Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

How are you using your Cat 1-4/5 certs?

Old Jul 26, 2016, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Jaenks
Post great vacation hotels worth saving certificates for. Include the State/Country and category and reason.

Canada

Residence Inn Montreal Westmount Category 4
Located right outside the busy downtown but a quick walk or train ride away. Right near shopping center.

Malaysia:

JW Marriott Hotel Kuala Lumpur Category 4
Great value for a JW, in the heart of the city and excellent service

Phu Quoc, Vietnam:

JW Phu Quoc - Cat 5 - beautiful beachfront resort with rates from $350-$650 ++/night

Bangkok, Thailand:

Three of the full service Marriott properties are Cat 5. All three have central locations and reputation for good elite recognition:

Renaissance Ratchaprasong
Marriott Suk 57
Marriott Marquis

USA
Florida:

Courtyard Fort Lauderdale East Category 5
One of the closest hotels to the beach that is available for cert use and has a free shuttle to take you to the beach

Curacao, Netherlands Antilles:
Renaissance, DT Willemstad. Category 5.
On an ocean harbor, not a swimmable beach, but in the center of the action for nightlife, also for NYE, Mardi Gras, etc. festivities.

Bonaire, Netherlands Antilles:
Courtyard, Category 4!
Brand-new hotel. 5--10 minute walk inland from the ocean beach. It's the only major chain hotel on that island, so all other hotels are available only by paying real money.

Quito, Ecuador
JW Marriott, Category 5

Sao Paulo, Brazil
Renaissance São Paulo, Cat.5 Very good location,excellent quality of service,pre-confirmed suite upgrades,executive lounge F&B.
Print Wikipost

How are you using your Cat 1-4/5 certs?

Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by cdoobiest
Pretty much all the downtown hotels in NYC are Category 4.

Fairfield Inn Downtown East, Moxy NYC, Aloft Downtown, Residence Inn downtown, Four Points Downtown, Courtyard Downtown, AC Downtown. I don't mind Downtown. Battery Park City and Brookfield Center are great places near hotels.
This is a revelation to me - I honestly thought New York (anywhere in Manhattan) would be much higher so I don't think I even ever looked. Thank you.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:07 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
I generally use mine at the Amsterdam Courtyard at the airport. The other nights we stay book out at 170 Euro a night, so I figure thats a pretty good return.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: IHG Ambassador , Marriott platinum, United, Delta
We usually use ours for our first night in Portland Or, at the Hyatt Place airport. Not the most exciting place but one of the only hotels I have found that sleep five on a award night,
We can get a 2Q with sofa bed which saves the cost of two rooms the first night.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 3:56 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador , Marriott platinum, United, Delta
Originally Posted by bdschobel
You must be remembering that wrong. Hyatt hotels won’t accept Marriott certificates.

Bruce
Oops free hyatt night
Old Sep 16, 2018, 2:23 pm

Is it possible to use points to upgrade a free night up to 25000 points voucher to a higher point hotel?
Old Sep 16, 2018, 3:28 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by slidey
Is it possible to use points to upgrade a free night up to 25000 points voucher to a higher point hotel?
No. I wish. But no.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Well I'm still confused.

I had called a while back to make the certificate reservation by phone, Was told all was fine. The reservation just shows number of points, so I called the hotel to see what they had on their end. She said it "looked" like a certificate reservation, because "whatever" (her words) was attached expires September 5, 2019.

Problem is, I received this certificate (Chase 1-5) on June 27, 2018, so an expiration date of Sept. 5, 2019 makes no sense.

So I looked under Activity on my account and sure enough, it says I have a certificate that expires Sept 5, 2019. So is it attached to this reservation or not? If it was attached, would it not have disappeared from my Activity list? And why does it have such a random expiration date?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 5:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I need a hotel at BWI later this month and the placeholder I'd booked (the Aloft) turned out to have really bad reviews. I used mine for the Westin BWI which I've stayed at before and like and was going for $261.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by Eujeanie

So I looked under Activity on my account and sure enough, it says I have a certificate that expires Sept 5, 2019. So is it attached to this reservation or not? If it was attached, would it not have disappeared from my Activity list? And why does it have such a random expiration date?
IME an attached certificate will disappear from your activity list. Just call Marriott Bonvoy customer service and have them check it for you. This way there's no confusion (hopefully).
Old Jul 4, 2019, 11:07 pm
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Used my Cat 5 free night (Titanium Gift) for StRegis bbk.
Old Jul 5, 2019, 2:03 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by xar
Used my Cat 5 free night (Titanium Gift) for StRegis bbk.
can you elaborate on the Titanium gift? I’m Titanium too but didn’t get one? I only have a cat 5 cert from Amex
Old Jul 5, 2019, 4:10 am
kkl

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes

can you elaborate on the Titanium gift? I’m Titanium too but didn’t get one? I only have a cat 5 cert from Amex
one of the options instead of SNA
Old Jul 5, 2019, 5:50 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by CMK10
I need a hotel at BWI later this month and the placeholder I'd booked (the Aloft) turned out to have really bad reviews. I used mine for the Westin BWI which I've stayed at before and like and was going for $261.
I wouldn’t recommend the Aloft by BWI. There’s a reason why I see it go for $50-60 on average.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 8:16 am
xar

Programs: Starriott Plat Premier
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes

at 50 nights (Platinum) you can choose awards such as x5 SNA, 5 elite night credit etc...
at 75 nights (Titanum) one of the awards you can choose is a free night award (up to 40k pts)
Google "Marriott’s Choice Benefits" for the full details
Old Jul 6, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
I used three 35,000 point certs for the Athenee in Bangkok. Applied three SNAs and received a corner Athenee suite for the three nights. Staff went above and beyond for a birthday celebration. Nine thumbs up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.