Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

How are you using your Cat 1-4/5 certs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 26, 2016, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Jaenks
Post great vacation hotels worth saving certificates for. Include the State/Country and category and reason.

Canada

Residence Inn Montreal Westmount Category 4
Located right outside the busy downtown but a quick walk or train ride away. Right near shopping center.

Malaysia:

JW Marriott Hotel Kuala Lumpur Category 4
Great value for a JW, in the heart of the city and excellent service

Phu Quoc, Vietnam:

JW Phu Quoc - Cat 5 - beautiful beachfront resort with rates from $350-$650 ++/night

Bangkok, Thailand:

Three of the full service Marriott properties are Cat 5. All three have central locations and reputation for good elite recognition:

Renaissance Ratchaprasong
Marriott Suk 57
Marriott Marquis

USA
Florida:

Courtyard Fort Lauderdale East Category 5
One of the closest hotels to the beach that is available for cert use and has a free shuttle to take you to the beach

Curacao, Netherlands Antilles:
Renaissance, DT Willemstad. Category 5.
On an ocean harbor, not a swimmable beach, but in the center of the action for nightlife, also for NYE, Mardi Gras, etc. festivities.

Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles:
Courtyard, Category 4!
Brand-new hotel. 5--10 minute walk inland from the ocean beach. It's the only major chain hotel on that island, so all other hotels are available only by paying real money.

Quito, Ecuador
JW Marriott, Category 5

Sao Paulo, Brazil
Renaissance Săo Paulo, Cat.5 Very good location,excellent quality of service,pre-confirmed suite upgrades,executive lounge F&B.
Print Wikipost

How are you using your Cat 1-4/5 certs?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2018, 9:51 am
Community Director Emerita

My husband is using one at the Racine Wisconsin Fairfield Inn, a level 3 property. He was able to book their larger room with it. The person traveling with him has to pay $180 for the same room. It's not aspirational but it saves money out of our pocket and that makes me happy.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by Tizzette
Why an interesting area? Is it unsafe?
It's been a couple years since I was there, but the adjacent hotels were very questionable in terms of quality and safety (with the exception of the Fairfield that shares the parking lot). Not much to write home about in terms of dining or entertainment right in that immediate area either. The Marriott itself is very nice, albeit with a very strange layout that sometimes requires you to walk completely through a very large conference center if you get a room in the newer (nicer) tower. The exec lounge was in the older tower, so it was quite a hike to get there if I got a room in the newer tower.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: HH Dia;SPG Plat;Marriott Plat;GHA Black
what happened if you cancel a booking using the e-cert?
will it be immediately returned to your account with the same expiry date?
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:50 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Gold, IHG Club, Hertz Gold, Aeroplan, Avios, SkyMiles, Thrifty, AMEX
Originally Posted by sandyph
what happened if you cancel a booking using the e-cert?
will it be immediately returned to your account with the same expiry date?
Yes.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by Kacee
Mine was extended 12 months last year, no problem. YMMV.
A Megabonus one?

I also called previously and had been told these cannot be extended. Think to use it for JW Hanoi, since won't be in Bangkok or Shanghai till summer, perhaps.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by barracuda93
A Megabonus one?

I also called previously and had been told these cannot be extended. Think to use it for JW Hanoi, since won't be in Bangkok or Shanghai till summer, perhaps.
I was told same.
Mega bonus no. Visa credit card annual yes.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 6:18 pm

Using ours at Marriott Village D'ile de France this upcoming summer paired with a points nights to do Disneyland Paris. Very much looking forward to it. Question, to reserve before I actually have the cert do I have to reserve a points night or can I reserve a paid night flexible rate?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Renaissance Mobile Riverview Plaza, Mobile, AL.

My cert was extended for 5 days so I could use it on this trip. Numerous reports of extensions in another thread.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 6:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Fairfield Inn Kelowna, the day before it expires.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by ennsy
Using ours at Marriott Village D'ile de France this upcoming summer paired with a points nights to do Disneyland Paris. Very much looking forward to it. Question, to reserve before I actually have the cert do I have to reserve a points night or can I reserve a paid night flexible rate?
Reserve a points night (or call and ask them to reserve the night but not issue the e-certificate yet if you need the points elsewhere). Then, when you get the cert, call back and have them attach that to the reservation and return the points you had used to book (if the e-cert was already issued). This way is safer in case reward inventory is exhausted between the time of your initial booking and the time when you earn the MegaBonus/credit card cert.
Brendan likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Carpboy823
Reserve a points night (or call and ask them to reserve the night but not issue the e-certificate yet if you need the points elsewhere). Then, when you get the cert, call back and have them attach that to the reservation and return the points you had used to book (if the e-cert was already issued). This way is safer in case reward inventory is exhausted between the time of your initial booking and the time when you earn the MegaBonus/credit card cert.
You are also protected at the correct level in case the property jumps up to a Cat. 6 before you get the certificate.
Brendan likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Carpboy823
So you can not book a cash night and then use the credit card cert for that night? I currently have a points night reserved and then the night after a cash night (there weren't two points nights in a row), will I not be able to use the cert for the cash night?
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yyc in terninal marriott for late night arrival. Beeing able to put kids in bed without going outside (near -20oC) is priceless.
Brendan likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Ennsy, either phone Marriott or go online to to book a 2-night award stay. Then click on Points & Cash to choose one night points, the other cash. Click on "Do not issue certificate," then confirm. But you'll probably have to call Marriott anyway to attach the Cat. 5 cert. to the ressie!
Old Jan 9, 2018, 3:50 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Duplicate!

Last edited by Brendan; Jan 9, 2018 at 4:15 pm Reason: Duplicate!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.