Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz Carlton, Orlando [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ritz Carlton, Orlando [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2018, 2:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I was at the JW this past December for 7 nights and received an upgrade to a Grande Suite. It was very roomy and even had a kitchenette. While it was a bit on the cool side to go swimming, I did like the JW pool area with its Lazy river better than the RC pool area.
Thank you - I changed our booking from the Ritz to the JW.
FlightNurse likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:44 pm

I was at the JW this past December for 7 nights and received an upgrade to a Grande Suite. It was very roomy and even had a kitchenette. While it was a bit on the cool side to go swimming, I did like the JW pool area with its Lazy river better than the RC pool area.
Dec/Jan is lowest occupancy, so that is not a good data point right now for upgrades.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 7:38 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sig05
Dec/Jan is lowest occupancy, so that is not a good data point right now for upgrades.
In terms of availability, you are probably correct, but it does show that if they have the suites available, they will upgrade. And also as I mentioned, personally, I liked the pool at the JW better than the RC. Now since I haven't stayed at the RC, I can't comment on how nice/plush the rooms are compared to the JW, but if it were me, I'd probably go with the JW over the RC unless the RC was significantly less expensive.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
In terms of availability, you are probably correct, but it does show that if they have the suites available, they will upgrade. And also as I mentioned, personally, I liked the pool at the JW better than the RC. Now since I haven't stayed at the RC, I can't comment on how nice/plush the rooms are compared to the JW, but if it were me, I'd probably go with the JW over the RC unless the RC was significantly less expensive.
For me it's about the Benefits one gets, and if the OP is PLT with Marriot, then it's a no-brainer, plus a chance of getting upgraded is icing on the cake.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 11:34 am

I've stayed at both and spend 15-20 nights/year at the RC. If you are using the RC club upgrade cert or using points and paying the club upgrade fee ($200), I would stay at RC. Yes, the JW has a better pool and is 2-3x the size of RC. However, you can use the amenities of each property regardless of where you're staying.

If I didn't stay Club, I agree with you and stay at JW. The RC rooms aren't bad, but they are tired.

If you're staying at the JW, I would walk down to RC to check out the new lobby. They did a nice job, and it's pretty cool when they open the sliding windows.
Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:45 am

Programs: Avis Trump. Costco Exec. SPG PLAT PREM-90. WN A+/CP. AA SLV. Nat EE..
As a friendly reminder this is not very convenient to Disney. Also, here is a pic of the “free” shuttle the RC provides (as part of your resort fee). Well I can’t seem to upload via mobile without error but needless to say it looked like they bought a used UHAUL van, repainted it a couple years ago, never washed it and also never fixed anything broken inside like panels, and a seatbelt, or carpet. You did have the option of sitting in a really stained seat or a really stained seat with holes in it. They’re on Yelp if you can sift through all the corporate posted ones that dilute from the user photos.

Edit:More memories being jogged here. I’ve eaten at every restaurant on site and they were all great. Highball Great, Primo on the JW side, still the best Italian in Orlando. BUT last time I stayed, with no advance notice, their flagship restaurant, Norman’s, was closed and fully reserved for a private event which was annoying but again I haven’t had a bad meal on property. I also had an issue at the pool with lack of service on the last day. Long story short it had been storming pretty hard mid-day but was completrly fine and sunny by about 4 so after frustratingly having to go to the front desk in just a bathing suit (no towels either) manager was super nice and explained they had sent them home thinking it wouldn’t clear up. I REALLY appreciate honesty instead of lies and garbage excuses. That alone really changed our view of the trip and I think they realized the staffing mistake and really would prevent it from happening again.

The JW lazy river pool is very nice and great for the kids. The location is still funky I think as it’s 30min away from Disney. Golf is top notch as expected. And my room, while as a PLAT was not upgraded was nicely finished and typical of the newer RC’s.

Last edited by ucfjoe; Apr 7, 2018 at 6:09 am
Old Oct 31, 2020, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Anyone experienced the club here during Covid? Is it buffet single serving portions? Wine machine? Just breakfast and lunch or evening snacks too?
Old Nov 1, 2020, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Anyone experienced the club here during Covid? Is it buffet single serving portions? Wine machine? Just breakfast and lunch or evening snacks too?
Yes, I was there a few weeks ago. Here are the notable changes in policy:

- I believe the Club (on the 14th floor) has closed for renovation for 6-8 weeks. I was told Club would move down to the first floor and outside of the hotel (i.e., you have to walk out towards the spa between RC and JW).
- Those two small fridges by the door with water/soda and beer are self -serve. Every other drink is served from the back, including the wine station.
- I believe the policy during the week is for lunch to be served from a 4 item selection from Highball and Harvest. Dinner is served buffet style generally from the back kids/tv room. On the Saturday night I was there, they served sushi from the normal dining stations in the main room.
Breakfast is the same and served in the back room...eggs, bacon, etc. Pastries, fruit, and yogurt are individually packaged so you can grab at your leisure.
- Lots of wipes and hand sanitizer.
- You have to wear a mask when moving and it is enforced.
- Club floor is limited to 20 rooms - believe there are 44 available.

Also, apparently the entire hotel is undergoing a renovation with the new owners. I didn't see any evidence of construction work during my stay, so I assume it was guest rooms.
SkyTeam777 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2020, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I was really impressed with the offering at a time when most club lounges are closed. The hotel is making a solid effort for sure. Buffet with single-serving portions open on weekends. Lunch presentation is ordered a la carte from the restaurant all day long. Full beverage spread and generously poured and refilled. During the week, all food presentations are ordered from the restaurant menu downstairs so the quantity is enormous and unlimited. A definite bargain if you're willing to tip the lounge staff appropriately; they work their butts off bringing it from downstairs on a limited staff.

That said, I've never been to a RC lounge so accustomed to take away service, people walking out with bags of wine bottles and food plus takeaway drinks provided (surely with a tip). Surely that's not standard practice, but as with every other excuse in the book these days, let me guess. Covid-induced changes?!

Either way, club lounge gets two thumbs up here as does the entire hotel staff.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I was really impressed with the offering at a time when most club lounges are closed. The hotel is making a solid effort for sure. Buffet with single-serving portions open on weekends. Lunch presentation is ordered a la carte from the restaurant all day long. Full beverage spread and generously poured and refilled. During the week, all food presentations are ordered from the restaurant menu downstairs so the quantity is enormous and unlimited. A definite bargain if you're willing to tip the lounge staff appropriately; they work their butts off bringing it from downstairs on a limited staff.

That said, I've never been to a RC lounge so accustomed to take away service, people walking out with bags of wine bottles and food plus takeaway drinks provided (surely with a tip). Surely that's not standard practice, but as with every other excuse in the book these days, let me guess. Covid-induced changes?!

Either way, club lounge gets two thumbs up here as does the entire hotel staff.
Pre-COVID, I would visit this property about 10 times per year. Getting a to-go cup here is standard practice and is not frowned upon at many RC Clubs. I've seen people grab a full bottle or bring a cooler and fill with drinks, but that is pretty rare and gets discussed by the staff. I usually grab one drink when I leave for the night. I think as long as you don't abuse it, no one is going to say anything.

The only place where I've seen enforcement is Grand Cayman. I'm talking about taking one small water and was told nothing can leave the Club.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sig05
Pre-COVID, I would visit this property about 10 times per year. Getting a to-go cup here is standard practice and is not frowned upon at many RC Clubs. I've seen people grab a full bottle or bring a cooler and fill with drinks, but that is pretty rare and gets discussed by the staff. I usually grab one drink when I leave for the night. I think as long as you don't abuse it, no one is going to say anything.

The only place where I've seen enforcement is Grand Cayman. I'm talking about taking one small water and was told nothing can leave the Club.
I had also never seen so much tipping at a club lounge than here. It was super discreet and the staff is AMAZING. Perhaps I was just more aware since it wasn't very busy, but everyone tipped. Again, super discreet, and the staff was always so gracious and grateful. Is tipping standard practice in other lounges and perhaps I didn't notice?
Old Apr 29, 2021, 10:59 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Had a great stay recently at this property- no real perks as a Titanium, but did receive a nice view upgrade (no suites were available). Got a lot of value out of the resort fee, but hate having to pay for it on an award stay. I made a video on property in case y'all wanted more visuals. Let me know if I can answer specific questions.

svo242 likes this.
Old May 30, 2021, 4:50 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Does anyone know where the one-bedroom executive suites are located in the hotel? Will the balconies face directly out to the pool or is it a side view?

Also, has anyone had any recent club lounge stays?
Old Nov 6, 2021, 10:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I had a phenomenal stay here last month - highly recommend the property!

Titanium status was recognized several times. No upgrade since we already booked a lakefront executive suite, but we earned lots of points and were able to get a 2pm check-out (although I think that’s more due to the club lounge concierges than being titanium).

We stayed on the club level using our certificates from the Ritz credit card, and it was amazing. Outstanding food and beverage presentations (was more than sufficient as dinner on several nights) and super helpful staff that went above and beyond. You definitely receive elevated service when you have access to the club (ex: we arrived at the hotel at 10am and were able to go to the club for a delicious breakfast, and the club manager promptly offered us a day room to use since our room wouldn’t be ready till about 4pm, which is normal check-in time…just spectacular!). The club rooms can be spread out a bit throughout the hotel, but the elevators were quick and easy, so it was not an issue.

Staff members throughout the property were all great and offered genuine service. Even though it’s a huge hotel, you didn’t feel it thanks to the attentive staff in all areas (reception, pool, restaurants, club, etc.).

Our suite was very nice, with great lakefront views and 1.5 bathrooms. Housekeeping was 2x daily - nice to turndown service back in action, unlike some other resorts in Florida!

Pool was beautiful with plenty of comfortable lounges, attentive food/beverage service, and awesome floats to relax on. The Ritz pool was closed one morning, so we went to the JW pool, and it was like a different world. Furniture was moldy and broken, pool had some dirt and leaves, and service was not nearly as polished or attentive.

My usual Florida spot is the St. Regis Bal Harbour, but I have to say the service here was definitely more polished and genuine all around.
Old Mar 5, 2022, 1:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, American Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by svo242
I had a phenomenal stay here last month - highly recommend the property!

Titanium status was recognized several times. No upgrade since we already booked a lakefront executive suite, but we earned lots of points and were able to get a 2pm check-out (although I think that’s more due to the club lounge concierges than being titanium).

We stayed on the club level using our certificates from the Ritz credit card, and it was amazing. Outstanding food and beverage presentations (was more than sufficient as dinner on several nights) and super helpful staff that went above and beyond. You definitely receive elevated service when you have access to the club (ex: we arrived at the hotel at 10am and were able to go to the club for a delicious breakfast, and the club manager promptly offered us a day room to use since our room wouldn’t be ready till about 4pm, which is normal check-in time…just spectacular!). The club rooms can be spread out a bit throughout the hotel, but the elevators were quick and easy, so it was not an issue.

Staff members throughout the property were all great and offered genuine service. Even though it’s a huge hotel, you didn’t feel it thanks to the attentive staff in all areas (reception, pool, restaurants, club, etc.).

Our suite was very nice, with great lakefront views and 1.5 bathrooms. Housekeeping was 2x daily - nice to turndown service back in action, unlike some other resorts in Florida!

Pool was beautiful with plenty of comfortable lounges, attentive food/beverage service, and awesome floats to relax on. The Ritz pool was closed one morning, so we went to the JW pool, and it was like a different world. Furniture was moldy and broken, pool had some dirt and leaves, and service was not nearly as polished or attentive.

My usual Florida spot is the St. Regis Bal Harbour, but I have to say the service here was definitely more polished and genuine all around.
Definitely agree that the service here is top notch. I stayed twice in 2021, once pre-renovation once post-renovation. Both times upgraded to suites. The renovation definitely refreshed the aesthetic (think more bright/white) although my wife said she prefers the more traditional Ritz palette that they renovated away from. Weirdly the club upgrade fee quoted here is always higher than other Ritz's, even the beachfront Florida ones, don't quite get that. But overall a solid Ritz.
svo242 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.