Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points Penang, Malaysia [No longer a Marriott Brand Hotel]

Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 1, 18, 11:41 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Wiki Link
No longer part of Marriott as of 9/30/18. Being rebranded as a Mecure.
Print Wikipost

Old May 13, 13, 8:12 am
cln
Original Poster

Programs: TK E+, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Dusit Gold

It is listed on spg.com but not "clickable" yet.

Opening is schedulded for August 2013....

anyone has info about this property ?
Old May 13, 13, 9:17 pm

Programs: SPG-LTP
REPOSITIONING: To be operated by Starwood, the new hotel promises world class standards.

Penang’s bustling hospitality market is set to welcome another distinguished brand with the launch of Four Points by Sheraton in August this year. Local property developer Plenitude Berhad which owns the existing 220-room Tanjung Bungah Beach Hotel is expected to complete renovations at the hotel which will turn it into a Four Points by Sheraton Hotel by August. The hotel has been closed since July last year to facilitate the conversion which is estimated to cost RM35 million.

Starwood Hotels & Resor ts Worldwide, Inc., one of the leading hotel and leisure companies in the world will be operating the hotel. The hotel operator sees conversion of existing hotels as a new growth channel for Starwood worldwide.

“Conversion is exciting and the Four Points by Sheraton Penang conversion highlights our ability to quickly reposition existing assets in a cost-effective manner,” said Matthew Fry, Senior Vice President, Acquisition & Development, Asia Pacific, Starwood Hotels & Resorts.

“Many well-located but under-branded hotels represent enormous repositioning potential, and we have developed a conversion-friendly strategy, backed by Starwood’s powerful platform, for existing hotels to meet both owner and guest demand,” said the Starwood senior vice president. Starwood currently manages 11 hotels and resorts in Malaysia spanning Kuala Lumpur, Langkawi, Kota Kinabalu, Sandakan and Kuching.

‘Colour and energy’
“We are delighted to be partnering with Starwood, a world renowned brand, on this particular project. Their reputation and professionalism in managing world-class hotels and resorts will certainly bode well in lifting the asset value of our property,” said Elsie Chua, Executive Chairman of Plenitude. Chua added that Four Points by Sheraton will add colour and energy to the hospitality industry in Penang and contribute to the growth of their business in Penang. Chua was speaking during a signing ceremony between Plenitude and Starwood last Friday.

Increased returns
The chairman added that prior to its closure for renovations, Tanjung Bungah Beach Hotel had an estimated occupancy rate of between 50 and 60 per cent with an average room rate (ARR) of RM130. With the hotel’s complete transformation and the Four Points by Sheraton brand offerings, she has high expectations that both the occupancy rates and ARR will improve to give good returns.

Some of the new hotel’s offerings will include two food and beverage venues, a specialty restaurant, a bar, 984 square feet of meeting space spanning over three venues, swimming pool, fitness centre as well as the Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) programme, one of the industry’s leading guest loyalty programmes. By Khairul Khalid

Source: New Straits Times
Old Jul 29, 13, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Expl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
My wife and I plan on visiting Penang/Georgetown on vacation next year. Does anyone have any sense of how good/bad the hotel's location is for tourists, especially for visiting Georgetown and in terms of how nice its beach is? The hotel's website says that it is 15 minutes away from Georgetown, but hotel websites tend to discount traffic. The site identifies the hotel as a "resort", but could well be using that term loosely. And I'd assume that a beach in a big city wouldn't be so nice, especially since it looks like the hotel is right off of a major road.

FWIW, here's the address:

505 Jalan Tanjung Bungah,
Tanjung Bungah
Penang,

Thanks for any help!
Old Jul 29, 13, 5:29 pm

Would like to know too...we may be headed there in November.
Old Jul 30, 13, 2:01 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, MR Gold
I would say location are just OK. Its located in between Batu Feringhi (Popular beach location) and Georgetown (Capital). As for the beach, its golden sand and I don't think swim-able beach as its brownish water.
Old Jul 30, 13, 2:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM 1K, UK Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb
Its between Batu Firangi and old town. Nice area about 20mins by taxi (8~10 miles) from Penang Airport. You will like. I prefer Batu Ferangi any time over old town/George town.
Old Jul 30, 13, 3:14 am
cln
Original Poster

the water doesn't look that bad... but of course there are nicer beachers

i hope it wont be a desaster as the Four Points Langkawi

Last edited by cln; Jul 30, 13 at 3:25 am Reason: the water doesn't look that bad... but of course there are nicer beachers ;)
Old Jul 30, 13, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Expl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks for the information, folks.

Originally Posted by specialeffects View Post
Its between Batu Firangi and old town. Nice area about 20mins by taxi (8~10 miles) from Penang Airport. You will like. I prefer Batu Ferangi any time over old town/George town.
I'm curious, especially since I don't know much at all about Penang yet: Why do you like Batu Ferangi better? Besides being by the water, would there be anything else appealing about the hotel's location: nearby restaurants, shops, whatever?
Old Jul 30, 13, 2:02 pm
cln
Original Poster

i have 6 nights booked there, but a local friend strongly recommended to book a hotel directly in Georgetown...

more information about hotel location would be appreciated..
i think there are some restaurants around but the area is not great... ( only what i have heard :P ) first hand information would be nice...

If the location is really not that great i will cut the stay and stay some nights in Georgetown... dont want to be stuck at the hotel or sit in a cab everyday.
Penang food is said to be awesome...

Four Points by Sheraton Penang
July 16
Four Points by Sheraton Four Comfort Bed™ has finally arrived!
( taken from their facebook page )

Last edited by cln; Jul 30, 13 at 2:07 pm
Old Jul 30, 13, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your friend's advice might well make sense, cln. Still, I'll be very curious to see any reviews that come in here and at tripadvisor after the place opens.
Old Jul 31, 13, 12:01 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Thunderroad View Post
Thanks for the information, folks.

I'm curious, especially since I don't know much at all about Penang yet: Why do you like Batu Ferangi better? Besides being by the water, would there be anything else appealing about the hotel's location: nearby restaurants, shops, whatever?
Batu Feringghi better because it have all the tourist/traveler needs. Convenient shop everywhere, a lot of great hawker fare, nice selection of restaurant, 1km stretch of night market every night, abundant of spa and easy access to Teluk Bahang attraction like Spice Garden, Penang National Park etc etc.

While the location of FP Penang are almost the same as FP Langkawi with bit better maybe. There are 1 food court across the road and 15-20min (maybe more) walk to the mini town which you can find bank, convenient store etc etc.
Old Jul 31, 13, 7:17 am
cln
Original Poster

Thank you Putra !
Old Aug 12, 13, 1:54 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, SPG Plat, HGVC, AsiaMiles
I think staying in either Batu Ferringhi or Georgetown depends entirely on what you want from your vacation.

For a beach-type vacation obviously BF is best....great beaches, very nice resorts, water activities, etc. However you will be surrounded by other tourists and mostly the shopping/eating opportunities will be catering solely to tourists.

If you want culture (tons and tons of it!) then stay in Georgetown. The food is fantastic everywhere, street art, architecture, museums, churches, temples, mosques, markets.....all within easy walking distance.

In some ways, the new Four Points is great since it is situated between the two but it does mean you'll be taxi-ing to either. However, it's great for us. Having lived in Penang for 9 months it means we can get in our SPG stays without having to fly to Langkawi so often.
Old Aug 12, 13, 3:06 am

Programs: SKF, ROP, SPG, SL Golden Circle, Hyatt Gold Passport, Marriot
And it's a Cat 1 hotel.
Old Aug 12, 13, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by llandaff View Post
I think staying in either Batu Ferringhi or Georgetown depends entirely on what you want from your vacation.

For a beach-type vacation obviously BF is best....great beaches, very nice resorts, water activities, etc. However you will be surrounded by other tourists and mostly the shopping/eating opportunities will be catering solely to tourists.

If you want culture (tons and tons of it!) then stay in Georgetown. The food is fantastic everywhere, street art, architecture, museums, churches, temples, mosques, markets.....all within easy walking distance.

In some ways, the new Four Points is great since it is situated between the two but it does mean you'll be taxi-ing to either. However, it's great for us. Having lived in Penang for 9 months it means we can get in our SPG stays without having to fly to Langkawi so often.
Thanks for this very useful info. Since we're going on to Langkawi after Penang, the appeal of Penang is much more about Georgetown than Batu Ferringhi's beaches. So, yeah, guess it makes more sense to spend all or most of our time right in Gtown. Still, might give the Four Points a try for a night or two if we check out other parts of the greater Penang area.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: