danieli and finished with 2 nights at the Gritti, and I applied SNAs for the latter. At both, I booked an entry-level room; rates were sufficiently low that I paid for both, rather than use points.
My room at the Danieli was upgraded to a large room (either a Deluxe or a Luxury) on the second floor with a tiny balcony facing the Grand Canal in the Excelsior Pslace.. I loved it, except for the combined shower/bath, and the constant noise from the crowds outside, which continued at night ( I was happy for the white noise app on my phone, and slept on the side of the bed farthest from the windows.)
At the Gritti, I was in a Serenissima suite probably as large as my apartment, with a view of a small slice of the canal if I angled myself at the window.
Because of the difference in accommodation, it’s not fair to compare the hotels on that count—both rooms were gorgeous, but the Gritti was magnificent. I appreciated the Aqua de Palma toiletries there over the Laura Tonnato ones I had at the Danieli ( I believe both hotels use the latter in rooms and the former in suites) and the separate shower stall (again, I think that was a function of having a suite). I was grateful for the inclusion of sparkling as well as still water at the Gritti, and don’t know if that was because of the suite.
I found service at the Danieli (even though it’s larger) warmer, both at checkin and especially from the concierge desk ( though the Gritti concierge who had to check me out at 4:30 am was very kind). YMMV.
I thought the public spaces at the Danieli more amazing (but the traffic in and out disconcerting), and the restaurant with its views more beautiful. I had a dinner there, but did not love the food . I did not dine at the Gritti so cannot compare.
I have some mobility issues right now, and with the Gritti’s nearby vaporetto stop closed, it meant climbing a number of stairs to cross those bridges to get arounnd town. Saddled with those, I’d opt for the Danieli off-season, but because the Gritti feels more, well, elegant and exclusive, and is in a quieter area, I’d choose it in a heartbeat during the rest of the year.
i got a lagoon view suite both times i stayed at the danieli, the toiletries were also Laura Tonnato.

i only stayed at gritti palace once (just one night). It was one of my best stay ever at any starwood hotels to date.
bhrubin and MarkP24 like this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:23 pm

Not just Best Hotel in Venice, One of the Best in the World

Just returned from two very special nights at the Gritti Place in Venice.

With only 82 two rooms, the hotel is so intimate.

The location on the Grand Canal just a few minutes from St Marks Square is perfect.

The renovations are both elegant and state of the art...large rooms, bathrooms...great views, luxury linens, premium Aqua di Parma toiletries, terrific restaurant, wonderful lobby bar on the Grand Canal, terrific room service, amazing staff...just can't say enough good things.
pageboy and bhrubin like this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:15 pm

Programs: OZ *G, HHonors Gold, Aclub Plat
Originally Posted by rfrost
How did you move hotels between Danieli and Gritti? Water taxi? Thinking of splitting stay between Gritti and Danieli and trying to figure out logistics of moving with 2 kids and luggage..
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:23 pm

These hotels are so close and get so far!

So, it's a EUR 50 water taxi to go from the Danieli to to Gritti, which takes 3-5 minutes .

It's an easy 10-15 mins walk, over 2-3 small bridges, if you want wheel your luggage up and down .

In high season, it's an easy water bus to the Gritti but the bus stop near the Gritti is closed from mid November until spring,

But. Voila! I have the solution, as long as you want to spend some to visit the glass galleries on Murano: have the Danieli Concierge set up a free water taxi to Murano, and on the way drop off you bags at the Gritti for free which they will do, and then have then take you back to the Gritti.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nologic

So, it's a EUR 50 water taxi to go from the Danieli to to Gritti, which takes 3-5 minutes .

It's an easy 10-15 mins walk, over 2-3 small bridges, if you want wheel your luggage up and down .

In high season, it's an easy water bus to the Gritti but the bus stop near the Gritti is closed from mid November until spring,

But. Voila! I have the solution, as long as you want to spend some to visit the glass galleries on Murano: have the Danieli Concierge set up a free water taxi to Murano, and on the way drop off you bags at the Gritti for free which they will do, and then have then take you back to the Gritti.
Did you drop some at Murano? What did you buy?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood

This is humor right? Going to Murano to change five star hotels vs. walking a bit or spending some cash?
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:09 pm

I coulda bought, woulda bought, didn't buy. I might even buy sometime in the future -- there are some things I really like.

They don't care...although they are in business to make money .

They own the boats (water taxis). F they will pick up from any major hotel and do a minimum round-trip w a free luggage drop off. That's a no brained. You have to watch a 15 min glass blowing and out of respect should tour the glass retail galleries, which are extensive. Worst case, is it's 45 mins to a hour.

I'm sure they are used to people coming and not buying.

​​​​​​​But I also suspect Danielle and Gritti guests are among their potential best clients, so why not accommodate?
Old Dec 5, 2018, 8:13 pm

I coulda bought, woulda bought, didn't buy. I might even buy sometime in the future -- there are some things I really like.

They don't care...although they are in business to make money, but they are long term and big picture oriented, IMO.

They own the boats (water taxis). I believe they will readily pick up from any "major" hotel and do a minimum round-trip w a free luggage drop off at an intermediate hotel. That's a no brainer. You "have" to watch a 15 min glass blowing demo and out of respect should tour the glass retail galleries, which are extensive. Worst case, is it's 45 mins to a hour.

I'm sure they are used to people coming and not buying.

​​​​​​​But I also suspect Danieli and Gritti guests are among their potential best clients, so why not accommodate?
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

But I also suspect Danieli and Gritti guests are among their potential best clients, so why not accommodate?
Not sure I see this logic, but of course from a moral universalist perspective, if every one was like you, and used the boats as an excuse not to drop cash on transit without giving the glassworks actual business, the boats would stop running. If folks regularly ask for "intermediate" stops and then don't buy, a policy of no intermediate stops will surely develop.
This sort of behavior has led to many perks that FTers enjoyed disappearing over the years.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by calvinoeh
How did you move hotels between Danieli and Gritti? Water taxi? Thinking of splitting stay between Gritti and Danieli and trying to figure out logistics of moving with 2 kids and luggage..
Yes, I took a water taxi. I could not have managed the stairs at the bridges with my luggage, AND it was very wet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.