Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Threadneedles, Autograph Collection (London, UK) [Master Thread]

Threadneedles, Autograph Collection (London, UK) [Master Thread]

Old May 27, 13, 10:55 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Canary Wharf, London
Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Posts: 2,480
Threadneedles, Autograph Collection (London, UK) [Master Thread]

Threadneedles
Just back from a one night stay here. Quite quiet as it's a bank holiday weekend. Upgraded to an executive room due to Gold status. Very clean. Blackout curtains that performed very well in the morning. I couldn't tell if it was daylight or not. Couldn't hear any street noise.

Some minor issues - Very noisy air con. Had to turn it off to sleep. At 00:45 the plumbing started making loud noises, like someone was filling the bath. Lasted about 10 mins. Didn't hear it again. Light switches hidden behind bedside lamp and no easy to reach power sockets by the bed. The iPod dock was the older sort and no cable to use any other mp3 device. Not sure I'd want to touch the books and magazines next to the toilet.

All the staff seemed happy enough and breakfast was of good quality in the restaurant. Too many tables squeezed in. I wouldn't pay 22.50 for it though!

Last edited by chistery; May 27, 13 at 1:46 pm Reason: added title to main post
chistery is offline  
Old May 27, 13, 2:45 pm
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Posts: 68,586
Originally Posted by chistery View Post
Threadneedles
Just back from a one night stay here. Quite quiet as it's a bank holiday weekend. Upgraded to an executive room due to Gold status. Very clean. Blackout curtains that performed very well in the morning. I couldn't tell if it was daylight or not. Couldn't hear any street noise.

Some minor issues - Very noisy air con. Had to turn it off to sleep. At 00:45 the plumbing started making loud noises, like someone was filling the bath. Lasted about 10 mins. Didn't hear it again. Light switches hidden behind bedside lamp and no easy to reach power sockets by the bed. The iPod dock was the older sort and no cable to use any other mp3 device. Not sure I'd want to touch the books and magazines next to the toilet.

All the staff seemed happy enough and breakfast was of good quality in the restaurant. Too many tables squeezed in. I wouldn't pay 22.50 for it though!
Thanks for the update. Since it's the first report we've had on this property, hopefully the mod will spin it off into its own thread to make it easier for search & because it's not a comparison post.

So it sounds like you received breakfast in the restaurant since there was no lounge? If so, I'll update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.
SkiAdcock is offline  
Old May 27, 13, 3:39 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Canary Wharf, London
Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Posts: 2,480
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
Thanks for the update. Since it's the first report we've had on this property, hopefully the mod will spin it off into its own thread to make it easier for search & because it's not a comparison post.

So it sounds like you received breakfast in the restaurant since there was no lounge? If so, I'll update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.
I'm sure it was in it's own thread and now seems to have been merged into this one.

Yes, breakfast was in the restaurant. I was handed a breakfast menu with only two options on it, not the full one they feature on the web site. There was no offer of pastries or toast, I was just given toast. It's possible I just received a reduced service due to the holidays or because breakfast was free as a gold, I don't know.
chistery is offline  
Old May 27, 13, 5:03 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Winter Garden, FL
Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Posts: 13,498
Originally Posted by chistery View Post
I'm sure it was in it's own thread and now seems to have been merged into this one....
Nope. But it's in its own thread now.

Bruce
Moderator
bdschobel is offline  
Old May 28, 13, 1:51 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: BOS
Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Posts: 1,674
How is the location?
BostonFlyer1624 is offline  
Old May 28, 13, 3:18 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Canary Wharf, London
Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Posts: 2,480
Originally Posted by BostonFlyer1624 View Post
How is the location?
It's a few minutes walk from Bank Station, so you can get to it easily. DLR from London City Airport, or Northern line from Kings Cross, for example all go to Bank Station, which is on the Central Line, DLR, Northern Line, Waterloo & City, and Circle and District line is a short walk away too. Plenty of bus routes will get you anywhere you need to 24 hours a day.

It's right in the middle of the City of London, so if you're there for business, everywhere is a short walk away. Not much happens at weekends and a lot of the bars and restaurants will be shut, which makes it a lovely area to be in and just wander round and look at all the history sourrounding you, but you can walk to St Pauls, Southbank, Tower Bridge, etc very easily, so there's also plenty to do nearby. Area is safe enough. There's a new shopping centre about 5 mins walk away, One New Change with a great roof terrace overlooking St Pauls.
chistery is offline  
Old Aug 21, 13, 12:44 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Scotland
Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Posts: 2,442
I stayed there this week and was impressed.

Great location for the City of London, close to Bank station, on a relatively quiet street. My first impression was good. Lovely entrance hall and public areas with a fantastic domed glass cupola ceiling. Low desk for check in with seats for guests.

I was upgraded to a suite which was very nice although not as large or grand as suites in some other London hotels. Bedroom with separate sitting area, nice bathroom with shower and tub. iPod dock and Nespresso machines also available.

No lounge but at check-in I was asked if I wanted still or sparking water and a large bottle, along with a bucket of ice and glasses was waiting for me when I came back to the room in the evening.

Breakfast in the restaurant is to order and the grill I had was excellent, although being made to order, it did take a while to come and if I had been in my usual grab and go breakfast mode, I would have been unhappy, but fortunately I did have time to enjoy the food and surroundings.

In summary, it isn't my favourite London Marriott (I'm torn between GH and RStP there), but certainly somewhere that I'd stay if I needed to be close to the city.
thegoderic is offline  
Old Aug 21, 13, 1:11 pm
  #8  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Posts: 68,586
Thanks for the update!

Cheers.
SkiAdcock is offline  
Old Aug 21, 13, 8:57 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: BOS
Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Posts: 1,674
Originally Posted by thegoderic View Post
...it isn't my favourite London Marriott (I'm torn between GH and RStP there)...
As am I...leaning towards St. Pancras.
BostonFlyer1624 is offline  
Old Feb 6, 15, 5:23 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 158
Does anyone who stayed here remember if there is a fitness center, and if so, any free weights?

I stayed here almost 5 years ago just for one night, but the only thing I can recall is that the rain shower was impressive.

The website doesn't state one but lists nearby fitness activities, but then it also had a "fitness center" section that was blank. I'm confused because tripadvisor also listed fitness center as an amenity.

I'm thinking about giving up Marriott point earning potential to stay at a different hotel with a fitness center.
giceh is offline  
Old Feb 7, 15, 9:22 am
  #11  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Posts: 68,586
Do you have Skype? Perhaps call the property directly & ask them. If they don't have one, they might have an arrangement with a neighborhood fitness center (which might have better facilities).

Cheers.
SkiAdcock is offline  
Old Mar 15, 17, 12:52 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: SJC/SFO (previously BNE, SIN, SHA/PVG)
Programs: UA GS, Marriott TE, National EE, Hertz PC, Global Entry/TSA-Pre, APEC BTC
Posts: 161
I'm staying here next week. What's the easiest (emphasis easiest, not cheapest) way to get to and from LHR? Car service is a little excessive at 125 pounds. Any estimate on a taxi fare price?
unitedhandcuffs is offline  
Old Mar 15, 17, 5:56 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: London
Programs: BAEC, EK Skywards, WY Sindbad, Marriott 'Bonvoy' :/, IHG Rewards, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
Posts: 3,444
Originally Posted by unitedhandcuffs View Post
I'm staying here next week. What's the easiest (emphasis easiest, not cheapest) way to get to and from LHR? Car service is a little excessive at 125 pounds. Any estimate on a taxi fare price?
A standard Uber from Heathrow would likely be 40-50 assuming no surge pricing and is probably the 'easiest' way to get there that isn't excessively expensive. Black cab would probably be somewhere in the region of 80+ (overpriced in my opinion).

I work just down the road from this hotel and usually opt for a Heathrow Express advance ticket and then an Uber from Paddington as this is the quickest way, if you book the HEX in advance it is also cheaper than an Uber all the way there. If you just buy a walk-up ticket for the HEX it probably won't work out much cheaper than just getting an Uber the entire way.

Wheely (more upmarket version of Uber) is also a good option - you can book in advance and get an S-Class (or equivalent) for fixed price of 80 or E-Class (or equivalent) for 60 to EC1.

Last edited by lost_in_translation; Mar 15, 17 at 6:01 am
lost_in_translation is online now  
Old Mar 15, 17, 6:20 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: SJC/SFO (previously BNE, SIN, SHA/PVG)
Programs: UA GS, Marriott TE, National EE, Hertz PC, Global Entry/TSA-Pre, APEC BTC
Posts: 161
Much appreciated LIT
unitedhandcuffs is offline  
Old Mar 15, 17, 7:13 am
  #15  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Posts: 68,586
Originally Posted by unitedhandcuffs View Post
I'm staying here next week.
If you could do a trip report after your stay, it would be appreciated. We haven't had an update lately.

Cheers.
SkiAdcock is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: