Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Gaslamp (San Diego, CA) [Master Thread]

Marriott Gaslamp (San Diego, CA) [Master Thread]

Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:07 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Sorry, Kacee. I honestly feel bad that you chose the hotel in part due to my recommendation, and that it has left you so disappointed.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:18 am

I haven't stayed at this property for about 6 years so I won't comment on the status of the carpet, furnishings. but it is a great location with the ballpark and gaslight district restaurants and nightlife within easy walking distance. I stayed at this hotel often and liked that it wasn't a huge convention hotel like the Marquis.

"The Broken Yolk" around the corner from the hotel is a much better and cheaper breakfast option on days when their is continental breakfast in the lounge.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Kacee
Staying here because the Marquis was over $600/night.

This place is awful. They "upgraded" me to a King suite with tiny gun slit windows...
When I stay at the Gaslamp Marriott, I explicitly ask *not* to be upgraded to a King suite because, to my knowledge, they're all that type. The corner junior suites are great but I avoid the full suites because they're so dark even in the middle of the day, whereas the normal rooms have such great views.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Huh. Surprised to hear the negative review(s). The only reason I'm not here more is 'cause I can usually get better rates in Hotel Circle or Old Town, but I like the place, personally. LOVE the rooftop bar!
Old Aug 9, 2017, 8:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Sorry, Kacee. I honestly feel bad that you chose the hotel in part due to my recommendation, and that it has left you so disappointed.
Thanks, I'll get over it

And it's not like there were materially better choices . . . Westin Gaslamp was the other option. Westin downtown was sold out. Marquis and Hyatt were over $600. Not a fan of the Hiltons or the Grant.

Originally Posted by Leisuremiles
it is a great location with the ballpark and gaslight district restaurants and nightlife within easy walking distance.
Yes, the location is better than the Marquis. It seemed reasonably quiet for the gaslamp.

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
When I stay at the Gaslamp Marriott, I explicitly ask *not* to be upgraded to a King suite because, to my knowledge, they're all that type. The corner junior suites are great but I avoid the full suites because they're so dark even in the middle of the day, whereas the normal rooms have such great views.
The room was really depressing and that certainly contributed to my negative experience. The thing about getting upgraded to a crappy suite is, I didn't want to sound ungrateful asking for a better room.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:53 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Any update on this place since 2017? I have a four night stay this week... got free parking and a fairly low rate for Gaslamp so couldn't pass it up.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 8:00 pm

Still my favorite San Diego property. Great location, nice F&B venues, decent lounge, and Ritz-level customer service.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 10:56 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Still my favorite San Diego property. Great location, nice F&B venues, decent lounge, and Ritz-level customer service.
Thanks DJ_Iceman. Hopefully the F&B is decent... I may have Thanksgiving dinner there I hear the rooftop bar is cool.

WIll report back after my stay.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by bigshooter
Thanks DJ_Iceman. Hopefully the F&B is decent... I may have Thanksgiving dinner there I hear the rooftop bar is cool.

WIll report back after my stay.
Looking forward to it. My family has enjoyed Thanksgiving dinner at soleil@k several times, and it's always been great. The rooftop bar is fantastic, too!
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by bigshooter
Any update on this place since 2017? I have a four night stay this week... got free parking and a fairly low rate for Gaslamp so couldn't pass it up.
How did you manage to get free parking? I was told over the phone $48/night during new years time. Will likely just park at the garage across the street and uber/lyft everywhere.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 12:13 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hitman1420
How did you manage to get free parking? I was told over the phone $48/night during new years time. Will likely just park at the garage across the street and uber/lyft everywhere.
Haven't stayed at this property before, but in searching for rates at San Diego properties in the past, I have seen AAA rates for the Marriott Gaslamp that include free (valet) parking.
Old Dec 29, 2018, 7:16 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by ryw
Haven't stayed at this property before, but in searching for rates at San Diego properties in the past, I have seen AAA rates for the Marriott Gaslamp that include free (valet) parking.
Both times I've stayed at this hotel, I've been able to secure that rate (AAA hot deal). Great rate - $110/night, valet parking included.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:21 am

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Both times I've stayed at this hotel, I've been able to secure that rate (AAA hot deal). Great rate - $110/night, valet parking included.
I used AAA rate as well. In fact I signed up for AAA just for that trip, but have used it elsewhere since.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 1:50 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Good Hotel for Children and Families?

Going to San Diego in July with my wife, son and mother and father in law. How is this hotel for children? Like the proximity to Petco and waterfront area.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, National Exec Elite, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mh3265a
How is this hotel for children? Like the proximity to Petco and waterfront area.
The hotel is very close to Petco -- maybe a block from the gates and some of its rooms look out over the park. It's three or four blocks from the Convention Center on the waterfront. The only issue with kids on the walk down is the at-grade light rail crossing.but that actually looks worse on the map than in real life and does not really impede the ability to walk to the water.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.