Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa [Master Thread]

Old May 22, 13, 10:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, RCplatinum, Hyatt diamond

Checked in today and was told I was upgraded to a "suite". Walked into the room and thought wow. Nice living room with dining room table. Uh oh, where is the bedroom? Took a minute to realize there wasn't, just a Murphy bed. Seriously? Upgrade? Maybe I've just been lucky or I am not travel savvy enough but I've never seen a Murphy bed outside of a movie. Even less impressed after I pulled my bed down.
Old May 22, 13, 10:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
should be a king in the other room.......
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hote...esort-and-spa/
1 Bedroom Suite, Bedroom 1: 1 King Murphy, Bedroom 2: 1 King, Bathrooms: 2 View Details

Originally Posted by nccarguy View Post

Checked in today and was told I was upgraded to a "suite". Walked into the room and thought wow. Nice living room with dining room table. Uh oh, where is the bedroom? Took a minute to realize there wasn't, just a Murphy bed. Seriously? Upgrade? Maybe I've just been lucky or I am not travel savvy enough but I've never seen a Murphy bed outside of a movie. Even less impressed after I pulled my bed down.
Old May 22, 13, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BKKLEE View Post
should be a king in the other room.......
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/hote...esort-and-spa/
1 Bedroom Suite, Bedroom 1: 1 King Murphy, Bedroom 2: 1 King, Bathrooms: 2 View Details
Too bad the door is locked to the "bedroom" I can now confirm a Murphy bed s*cks. Maybe I can be "downgraded" to a real room tomorrow.
Old May 23, 13, 7:56 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Do you have two keys, to two different rooms?

I had an amazing upgrade last time I was there. When I first got to my room I was a little disappointed as the key opened up a room that appeared to be a standard king. The connecting door was locked, so I was a little miffed that I was told I had an upgrade. I looked at my key packet and noticed two room numbers were written down. I walked out of my room and down to the next door. When I opened it, I was blown away! The corner room had a large living room with dinning room table, sectional sofa, gas fireplace, wraparound balcony, wetbar, large bathroom with jetted tub and separate shower, and long hallway that led back to the king bedroom. Thoroughly enjoyed the room and to make the stay even better, BMW was offering a resort test drive. I got to drive a $100K convertible around San Antonio for three hours. One of my best Marriott stays to date.

Hope OP gets a better room or the connecting door open.

Regards,

RIP...
Old May 23, 13, 10:27 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

I assume you're talking about JW Hill Country? If so, we got the same type of room when we stayed there in April. It was described as an 'upgrade'.

The bed wasn't too bad actually, just a little low.

Maybe they're now splitting the suites and selling as 2 rooms?

We only got keys for the one room.
Old May 23, 13, 10:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

I had a suite at the JW Desert Ridge that had a murphy bed. Same w/ Marriott New Orleans. I didn't mind them. The JW was actually a very nice suite. The Marriott NO was more like a biz suite where you'd hold mtgs & lot of space; great views though.

Cheers.
Old May 23, 13, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Sounds like you were given the hospitality suite and not an actual real room....
Old May 23, 13, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Ask front desk to be moved this morning. Asked what type of room I wanted and explained just wanted a standard room with a bed that was just a bed and didn't transform into anything. Got the big suite with wrap around balcony. Of course I'm on business alone and this seems like a waste but sincerely appreciate the new room.

Don't know that the Murphy bed was worse than a regular bed but can tell you it was like getting out of my waterbed in college. I'm either too tall or my knee is too old. Those rooms really should not be touted as an upgrade.
Old Sep 6, 13, 8:00 am

Not sure if anyone else wants to try but I just stayed at this resort 2 weeks ago and booked a room online with a government rate ($109/night). I was ready to present my employee ID on check-in but the service rep never asked for it. Lots of $110/night rooms available in December for their holiday event
Old Sep 13, 13, 11:06 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa

Does anyone know if they keep the water park open around Halloween? Booked a two night escape there and might change my booking if the resort amenities are going to be closed.
Old Sep 13, 13, 6:54 pm

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Muerz View Post
Does anyone know if they keep the water park open around Halloween? Booked a two night escape there and might change my booking if the resort amenities are going to be closed.
I was there last year October 14 - 17 and the pools and lazy river were open until 6:00pm everyday. The best thing to do is call the hotel directly and ask.

Regards,

RIP...
Old Oct 12, 13, 11:39 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Singapore Airlines
I'm there right now since my mom's got a conference. The lazy river's open.
Old Nov 5, 13, 9:59 am

No breakfast or anything special

I am staying at the JW Hill Country now for 5 nights. My room is a std on the top floor (9th), no upgrade, no breakfast or anything. I am a Platinum elite. Did you guys get anything staying at the hotel? The marriott elite benefits do not apply to resorts, correct?
Old Nov 5, 13, 3:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa

Stayed there last week, also as a Plat. No elite recognition whatsoever, not even an upgrade to resort view from standard view. Not even a reduced resort fee, where you pay for things that elites (internet, water...) get as part of their status.

I was a bit disappointed by the treatment considering the hotel seemed empty. I was at the pool two days and met around 20 people altogether. The self parking lot was nearly empty during my entire stay as well and lobby lounge hours were cut back to 10 pm, pool bar hours from 12 to 3 pm.

All in all a nice property considering the grounds and rooms but certainly not up to par as far as elites are concerned.
Old Nov 13, 13, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Elite benefits in terms of upgrades, points, and free internet apply at resorts. The breakfast benefit does not unfortunately.
The hotel should've recognized you and provided an upgrade if available (which it sounds like there are plenty of rooms to do so).

Search this Thread
Search Engine: