Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Gritti Palace, Venice, Italy (Post 2013 renovation) [Master Thread]

Old Sep 24, 2018, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Hotel email address: [email protected]
Concierge: [email protected] om

Directions on how to reach hotel from airport, train station, or elsewhere in Venice: https://www.marriott.com/hotelwebsites/us/v/vcegl/vcegl_pdfs/How_to_arrive_The_Gritti_Palace.pdf

Closest waterbus stop to hotel: Santa Maria del Giglio pier Directions

Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from Oct 2016:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...e-upgrade-1632
Print Wikipost

Gritti Palace, Venice, Italy (Post 2013 renovation) [Master Thread]

Old Jul 12, 2014, 1:33 pm

This property just opened up a good number of Cash & Points nights in early/mid-August 2014. Redemption rates are $275 plus 15,000 points. Pre-paid and flexible rates are upwards of $1,100 during that period. Depending on your calculations, that is a point redemption of more than $.06/point.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
I cannot say enough great things about this property. We were upgraded to a Landmark Grand Canal room and I believe it has honestly spoiled us for the rest of our travels. The location of the property is fantastic and the views are amazing if you can score a canal-facing view. There are no crowds at all near this property, although it is steps away from crowds in all three directions (Accademia, Rialto, and St. Marks).

Platinum breakfast at the Terrace was fantastic! We rarely wake up for breakfasts, but this was an exception to make. So great.

One word of advice for anyone that is thinking of visiting Venice for the first time. Do not trust your friends' advice when they say you can "see everything in Venice in a day"! We heard that from many people leading up to our trip. We took their advice and booked 2 nights. As a few of our friends suggested, we "did" Venice - the tourist version - in 2 hours. However, we could have spent another few weeks "seeing" Venice (and enjoying Venice). It is a great city and it has a lot more to offer than St. Marks, the Doge's Palace, and the Rialto Bridge. The food can be rather inexpensive if you decide not to sit down for service and don't get food at the Rialto Bridge or St. Marks. I would recommend Antico Forno (near Rialto) for great pizza slices ... just get them for takeaway and picnic back on the side of the canal. This will cost you around 15 euro for 4 slices and 2 drinks.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 10:01 am
Community Director Emerita

We had a wonderful stay at the Gritti Palace. There are very few sights throughout the world that cause me to catch my breath. Walking thru the cool interior out onto the deck on the Grand Canal with the water sparkling in the sun did so. Irrespective of room, you will have a great stay here by spending time on the deck watching the Venetian world go by. Starwood did plats a great favor by giving us the alternative of breakfast. Breakfast on the deck (and indeed breakfast on the rooftop of the Danieli) is one of the great experiences in the Starwood world.

I used extra SPG points to book the best room available with points. Hotel staff generously upgraded us still further. This is a property that pays attention to those with status. However, be aware that any room I have been in to date requires standing in order to see the canal. Windows are set high. As it is a historic property this cannot be changed. I love their choice of Acqua di Parma as their toiletries. It says luxury to me, in keeping with the true luxury of the hotel.

We arrived via the train station with light luggage, so took boat 1 down the canal to the Giglio stop. We booked the water taxi to the airport when we left so that we could linger over breakfast as long as possible. We were able to charge the water taxi to our room. Service for everything was impeccable.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 8:13 pm

Programs: Free Agent
This property just vaulted to the top of my favorite hotels list! It’s in a perfect location. A 5 minute walk from the crowds of St. Mark’s square, and right next to a Vaporetto stop (Line 1) which gives you easy access to all the tourist sights.

Coming from the airport, a private water taxi was 110 Euros. I was upgraded to a large Serenissima suite that was absolutely fantastic. You get two 750mL bottles of water a day (Acqua Panna and San Pelligrino). On top of that, you get two 500mL bottles of the same in your minibar. Platinums get a full breakfast as their amenity, and the food is top notch and super high quality. The fruit was amazingly fresh. You can order hot items off the menu such as eggs benedict.

All the staff that I interacted with were friendly and helpful, giving the hotel a warm atmosphere. The gym is open 24/7, but is real small. It’s limited to two treadmills, and elliptical, and a cycle machine. WiFi is fast. Drinks at the bar are expensive, but worth it for the view. As I had an early morning departure, the hotel allowed me to settle the bill the night before, which let me just drop the keys off in the morning. I’m already thinking about returning to this hotel!
Old Feb 3, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Cannot rate this hotel too highly. From the moment I arrived on the water taxi from the airport and they ushered me to the bar to meet my travelling companion, the Gritti felt comfortable and relaxed but with impeccable service.

Dinner at the restaurant was a real treat, the bar mixes a mean Negroni, the breakfast is excellent (and free for Plats). And it didn't hurt that we were upgraded from a Landmark Grand Canal room to a Patron Corner suite - the John Ruskin suite - which normally sells for €4500/night - which is easily the most amazing hotel room in which I have ever stayed.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Originally Posted by Morland
Cannot rate this hotel too highly. From the moment I arrived on the water taxi from the airport and they ushered me to the bar to meet my travelling companion, the Gritti felt comfortable and relaxed but with impeccable service.

Dinner at the restaurant was a real treat, the bar mixes a mean Negroni, the breakfast is excellent (and free for Plats). And it didn't hurt that we were upgraded from a Landmark Grand Canal room to a Patron Corner suite - the John Ruskin suite - which normally sells for 4500/night - which is easily the most amazing hotel room in which I have ever stayed.
Awesome; thanks for sharing this! Have any pix of the suite by chance?
Old Feb 3, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
John Ruskin Suite, Gritti Palace

Last edited by Morland; Feb 3, 2015 at 1:17 pm
Old Feb 3, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Thank you!
Old Feb 3, 2015, 3:31 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
I understand if this sounds like sour grapes, but I think I'd suffocate in that kind of interior design... Maybe I'm too young to appreciate it
Old Feb 3, 2015, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Morland
they ushered me to the bar to meet my travelling companion
They provided you with a travelling companion - is that the platinum local amenity
Old Jul 14, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Trying to figure out if it is worth 30,000 points to stay at the Gritti Palace vs. 20,000 points at the Westin.

(Definietly more bang for your points if comparing to the rate).

Thoughts?
Old Jul 14, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Trying to figure out if it is worth 30,000 points to stay at the Gritti Palace vs. 20,000 points at the Westin.

Thoughts?
It IS a special place. If you can spare the points I'd do it. In fact I was going to do it (even had it booked and I'm not a point rich guy either) but had to cut my Venice stay due to time constraints.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 3:27 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by FlyAO2

Thoughts?
I would jump at the chance. I admit to not having been inside the Westin, but the Gritti Palace is one of the top few properties in the Starwood portfolio.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 9:13 am

I'm currently booked in a Giglio Prestige Room for 10 nights entirely on points. We aren't traveling for a full year so I have plenty of opportunity to try and build/maximize my SPG balance. We are booked during low season in the last week of Oct. and I have already put in a request for an upgrade. Chances are favorable that it will happen as I have a Corporate Preferred acct. and a really wonderful Virtuoso agent who has a close relationship with the property and despite the award booking which did not involve Virtuoso, she's offered to call and speak with the hotel prior to our arrival, to ensure that we are well taken care of. That said, I'm considering an upgrade to the Sestiere Suite category for an additional 200k SPG, since the Landmark Grand Canal Rooms are unavailable to book on points. I'd like some advice and input on whether you feel that it would be worth the extra points expenditure. I could always apply for the AmEx card and swap some air miles to make up the difference. Of course, any courtesy upgrades that received through the property would be even more preferable; ie. higher category (hoping for Ruskin/Pisani Suite). If you were presently booked in a Giglio Prestige room for an extended length of stay (full week+) at zero cost and fully paid, with strong likelihood of a courtesy upgrade regardless, would you blow another 200k SPG for the Sestiere and do you feel that the suite offers a considerable advantage in size & layout, decor & furnishing, view (doubtful?) etc. over the G.Prestige room? Would you consider it to be far more preferable/favorable or is it a negligible difference? Room size seems to be almost the same at the high end (25-57 m2 / 38-59 m2). Just wondering if it's worth the added effort to recharge my SPG balance in order to jump up the the base suite category? Grazie!
Old Jul 22, 2015, 1:48 pm
Community Director Emerita

I've stayed in the Ruskin suite. Be aware that it is Victorian decor. That means almost every horizontal and vertical surface is filled. It's very true to that design period. I stacked and moved books and bibelots in order to have some free space.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.