Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Venice Resort & Spa (Venice, Italy) [Master Thread]

Old Mar 18, 2016, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Elite room upgrades are iffy; they try to sell upgrades.

Hotel website: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/vcejw-jw-marriott-venice-resort-and-spa/
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Venice Resort & Spa (Venice, Italy) [Master Thread]

Old Apr 9, 2019, 11:28 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Raffles
You don't tip in Europe for buffets (and I do 80 nights a year in European hotels). We Europeans just look at this and think it is a way of getting money out of stupid Americans who don't know better.

The resort fee is similar. They are illegal in Italy (and the UK, and probably most of Europe) if compulsory. I get an odd feeling that if I turned up waving a US passport, I would be effectively told it was going on my bill and not told it was optional. Again, the Europeans just laugh at this stuff.

I like this hotel - we've been four times. However, every time I think how great it would be if someone better took it over (and they found out where the wasps nests are).
its the same piece of paper used at the rooftop bar and unless was getting my own drink I’d believe that was a buffet. I will say the barman produce a drinkable martin which even in this cocktail culture, or maybe because of it, is not a common thing.

its an alright resort, good for a quiet day post flight and in that enjoyable. but I can not possibly understand returning unless there was a specific reason. A family with kids would be one.

I will I’ll never understand why European are fascinated with putting glass windows between the shower/sink and sleeping areas of a room. On a fun level it makes it impossible to not illuminate the entire room in the middle of night disturbing any companions sleep unnecessarily. But then it’s baffling how Europeans just cannot design a the tub shower combo. This example is especially bad. High and deep tub walls, I'm not sure how someone of typical local stature easily steps in an out. The tub fill lever, which is joystick like stub, is exactly where your foot swings past whiles stepping in to take a shower. I must have hit it slightly before bed only to wake up to a tub of hot water for slow stream coming from flush mounted output on the tubs wall. The shower head-wand mounted on the wall was really only properly placed if sat on tub edge ledge, standing caused water to just fall on the ledge between the tubs rim and the wall. Though. It did solve the problem of the silly glass half wall universally used locally. A hotel room of this level really should have a separate shower.

The staff is attentive and responsive, though not really to a fine hotel standard but then it isn’t that nor is it priced as that esp with the in-effect discount points earnings give. I assume the one restaurant is worth going to, since it has some accreditation but the breakfast is certainly not impressive. I rarely order omelettes, it’s preferable to avoid rather than be disappointed. This was that even worse the dude with the pan corrected me when I indicated it had cooked long enough. Even the coffee is at best inconsistent and that’s something should a given in Italy. The spa attractively designed with a nice view but really better to look at than use. But I find Italian spas normal more bother than they’re worth, either have separate facilities or follow Northern European spa etiquette.

.The concierges, which to me is the key component of a good hotel, could easily be replaced by an iPad. a letdown when it should have been an opportunity fo not have to think.

again those extra amenities are a sales tools for the hotel's target market. Which is why Marriott is pretty much all in on such fees. €50 for Wi-Fi is offensive I can’t imagine anyone actually pays it nor can I see anyone actually paying for the bikes. On an island of this size using them is a stretch. Interesting you knew the rental price.

i will say thank you, I’ve been looking for new example of a preconceived notion and how to use it in negotiations
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:46 am
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Originally Posted by Ripley62

its the same piece of paper used at the rooftop bar and unless was getting my own drink I’d believe that was a buffet. I will say the barman produce a drinkable martin which even in this cocktail culture, or maybe because of it, is not a common thing.
I find it a little hard to follow your posts. It seems you defend the hotel for the slip of paper, but you also don't seem like a fan of any of their services, hard or soft.

Am I correct in thinking you like this hotel for a family holiday, but perhaps not much else? We're heading there as a family in a few weeks, so I'm just trying to understand the feedback. What elements of the property do you like, or would recommend a family doing at this property?

I have to personally agree with Raffles. Slips of paper for a tip would make me cringe. I don't think this is a discount property at all, regardless of whether you spend points for your room, or cash (like I am). Nor do I think the JW Marriott brand is perceived as sub-standard (though clearly there are far superior brands out there!), regardless of whether people spend points there or not. If it is indeed a corporate events hotel, I'd imagine they're happy to offer a premium service catering to that market, rather than behaving like a discount chain because people use their points there.

Sounds like this is going to be a fun trip! I don't know what to expect any more, ha!
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by JK
If it is indeed a corporate events hotel, I'd imagine they're happy to offer a premium service catering to that market, rather than behaving like a discount chain because people use their points there.
I do meetings and events; corporate boards, seminars, business development retreats. That sort of thing. I could never, ever get a client to approve an event in Venice.

Maybe weddings, junkets for high value customers and the like, but I don't think you could get significant American corporate or nonprofit business here.
JK likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 7:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
As I was curious about the rates at this property I proceeded to do a dummy booking.

I can't believe the J.W. Marriott Venice charges 130 euros for a second person aged 12 or older.

This is outrageous.
JK likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:07 am
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I do meetings and events; corporate boards, seminars, business development retreats. That sort of thing. I could never, ever get a client to approve an event in Venice.

Maybe weddings, junkets for high value customers and the like, but I don't think you could get significant American corporate or nonprofit business here.
Agreed, which is why their original comment confused me (along with other bits in their post). It doesn't strike me as a corporate-events type hotel/resort at all.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA (Lifetime Gold, 1MM),UA(Premier Silver), Hilton(Diamond), Marriott (LTT), Hertz (PC)
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
As I was curious about the rates at this property I proceeded to do a dummy booking.

I can't believe the J.W. Marriott Venice charges 130 euros for a second person aged 12 or older.

This is outrageous.
I'm fairly certain that is for a third person if roll away bed is required(12+). You can test with 2 adults on the websit
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by yjc281
I'm fairly certain that is for a third person if roll away bed is required(12+). You can test with 2 adults on the websit
Correct.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by yjc281
It still comes up when I select 2 adults.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by JK
Agreed, which is why their original comment confused me (along with other bits in their post). It doesn't strike me as a corporate-events type hotel/resort at all.

JWM Venice has an entire building that devoted to corporate events, its the one closest to the water tower and between the Main building and the Uliveto. In that building among other rooms is the Venizia Balroom with a capacity of what looks like 400 a few other meeting room in that building and meeting rooms in the main building. https://www.jwvenice.com/en/meetings-and-events/

We were just there, a 100 person or so sales conference that was leaving and another was coming in during our three days there. The meeting building and Church, in the evening, where being used for corporate events every day we where there.

This is the norm for JWM resorts, its really the business model.

BTW to the comment about about tipping on buffets, its not like those are unheard of in the US. They even exist outside Vegas and every Marriott hotel breakfast room. An no one tips at buffet unless someone goes well beyond the norm.

Last edited by Ripley62; May 4, 2019 at 10:42 am
Old May 4, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Hi everyone. I've booked a stay using Bonvoy points here in September.. I have Bonvoy Titanium status, can anyone confirm if any status benefits are offered - free breakfast for example? I've read the thread but it's unclear....

Thanks
Old May 4, 2019, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by mickeypops
Hi everyone. I've booked a stay using Bonvoy points here in September.. I have Bonvoy Titanium status, can anyone confirm if any status benefits are offered - free breakfast for example? I've read the thread but it's unclear....

Thanks
You get free breakfast. Historically they have not been happy to upgrade for free but will happily delay you at check-in for 10 minutes trying to sell you an upgrade.
Kacee likes this.
Old May 4, 2019, 9:56 am

Thanks Raffles
Old May 4, 2019, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by mickeypops

Thanks
The hotel has a good breakfast buffet in main building, it’s included as a elite benefit.

As far as upgrades we were upgraded more than a week before arrival, no SNA used, to room with a private patio. I’d emailed seeing if further upgrades were available, to a true suite with patio. The agent noted I’d been upgraded as a Ti to a building with the better rooms. Personally I feel we were upgraded because the two medium size groups wanted their attendees to all be in the main building.

Its a a bit expensive, considering the free hotel shuttle boat from San Marco, but at the very least take a water taxi from airport boat landing on San Marco. Coming to the hotel into a water taxi lobby, the dock is like a boat house inside the main building. Is a very cool and dry memorable way to arrive but I’d only do it in good weather when you can be outside. My wife’s comment was 'best taxi ride ever'
Old May 4, 2019, 11:17 am

Thanks Ripley62. Can you advise the procedure to follow to get a water taxi from the airport? The hotel's VIP service offers a meet and greet at the baggage, but it's about double the price.....

Last edited by mickeypops; May 4, 2019 at 11:28 am
Old May 4, 2019, 11:44 am

I emailed the hotel and they arranged it with an outside provider, who had desk in the airport. Plus it was put on my folio €150. But earning points, plus the current promo. I mail before boarding the transatlantic flight the day before checking.

this is the email I used

[email protected]

below is the reply email from the hotel with instructions and the concierge email.

Thank you very much for your kind e-mail below and for choosing JW Marriott Venice Resort & Spa for your upcoming visit to Venice.
We are glad to confirm your Private Water Taxi from Venice Marco Polo Airport as per your request, the service is provided by Venezia Turismo, a company located in the arrival lobby just outside the luggage claim area.
We kindly ask you stay inside the airport and proceed to transportation desk n.71 (please see the attached map) to receive assistance.
The journey will take approximately 45 minutes. The cost of € 150,00 per way for 02 persons and 04 pieces of luggage will be charged on your hotel bill.
After the fourth person, any additional passenger with one bag will have an additional cost of € 15,00, from the fourth piece of luggage, any extra bag will be charged €5,00 for each piece.
For arrivals from 10:00 pm till 7:00 am an additional charge of € 20,00 will be applied, if during this time the desk should be closed, in this case, please, call us at the following number to receive instructions on where to find the water taxi: +39 041 8521300
Cancellation policy: 24 hours. In case of late cancellation or no show, the full cost of the service will be charged.
Do not hesitate to contact us for any additional assistance you may require.
We remain with our best regards. [img]blob:https://www.flyertalk.com/59bb3bf8-b815-4f93-8341-4139cd2b1a2e[/img] JACOPO BASALDELLA

CONCIERGE JW MARRIOTT VENICE RESORT & SPA

Isola delle Rose, Laguna di San Marco 30133 Venezia, Italy

[email protected]  Tel +39.041.852.1300   Fax +39.041.5280449

Have a good trip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.