Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

How are you using your Cat 1-4/5 certs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 26, 2016, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Jaenks
Post great vacation hotels worth saving certificates for. Include the State/Country and category and reason.

Canada

Residence Inn Montreal Westmount Category 4
Located right outside the busy downtown but a quick walk or train ride away. Right near shopping center.

Malaysia:

JW Marriott Hotel Kuala Lumpur Category 4
Great value for a JW, in the heart of the city and excellent service

Phu Quoc, Vietnam:

JW Phu Quoc - Cat 5 - beautiful beachfront resort with rates from $350-$650 ++/night

Bangkok, Thailand:

Three of the full service Marriott properties are Cat 5. All three have central locations and reputation for good elite recognition:

Renaissance Ratchaprasong
Marriott Suk 57
Marriott Marquis

USA
Florida:

Courtyard Fort Lauderdale East Category 5
One of the closest hotels to the beach that is available for cert use and has a free shuttle to take you to the beach

Curacao, Netherlands Antilles:
Renaissance, DT Willemstad. Category 5.
On an ocean harbor, not a swimmable beach, but in the center of the action for nightlife, also for NYE, Mardi Gras, etc. festivities.

Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles:
Courtyard, Category 4!
Brand-new hotel. 5--10 minute walk inland from the ocean beach. It's the only major chain hotel on that island, so all other hotels are available only by paying real money.

Quito, Ecuador
JW Marriott, Category 5

Sao Paulo, Brazil
Renaissance Săo Paulo, Cat.5 Very good location,excellent quality of service,pre-confirmed suite upgrades,executive lounge F&B.
Print Wikipost

How are you using your Cat 1-4/5 certs?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2013, 7:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
You should be fine. Since one certificate posted, your account has been noted with the changed promo. They can see that you've made the necessary stays for the remaining certificates. I had to call to get my last certificate since the last two stays came on the last weekend.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Hong Kong - I used the cat 4 certs for a Jan. booking for the new CY. Price is HKD 1300 and it's hard to score LNF. So I think it's a good way to burn my cat 4 certs.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Used one for Ft. Hood TX for a midweek stay, would have been $99+tax. Used a couple of more for a weekend stay at the Courtyard Milwaukee, rate was about $139+tax/night.

I only value the Cat 4 certs at $80, however, because it most places where I'd use it, I'd be able to successfully bid $70/night for a 3.5* hotel on Priceline.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 8:39 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
I still have one Cat. 4 cert. which exp. Jan. 2014. I earned it this Jan. in the Fall/early Winter promo.
For the Summer Unexpected Bonus, I'm assigned to the Cat. 5 certs. If I earn 2, I'll use them this Sep. at the Athens Ledra. Money rate incl. tax is 180 Euros standard or 138 Euros a night non-refundable.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 5:36 am

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
Last year my certificate expired before I could find a hotel to use it at. I just received my 2013 certificate. I would have loved to use it in Manhattan in December, but unless I'm willing to go to NJ or queens or brooklyn, its useless again. I also received two free weekend nights from Hilton, any category. I wish Marriott was that generous.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 5:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
read Post #10 (2nd para.)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...l#post21246166
if you believe it!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by trekker954
Last year my certificate expired before I could find a hotel to use it at. I just received my 2013 certificate. I would have loved to use it in Manhattan in December, but unless I'm willing to go to NJ or queens or brooklyn, its useless again. I also received two free weekend nights from Hilton, any category. I wish Marriott was that generous.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 9:43 pm

Cert + Points?

My apologies if this has been addressed before. But has anyone had any luck using a Cat 1-4 cert plus points to book a higher category hotel? It sucks but the 1-4 alone (even a 1-5) is basically worthless for anywhere I go and would need a hotel. I called CS and basically said to go pound sand. It doesn't surprise me CS is unhelpful but was wondering if anyone had success with this? Thanks.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:10 pm
Suspended

this question has REPEATEDLY been asked and responded to before.........that's why there's a search function on this forum....
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...l#post21256854
so, except for one poster claiming it can be done all others, including myself, say NO WAY.........

Originally Posted by Tiberious97
My apologies if this has been addressed before. But has anyone had any luck using a Cat 1-4 cert plus points to book a higher category hotel? It sucks but the 1-4 alone (even a 1-5) is basically worthless for anywhere I go and would need a hotel. I called CS and basically said to go pound sand. It doesn't surprise me CS is unhelpful but was wondering if anyone had success with this? Thanks.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:44 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
this question has REPEATEDLY been asked and responded to before.........that's why there's a search function on this forum....
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...l#post21256854
so, except for one poster claiming it can be done all others, including myself, say NO WAY.........
Are you always this pleasant (oh wait, let me search for your past posts)? They are clearly new to the forum.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:54 am
Suspended

perhaps YOU look at how long a poster has been member of FT...............
I could care less as I only read the post and respond (accordingly).............
you can ALWAYS put me on ignore if you don't like my style!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by NDDomer86
Are you always this pleasant (oh wait, let me search for your past posts)? They are clearly new to the forum.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 8:33 am

Programs: Starwood Preferred Guest / Marriott Rewards / Delta Skymiles
We are travelling from AL to PA for a wedding. With 2 young children, we cannot make the 12 hour drive straight through. I will be using my certificate for a stay-over in a SpringHill Suites about 1/2 way through our trip.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Originally Posted by NDDomer86
That's probably the most asked (and answered) question on this entire Marriott forum. I can't blame him/her for getting a little annoyed.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:22 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
BTW I'm using my Cat 1-5 certs to actually stay in nice FS Marriott hotels. From the sounds of the complaining on here, one would think these are just entirely worthless scraps of e-paper. Yes, you can't use them in Manhattan, but other cities worth traveling to certainly exist.

I'll be using mine at the Renaissance Suites O'Hare, Marriott O'Hare, Renaissance Grand St. Louis, Marriott at the Renaissance Center Detroit, Cleveland Airport Marriott, etc.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 3:16 pm

Programs: Southwest, United, Marriott
Using my certificate at the Courtyard in Danvers, MA in two weeks.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 5:15 pm

The JW Marriott Beijing is not the best cash value but it is one of the few JWs cat 4 or lower and is a relatively nice hotel. JW Marriott Shenzhen is cat 3.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.