Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Residence Inn by Marriott Times Square New York [Master Thread]

Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:27 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Did a search on this forum, but most discussions seems to be about the Marriot Marquis or the Renaissance Times Square.

Anyone have any recent experience with the Residence Inn by Marriott Times Square New York

All their rooms already provide access to the heart lounge and complimentary breakfast. Any extra perks for MR Gold / Plat?

Thanks!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
don't know how you searched but there are 42-posts in the Res Inn TS found in this existing thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/searc...1&pp=25&page=2

Originally Posted by CanucksHKG
Did a search on this forum, but most discussions seems to be about the Marriot Marquis or the Renaissance Times Square.

Anyone have any recent experience with the Residence Inn by Marriott Times Square New York

All their rooms already provide access to the heart lounge and complimentary breakfast. Any extra perks for MR Gold / Plat?

Thanks!
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:53 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BKKLEE
don't know how you searched but there are 42-posts in the Res Inn TS found in this existing thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/searc...1&pp=25&page=2
Yes, but if you read the actual results...there's only ~5 posts that commented on the actual stay at the hotel from 2009-2012.
And total of no more than 9 posts when you take into account from 2001-present.

Hence I was wondering if any FTer's have stayed there recently.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
I have no problem with your question............I only point out that it should have been posted in the Manhattan City "family" thread and not started as a new one........it still would have come up as one of the top threads to be read............

if you look through this forum you'll notice several threads have been merged into the "existing" thread verses others starting unnecesary duplicate threads on the same props.....

Yes, but if you read the actual results...there's only ~5 posts that commented on the actual stay at the hotel from 2009-2012.
And total of no more than 9 posts when you take into account from 2001-present.

Hence I was wondering if any FTer's have stayed there recently.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA,AA,WN, Marriott & Hilton Gold

Anyone have any recent experience?
I'm staying there this weekend, I'll let you know if I get any special treatment as a gold.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 7:57 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I'm a big fan of RI and the only special treatment here is possible upgrade from a studio to a 1BR or a 1BR to a 2BR. Being Manhattan, its very possible they don't even have 2BR and/or would be very reluctant to give those away.

Used to be automatic in the past, not as such anymore for me. Good luck.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
I have no problem with your question............I only point out that it should have been posted in the Manhattan City "family" thread and not started as a new one........it still would have come up as one of the top threads to be read............

if you look through this forum you'll notice several threads have been merged into the "existing" thread verses others starting unnecesary duplicate threads on the same props.....
Actually I'm not a big fan of merging threads into a "family" thread (especially one that dates back several years) when a question is on a specific property. Not everyone wants to plow through several pages of a family thread when they're interested in only one particular property. I think CanucksHKG, given the research he did & the (lack of) results he found, in this case was right to start a new thread.

Re: family threads - and not related to the OP's question (since I have no recent stays at the RI Times Square), I wonder if, on the family threads, the mod can do a 'cut-off' for start time & move more recent posts in a family thread into a new family thread - ie, if a family thread was started in 2001, the earlier posts are outdated a decade later. Hmm, something to discuss w/ the mod if it doesn't create too much work for him.

Cheers.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:28 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Basically lived in this hotel for a month summer 2012.

No upgrade for me from a studio (platinum) - probably due to the length of time I was there. They were very accomodating about giving me different view options at least (some rooms have nice views of the Empire State bldg, some rooms face Bryant Park)

It's a functional, if uninspired, hotel. Studio rooms are smaller than the normal Residence Inn (with basically no closet space) but good sized for New York.

Elevators can be slow - there is frequently one out of service.

One big quirk is that none of the "kitchens" actually have an oven or stove. Only a microwave, full sized fridge, and a giant dishwasher (why a huge diswasher but no stovetop??). You can request a hot-plate for the room, which made me think of dorm days...

Breakfast is bedlam on a weekend morning, we generally avoided it. You will get an automated voicemail each Friday and Saturday night from the hotel basically telling you to forget about breakfast unless you get down there before 9am on weekends - annoying if you stay long term and each Friday and Saturday had to clear out the voicemail to get the stupid light to stop blinking.

Breakfast itself is pretty decent. Cut melon, some form scrambled eggs, and they tend to alternate between turkey Canadian bacon and sausauge. There is usually a breakfast sandwhich of some sort. One nice thing they do is they have yoghurt parfaits.

The location is great, right next to Bryant Park and on the B/D/F/M (42nd St/Bryant Park). Rock Center and Times Square right nearby, easy subway access downtown. Restaurants in the immediate area are so-so (typical Times Square mediocre tourist stuff)

Staff is average/fine- don't really stand out or go out of their way, but not bad either.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 12:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update re: the property!

Cheers.
Old May 13, 2019, 1:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - 5/10 - 5/12

Location: Pretty much every hotel between 35th and 55th Street in New York adds the words "Times Square" to their name. This hotel is fairly close being located on 6th Avenue between 38th and 39th Street. Across 39th Street is an entrance to the 42nd/6th Avenue Subway Stop (B/D/F/M/7 Lines) and on 40th and 7th two blocks away is an entrance to the Times Square (1/2/3/A/C/E/N/R/Q/W/7/S Lines) stop. Penn Station is a half mile walk away. Around the hotel is a Pret a Manager, a Chick Fil A, a local deli and on 40th and 7th is a 24 hour CVS. Location wise it's pretty good

Hotel: The hotel is a 25 story high rise brick building which is in decent repair but ill suited as a large family hotel. There's a tiny lobby with a single public computer and small snack shop. On weekend mornings it's overcrowded easily. The 3rd floor has a bar and restaurant which serves dinner and breakfast and is again quite crowded. Waits for the elevator can be long too and on weekend mornings it was almost impossible to squeeze onto cars going down because by the time they got to me on 19 they were full.

Check In: I was asked "points?" and that was it as far as elite recognition. Still, I was able to confirm a 4 PM checkout and the agent was nice enough to direct me to where I could buy cheaper snacks than at the lobby marketplace

Room: I had picked this hotel because I was traveling with my girlfriend and her child and I wanted a larger room. It was larger than some NYC rooms I've been in but still really small for a RI. The bed and couch take up about all of the available space and the bathroom was shockingly small. While the kitchen was nice it's not really usable for anything but storing stuff in the fridge. We also had to call to get things like towels (we were originally given all of one).

Breakfast: As I mentioned above it gets really crowded. There were scrambled eggs, sausage, waffles and grits plus breads, fruit, yogurt and cereal. The second day I just went to Pret A Manger to skip the crowds.

The hotel goes for 35,000 points a night and for being in Midtown it's a good choice, but it's not much of a Residence Inn.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 3:15 pm
wma

Programs: AA, HH, Marriott Titanium Elite
Recently had a three night stay at the Residence Inn (Times Square). The location was great. The bed was very comfortable. That's where the plusses ended. As Titanium for life we expected an upgrade. I guess we did get one - corner room on 15 floor. View was nothing. I wouldn't have cared but what transpired next was not good. We left the room at 8AM on Fri only to return at 4PM to the room NOT made up. I put the tag on the door in the morning. Making sure that the Privacy side was NOT showing. When I phoned to ask why the room wasn't cleaned (we'll talk about the phone in the next paragraph) I was told it was because of the sign. I stated that the Privacy side was not exposed and was told that the side that was exposed said 'All set" no housekeeping needed. Who knew both sides meant stay away. They did send up housekeeping. The two women cleaned the room. They unplugged the clock radio and took the remote control with them. Neither which I noticed until we returned from dinner at 10:30.

Phone ISSUE
Thur afternoon - phoned to report cleaning needed (see above) must've rung about 30 times before anyone answered. Then later that night I phoned the front desk at about 10:30 to ask about breakfast and the about printing a speech I needed for the next morning. Phone must've rang about 30 times NO answer. We tried again. Still no answer. Gave up.

Fri -- I then phoned the front desk at about 10PM to tell them housekeeping took remote. This time 50+ rings before any one answered. I was told maintenance would bring up remote. Maintenance never came. I tried calling but again no answer so I gave up. I told front desk about issue Saturday morning at 7:30 when I left the hotel for the day.

Saturday - I had a message on my phone. I listened and it was a manager saying they were sorry and I should phone. Haha. I did and it rang many many times before anyone picked up. I connected with different manager. He apologized, said he would send up a remote and give me 7000 points for my troubles. When I finally spoke with managers I mentioned that usually there are dedicated phone customer service and not the front desk who answer. They said they used to have that but decided to give that up. Big mistake. A technician came up and gave us a remote. He didn't test it and we didn't think about testing and had to leave for our evening appointment. Came back at around 10 and tried the TV. Remote didn't work. Tried to call down - You guessed it after 50+ rings gave up again. We were too tired from a very long day to go downstairs.

Sunday - next morning packed to leave and have breakfast. About 9AM. Took 20 minutes and 4 elevators to get downstairs. Each time one stopped it was too full for anyone with a rollaboard. Didn't stop for bkfst as we were on a tight time table and didn't have another 15 minutes to get down to first floor after breakfast. On my way out we expressed the remote, phone and elevator issue to front desk agent. She was very nice and gave us back one night 35K points.

Getting 35K didn't really help us get to sleep as we watch 5-10 min of TV to wind down and decompress. Would I stay at RI Times Square again? An unequivocal NO.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:48 am

I've stayed here quite a few times over the years. My experiences were more in line with CMK's than WMA's. Over the past few years I've been staying at the RI Midtown/East on 48th. I'm usually there a few times a year and was just there last week and last month. They take great care of us and I've never had a service issue there. They even usually put me up in the same room every stay if it's available, or one just like it on a different floor. It's also much quieter/less crowded than the RI Times Square.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.