Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Venice Resort & Spa (Venice, Italy) [Master Thread]

Old Mar 18, 2016, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Elite room upgrades are iffy; they try to sell upgrades.

Hotel website: http://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/vcejw-jw-marriott-venice-resort-and-spa/
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Venice Resort & Spa (Venice, Italy) [Master Thread]

Old Aug 29, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, ALL Silver,, Miles&More
Must be good. I like JWs. Most time of the day anyway spending the time on Venice main island. Looking forward to stay one or two nights at this hotel/resort.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 8:14 am

Just replying to a few questions here:

1. I've stayed at the Hilton Molino once and the JW twice - the Hilton Molino was absolutely great. I got upgraded to a huge room (living room included with views of the canal) and free breakfast and they really did go out of their way for elite members. At JW - well you can see my post a few pages back; dont expect any member privileges. The Hilton is also a bit closer to the main island and it is cheaper.

JW has the better property (its on its own island) but the Hilton is a very nice hotel as well and the rooms are also gorgeous. You have a pretty good chance of getting upgraded at Hilton and the rooms have a view of the canal. I actually thought Hilton had the better rooms.

Overall the JW is mainly for its awe factor (you ride a boat into the island and the property is huge and inviting and everything is brand new) but for practicality the Hilton is probably better and you wont get nickel and dimed for everything.

If I had to choose it would probably be the Hilton simply for cost and elite benefits. I havent read many complaints about the Hilton.

2. They will charge you for the extra adult (more than 2 people). It is massively frustrating because its so confusing on the website when you book that they make it seem like 4 guests are included but in reality they are not. In fact when I checked out on Marriott.com the third adult was not charged for even though I mentioned it in the booking - they do it at check in for some weird reason. The front desk staff acknowledged when I showed them what it says on marriott.com that it is indeed confusing but they didnt do anything to waive the fee. I had a huge argument with the front desk staff and the managers about charging us for this third adult but they did not waive it after many of our attempts.

3. @GermanExpat - There is no free breakfast for elite members (even gold). Read my post a few pages back for more insight. In fact there really isnt any elite privileges at this hotel at all. I got upgraded to a bigger room the first time I stayed when they had just opened but did not during my second stay a year later. Most people have said the same in this thread. Its really irritating at the lack of room upgrades given out at this property considering it looks very empty the both times I've stayed. They always say that "there is an event going on" but the building is so huge I find it really unlikely that they couldnt find a few rooms to move us to on the whole island for our elite upgrade.

The breakfast is better at JW (its one of the best breakfasts I've seen at any hotel) but its not free and the Hilton breakfast is free (for elite members) and it is also very good.

To give credit to Marriott - this is a resort hotel and I believe the policies are clearly stated (except for the extra adult fee). I'm pretty sure they do the same at other Marriott resort properties as well but I'm not entirely sure.

4. The pool - When I stayed only the rooftop pool was open but I did see the pool on the grounds being constructed. I thought the rooftop pool was very awesome when I stayed and there were plenty of loungers but then again other people have said different so maybe it just depends on how lucky you get. The rooftop pool has breathtaking views - it really is remarkable. If you are lucky enough to be out there on a sunny day then you wont be disappointed. This is a small pool though so dont expect to be doing laps in it.

My comments echo exactly what everyone else has said in this thread - its spot on.

Thanks.

Last edited by arpanu; Oct 14, 2016 at 8:33 am
Old Oct 14, 2016, 8:23 am

Also - dont waste your time doing the free Murano glass factory tour.

@KymbaKitty - I'm the same as you. I dont really look at the cost of things very often when I'm on vacation but this place will definitely have you scratching your head. I havent stayed at the Boscolo but it gets great reviews. It just seemed like a very old hotel and every picture I've looked at online makes it look very dark and uninviting. With that being said I have stayed at a few Boscolos around the world and they are always great so maybe its just the pictures online that look bad.

The Hilton is on Giudecca island (I probably misspelled that) so there is some stuff going on the island but not much. Its closer to the main island though and you can actually look out and feel part of the city whereas the JW is so quiet. Its really up to your preference on what you want. The JW is more relaxing.

Overall I'll say the same thing I said at my post a few pages back - if you are expecting any elite privileges do not stay at the JW. Other than that the hotel and grounds are amazing - the rooms are very basic though unless you get upgraded.

Regarding the shuttle back and forth to the island - the Boscolo itself is about a 20-30 min walk from San Marco and it takes about this much time to take the shuttle from JW to San Marco (and if youve ever walked around in Venice you know you can get lost very easily). I didnt really think the shuttle was too bad; its pleasant enough that you dont really think of it as a time waster and the shuttle runs very late so you can hang out on the main island as long as you wish.

This is just my opinion but theres a lot of time to do things in Venice as there isnt a lot to see really. Just walking around and admiring the architecture is enough but thats just me.

Last edited by arpanu; Oct 14, 2016 at 8:30 am
Old May 1, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: UA - Silver and dropping...
Stayed here for 2 nights as the first stop for our honeymoon. I emailed them three months prior when we booked, saying we were excited to spend our honeymoon there and to please have champagne ready when we arrived, in the room. I reminded them again a few weeks before as i booked their private shuttle service from the airport ($260 ea way) As a platinum member, I guess I was overly hopeful that I'd get an upgrade. Upon arrival, no upgrade - they offered to upgrade me for almost $400 extra per night, which we didn't take. Our room had no champagne waiting in it. When I called down, they apologized and sent up the Champagne.. on the final bill, I noted the charge of almost $300 for that bottle of Champagne. Worst place ever for a platinum traveler to come for a special occasion. As others have noted, the place is really beautiful but they really treated us like we didn't matter. Service was completely lack luster and we weren't special in anyway - something that as dual platinum members and honeymooners - we were just expecting more. Maybe even a 'Congratulations' comment from the staff or something. Nothing. Won't return and will not recommend to anyone visiting Venice, ever.
Old May 1, 2017, 10:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Sorry to hear about your experience. But I'll say CONGRATULATIONS! on your wedding!

Cheers.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 2:41 pm

Any DPs on this hotel recently?

Currently booked there for 2 nights next June with wife and 2 infants. I understand we won't be allowed at the rooftop pool with the kids.

Any luck with upgrades or breakfast for Platinum members?

Worth it or should be find somewhere else to stay?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ennsy
I don't believe Marriott offers breakfast to Platinums at "Resorts"

Regards
ennsy likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Any DPs on this hotel recently?

Currently booked there for 2 nights next June with wife and 2 infants. I understand we won't be allowed at the rooftop pool with the kids.

Worth it or should be find somewhere else to stay?
We've been 3 times now, last in August, with our kids. No benefits of note. BUT it is a good hotel and the Junior Suites are a really good shape and take 2 rollsways easily. Hotel is also good value compared to other options - see if 'points and cash' can get you a JS.

Every trip has frustrations because it could be brilliant if they 'got it' but we would happily go back.

Old Dec 20, 2017, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Did you FIRST checkout Sharon's sticky before posting this question ?

She goes to alot of trouble to maintain it.

Any luck with .........breakfast for Platinum members?

Old Dec 21, 2017, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Raffles

We've been 3 times now, last in August, with our kids. No benefits of note. BUT it is a good hotel and the Junior Suites are a really good shape and take 2 rollsways easily. Hotel is also good value compared to other options - see if 'points and cash' can get you a JS.

Every trip has frustrations because it could be brilliant if they 'got it' but we would happily go back.

Yeah they want 200EUR/night for the JS. Not sure I can swing that. Sucks there are no bennies. Breakfast would help out a lot.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Yeah they want 200EUR/night for the JS.
You mean JW? 200 euro is cheap in Venice. When we were there in April everything decent was at least 400 euro per night.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
You mean JW? 200 euro is cheap in Venice. When we were there in April everything decent was at least 400 euro per night.
Sorry I wasn't clear. The 200EUR is on top of the 40,000 points/night.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Sorry I wasn't clear. The 200EUR is on top of the 40,000 points/night.
Got it, thanks.

Not sure why, but Marriott puts the cash + points rate at the top of the search results page . . . sometimes if you scroll down there will be a points only rate farther down. I've missed that before.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Got it, thanks.

Not sure why, but Marriott puts the cash + points rate at the top of the search results page . . . sometimes if you scroll down there will be a points only rate farther down. I've missed that before.
Yeah I've noticed that too. Unfortunately not in this case.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
200 euros on top of 40,000 points per night is a rip-off. Do they at least give you free breakfast for the 200 euros?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.